Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

2016. I think it's broken somehow. It is literally jet black on my TV apart from the odd red bit. The download must be corrupt. 

Is your TV on stand-by? 
(with the wee red stand-by light?)

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I had a go at Doom. It was black and red. I couldn't see a thing. Is it supposed to be like that? It's basically unplayable. 

Have you fully downloaded the game?  When I played this, it didn’t work properly until the whole thing was installed, even though it said ready to start.  The game does start, but doesn’t display correctly.

How's The Messenger? Something I should drop other games for and play? 

It's one of those that was on my to play list, but like Joni Mitchell said, you don't know what you've got til it's (nearly) gone, and now I'm looking at it in a different way. 

Probably only have time for that or Outer Wilds though, maybe not both. 

The messenger is fun, although some of the bosses are bastards, and the late game can get tiresome.

The Outer Wilds joins Return of the Obra Dinn as a recent true classic. Not without its flaws, but there's so much heart in there. It's on another level.

I'm currently playing Just Cause 4. It's a bit of a mess but blowing stuff up is fun and the rules are a bit inconsistent. Grapple an object and it'll be ripped off it's hinges. Grapple a person and they just wriggle about. It's also a bit blurry in places and overly complicated with menus everywhere.

Just Cause 3 is a lot better but was hampered last gen by poor framerates (2 is best). Just Cause 4 was a real disappointment for me. 

I hope 3 gets FPS Boosted soon, and finally gets to shine.. 

The new consoles should have enough cpu power to finally do a Red Faction Guerrilla sequel.

41 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Just Cause 3 is a lot better but was hampered last gen by poor framerates (2 is best). Just Cause 4 was a real disappointment for me. 

I hope 3 gets FPS Boosted soon, and finally gets to shine.. 

The new consoles should have enough cpu power to finally do a Red Faction Guerrilla sequel.

I loved Red Faction Guerrilla. Any open world game with big explosive stuff to destroy is right up my street.

July - August is going to be crazy:

July 27th - Flight Simulator

July 29th - The Ascent

August 13th - Hades

August 19th - 12 Minutes

August 25th - Psychonauts 2

I want to try all five of those and I almost certainly would have been willing to pay for at least three. I'm just not sure where I'm going to find the time.

There will also be other games not announced be released on GP as normal each month ie older games 

It's a busy time and amazing. Yet again I'm thinking "is there any point me having another console?" 

13 minutes ago, Ry said:

There will also be other games not announced be released on GP as normal each month ie older games 

It's a busy time and amazing. Yet again I'm thinking "is there any point me having another console?" 

There are moments when I think this about my beloved PC, but then I see something cool elsewhere and realise that I am hopelessly addicted to gaming, and if something takes my fancy (which it inevitably does...all the time) I'll buy a new piece of tech to get my fix. 

Most of the time during a gen I'll happily trade in one machine to pick up another, only to do the same later on down the line. I pretend it's a lease-hold situation.

The 360/PS3 gen was the worst for that. I went through a whole lot of consoles that gen!

I love it, and I suspect I always will. 

The death of gaming for me will come when streaming becomes the only way to play things...no doubt it'll happen sometime, but hopefully not for a while.

15 hours ago, neoELITE said:

2016. I think it's broken somehow. It is literally jet black on my TV apart from the odd red bit. The download must be corrupt. 

Like this?

Downloaded Carrion because of a recommendation on here.

Started using headphones with it a few days ago. My god, the sound design is fantastic. It’s gone from being a great indie Metroidvania to an epic John Carpenter simulator.

3 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Downloaded Carrion because of a recommendation on here.

Started using headphones with it a few days ago. My god, the sound design is fantastic. It’s gone from being a great indie Metroidvania to an epic John Carpenter simulator.

This is a good example of why Gamepass is such a good service. There are literally loads of hidden gems on there for most of us to discover, a lot of them would never be discovered if we didn't get to try them for free. I've actually bought quite a few former gamepass entries just because I discovered them on there and didn't want to be without them in my collection when it was announced they'd be removed from the service. It's an extra bonus we get the chance to buy them at a discount too. 

Similar to the above, if I've not gotten round to a game I wanted to play and it then leaves Game Pass, it's normally super cheap to purchase when it next goes on sale. It's certainly much cheaper than it would have been if I had bought it brand new, which I used to do all the time. Buy loads of new games digitally day one, not play them and regret not waiting for a sale. Game Pass is saving me money both ways.

21 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No, also available in Europe

Is there a URL for that because when I click on it from the UK store it redirects me to US and prices it in dollars.

A hilarious number of dollars, so maybe someone just tell me the UK price so I can laugh and move on.

56 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Is there a URL for that because when I click on it from the UK store it redirects me to US and prices it in dollars.

A hilarious number of dollars, so maybe someone just tell me the UK price so I can laugh and move on.

There’s a U.K. design lab link on resetera. Prices look to be around £60 or so.

22 hours ago, neoELITE said:

When you're adjusting the brightness, there are three different panels on the screen, not two. Adjust the slider further to the right until you can see all three. 

At least, this is what my age-addled mind is telling me about Doom, 'cos I recall a mate being similarly confused.

Edit: it could be the glitch above, of course.

Tried Outer Wilds for an hour and finding it hard to warm too. This is largely due to how fiddly it feels - floating and drifting about isn't satisfying or accurate enough for me and just makes exploration a chore. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Outer Wilds is worth playing but it’s one I admired rather enjoyed - did feel like I was fighting with the controls a bit too much at times. 

That's exactly how I feel. 

I enjoy the concept of the game being open, mysterious, stuck in an engaging time loop, but the movement is so... drifty and imprecise. I'm sure some people can do amazing things with the flight and jetpack controls, but I'd rather it was all a bit more standard so I could engage with the gameplay a bit more, rather than wrestle with moving upwards, forwards or landing. Most of my deaths have been from messing up the movement rather than the timeloop expiring. 

It's worth sticking with it, as you do get used to the controls after a while. At the start I was the same (my first expedition ended with me crash landing directly into the nearest moon) but by the end I was pulling off some ridiculous manoeuvres. 

I never had any issues with the controls in Outer Wilds but I wonder now if it’s because I played it on PC at a higher framerate with lower than average input lag. Out of interest when I got my Series X I fired up the Xbox version and it felt worse than I remember.

Stick with though, you’ll get good with the controls in no time. It probably also helps a bit if you understand that objects in zero gravity have no drag so they accelerate indefinitely until you actively decelerate. The autopilot wants to kill you. Landing isn’t too hard if you land in sensible spots and use the downward camera and levels in the ship to your advantage. Match velocity is your best friend. 

There’s a really high skill ceiling and steep learning curve to flying the ship but the game is long enough that you’ll be great at it way before the end. 

The Outer Wilds is one of the best games I’ve ever played, and can’t say I found anything untoward about the controls. 

Also just clocked DQXIS, with a whopping 67 hours. It’s one of the very best JRPG’s, with some of the most gloriously silly characters going. It’s simplicity is absolutely a virtue!