Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

I did the upgrade for a pound thing ages ago, my Ultimate (and I assume Live) has got most over a month on, if I add another year or Live now will it stay as GamePass Ultimate?

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

I can't really say anything due to NDA, but might I suggest being ready for The Ascent. 

Worst ‘I’m under a NDA’ post ever. 

No idea if this is a good sign or not based on some of the shit you liked in the Gamestyle days. 

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

I did the upgrade for a pound thing ages ago, my Ultimate (and I assume Live) has got most over a month on, if I add another year or Live now will it stay as GamePass Ultimate?

NO!

it will convert at a much lower rate. like 3 months or summit.

Best thing to do now, is let it expire, then, stack ya 3 years of live, after its expired, and convert for the £10.99.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

As positive as, say, Hades? 

That's like comparing a perfectly cooked steak with a perfect burger. 

I love both but they are very different foods. If you get what I mean. 

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

That's like comparing a perfectly cooked steak with a perfect burger. 

I love both but they are very different foods. If you get what I mean. 

Which one’s the steak and which is the burger.

Nobody would really choose a burger over a steak, would they?

17 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

NO!

Best thing to do now, is let it expire, then, stack ya 3 years of live, after its expired, and convert for the £10.99.

Ah so let it go, get a year or two then upgrade and it’ll upgrade for the full year or two and not just a month.  Cheers. 

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

Which one’s the steak and which is the burger.

Nobody would really choose a burger over a steak, would they?

A GREAT burger is something to behold. We're not talking chain burgers here.

Something about the Ascent has looked special for months now, so much so that I preloaded it as soon as it was available.

I'm really looking forward to it - not in the least because on PC the ray traced lighting looks to be the most beautiful thing since Cyberpunk.

8 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

GTAV is disappearing again.

Aha, I’m almost glad given I bought it on the Series X but still haven’t played it yet….. added it to the 360, ps3 and PS4 purchases….

5 hours ago, carlospie said:

I hope the ascent had a 40 GB day one launch patch like flight sim. That was a cool idea. 

That’d be fine, it wouldn’t use the flight sim content manager.

15 hours ago, 5R7 said:

NO!

Does that work out cheaper than buying loads of 7 day codes, as mentioned in Bargains (about £72 for the year) 

16 hours ago, Isaac said:

I mean just look at this shit:

Looks great, I haven't really looked much as I knew I'd be giving it a go, but I hope it's not all shooting. This could be a cool environment for a detective/story driven game. It could be a 3rd person isometric Cyberpunk2077, with that look.  Maybe even a functional one too! 

I have finally succumbed to game pass.  Mostly because I want to play MS flight simulator - although the overwhelming number of games I can now get my hands on frightens me in terms of playing what I have!

It'll take to morning on the 100+ GB for the flight sim, so I won't think  about it for now.

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

Shawn Layden says MS need 500m GP subscribers to justify making $120m games.

His maths seem to be out by a couple of orders of magnitude there. 

It’ll be something to do with attach rates: how many of that subscriber base actually play that game.

8/9% of PS4 owners played The Last Of Us 2 in the first year or so (say 10 million copies from 115 million install base). I think he’s then just assumed the same number and multiplied the monthly difference in price ($10, $60 digital sale) and it’s pretty easy to get to 500m. Eventually it’s not just about covering your costs. You’ll see similar low attach rates for anything churned out by Netflix.

I don’t think that the maths are a couple of orders of magnitude out for a large single player game, if that’s the  reasoning - it’s purely an ROI decision.

Nate’s point in his newsletter that Microsoft use it as a loss leader / investment with a long tail is true, but eventually you do need a return. I suppose the argument is that you sticky people into your sub, so the lower attach rate is amortised over multiple months subs from the same people - but it isn’t going to be multiple orders of magnitude.

He's now ex-Sony I believe and as a rule people who actually work in the industry tend to be far less wrapped up in tribal console war nonsense than people on the internet and happily move between companies.

Not saying he's right, but the 'Wah, he used to play for the other team immediately discount anything he says' response is a bit childish.

5 hours ago, footle said:

It’ll be something to do with attach rates: how many of that subscriber base actually play that game.

But that makes no difference - once they are a subscriber, if they actually play a specific title or not doesn't affect the revenue generated. One of the advantages of the subscription model is the (semi) predictable income model (it's not dependent on each game being a hit, more that each game captures a section of the audience and engages them enough to keep subscribing).

If MS really did hit 500m subscribers on GP - that would be a theoretical $5bn a month - I think that might just cover the cost of a $120m game or two.

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

Shawn Layden says MS need 500m GP subscribers to justify making $120m games.

His maths seem to be out by a couple of orders of magnitude there. 

Or just charge 70 pounds for new games