Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

The Series S is a really smart move by Microsoft. £250 for a console that includes a controller and 500GB SSD drive, and can play current gen games at 60FPS. I'm not sure what people expect for the price point. It is cheaper than a new PS4 Slim model from Amazon. Microsoft have clearly put their money into Game Pass, and the Series S offers a much more affordable way to play the newest games, even with some compromises.

Not everyone is a technophile. We have all seen people watching SD channels where HD alternatives are available, or stretched 4:3 images, on their 4k TVs. Honestly, I wonder if I would really notice the difference between a Series S and X machine running the same game, even knowing that one is 120fps and a 4k image. How many people will genuinely benefit from a Series X over its smaller sibling?

Yes, I thought Digital Foundry and everyone had pretty much concluded that it did exactly what it set out to do - the same games, but at a lower resolution so it's not holding anything back.

It's super wild to see someone claiming the opposite based of a game hitting 1080p 120fps/1440p 60fps, like huh? Gamers really do seem to hate anything different from the norm for even existing.

Yep, I've got friends that gamed when they were teenagers/early twentysomethings, but have lapsed since graduating, getting a proper job, moving in with a wife or girlfriend, having kids etc, and they've picked up an S. 

Admittedly I might have nudged them towards it. 

But it's really well suited to that market. They wouldn't probably be able to justify the effort and cost of tracking down a PS5 or Series X.  Then you add £70 games on, which are a bit more for an impulse purchase and a part-time hobby. 

I think it's elitist to say it's not for any serious gamers as well. I sat out the Xbox last gen due to the direction they went in and the rarity of the console here in Japan making it infeasible.

Didn't have an Xbox on my radar this time until they came out with a lower priced version that made a third console possible. And had Gamepass which gave me a massive back catalogue for a relative pittance. 

A £250 next-gen console on release is exactly why I have one - a cut price option that means I can play the new releases, and gain a boost to my existing titles. I'd laugh at any assertion that I'm not a serious gamer, I'm just not going to throw another £200 on, that in the current circumstances I can't even use.

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

I don't see the point of the no disc ps5 so much the saving isn't enough to justify the compromise. 

If you regular gameshare with someone it could be a decent option or if you went digital last gen.

My concern with the S is that people talk about it losing graphical features compared to the X at the start of the generation. Later on, when the X is being pushed, then I wonder how much of a poor relation the S will become. 

9 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

If you regular gameshare with someone it could be a decent option or if you went digital last gen.

Yeah, I've not bought a physical game since, I think, MGS V. Digital sales are constant and you can consistently get store credit for less than it's worth. I have very little physical media in my life now and I don't miss it, so it suits me. 

Most next gen games so far look either identical to Xbox One X or PS4 Pro games, or ever so slightly souped up. The only games that this doesn't really apply to are PS5 exclusive, anyway.

The most next gen features come from the SSD or the fact that they're 60fps (i.e. CPU, which is basically identical between S and X), not because the games are 4K instead of 1080p/1440p.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

As far as I know the S keeps up the frame rate in the main, so the following is abour ChrisN's 'boy that escalated quickly' post as a whole rather than aimed at any specific machine.

Calling frame rate just 'shinies' is a really wrongheaded comment.

Besides, if you're really hardcore about gameplay being the only thing that matters over 'shinies' or frame rate then you shouldn't buy any of the current consoles, a cheap as chips xbox one will do you just fine. 

And I wasn't meaning to imply that  serious fans of games shouldn't buy the series s, but that if it's your main hobby you're probably better off spending the extra on the x as it's an even better value than the s. Both systems are great but the extra power, larger storage, disc drive and yes extra "shinies" are worth the difference if you can afford it. If you have a powerful PC or ps5 then it doesn't matter as much. 

I recently sold my S and I was nothing but impressed by how it ran everything. I was actually sad that I sold it even though I'd replaced it with an X. It's an amazing console for it's size and price

31 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

I recently sold my S and I was nothing but impressed by how it ran everything. I was actually sad that I sold it even though I'd replaced it with an X. It's an amazing console for it's size and price

If it makes you happier, I'm really enjoying it! 

I struggle to see the extra shinies in the latest graphics, as long as the resolution is decent and the framerate is stable, I'm good (PS4 era graphics look great to me). No desire for an X whatsoever, and I have a PS5 to compare it to. 

The important part with the new consoles is CPU parity, and fast storage - they're the main limiters. Xbox One is slow and incomparable. 

I love my S (and my X) - It's my secondary Xbox for upstairs and it's brilliant. As I've always said, an S and TV upgrade is a much bigger next gen leap than your old TV and an X,

As much as the geeks are going to get an X, the S is for the mainstream. However, the more I think about it, the more I think that the target market is going to shrink with time. When TV Xbox apps let you stream game pass games (from Xs no less!), the mainstream are going to go there, not to the S.

Ironically Stadia's pads that connect via wifi, would be a perfect fit here. I've used Stadia, the lag is good enough for the mainstream.

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

if it's your main hobby you're probably better off spending the extra on the x as it's an even better value than the s

I don't have (or have space for) a 4K TV and have never given a toss about frame rates, so I'm not going to get £200 worth of value out of a Series X. That has nothing to do with whether or not gaming is my main hobby.

Is this some sort of weird gatekeeping schtick? I couldn't possibly be a real gamer because my gaming telly is 22" 1080p and I can't name all of the characters in Street Fighter?

Lol enough of this S slander. It’s an incredible piece of kit and would recommend the combo of PS5 and S to anyone who wants to take part in everything this generation has to offer. Living rooms simply aren’t designed to have both full fat machines taking up space at the same time.

Another shout for the S here. It's small, it's quiet, it's very very fast and Halo 4 looks absolutely lovely on it. Even if I have to upgrade it in a couple of years it's a fantastic little box for now. 

And xcloud gaming has been at least partially updated with series blades, and suddenly it just works at a decent response rate and loading times on my iPad.

on the supported games. Get an old blade and it’s still a sound stuttering mess.

6 hours ago, tobert said:

My concern with the S is that people talk about it losing graphical features compared to the X at the start of the generation. Later on, when the X is being pushed, then I wonder how much of a poor relation the S will become. 

Maybe the X will be generally available for purchase at that point. 

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

I don't have (or have space for) a 4K TV and have never given a toss about frame rates, so I'm not going to get £200 worth of value out of a Series X. That has nothing to do with whether or not gaming is my main hobby.

Is this some sort of weird gatekeeping schtick? I couldn't possibly be a real gamer because my gaming telly is 22" 1080p and I can't name all of the characters in Street Fighter?

No. I guess I'm not making my point well so forget it.

No, to be fair I think I get where you're coming from - it's the most powerful option available that will play the games in the best form possible (other platforms notwithstanding) so makes sense to assume that's what everyone should be aspiring to.

The error is the belief that everyone cares about the same thing. I'm not going to find, say, Doom Eternal any more fun just because it's got more pixels. My perspective is always on the other side of things - is this running badly enough that it has a negative impact on my play? If not, I'm good.

My main concerns around the S was the small amount of SSD space (and upgrading this effectively brings the cost up to that of an X) and the fact it's tied to the S branch for last gen games.

But it looks amazing and is a stonking deal especially with gamepass

I've just finished the story bit of Unravel Two with my wife. It was a fun couch coop game to play. Sometimes it felt like it was fun despite the mood the game tries to create. It's has nice playful mechanics and yet seems quite dreary and po faced at times.

3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Another shout for the S here. It's small, it's quiet, it's very very fast and Halo 4 looks absolutely lovely on it. Even if I have to upgrade it in a couple of years it's a fantastic little box for now. 

For me, I've enjoyed getting back aboard the Xbox infrastructure and Gamepass to the degree that I'll probably want the premium option later, as I'm going to get the use out of it. 

However, rather than give in to my inner demon asking for an X, I reckon it'll be much more sensible to wait for the inevitable mid-gen upgrade. Going from S to X-2 in a few years is more logical now. 

Plus, people talking about the lower power option dragging things down need to realise there X is probably going to be a lower power option in a few years anyway. That's just how it works now. 

8 hours ago, monkeydog said:

I've just finished the story bit of Unravel Two with my wife. It was a fun couch coop game to play. Sometimes it felt like it was fun despite the mood the game tries to create. It's has nice playful mechanics and yet seems quite dreary and po faced at times.

Yeah I liked it in co-op, definitely the way to play it if you can. I’d like more games like this on Game pass, Knights & Bikes is superb in co-op too. 

I’d have been happy with an S, but got an X because I still own some physical 360 games, and it’s also replacing a bluray player in my space limited cabinet.