Xbox Game Pass

Harsin

46 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Make sure your sub has lapsed before adding the 3 years and it'll work fine. I did it about 3 weeks ago; just banged on the 3 subs and upgraded from the dashboard for £10.99

Pretty sure I only paid £1 when I did this after letting PC GamePass lapse a few months back. Worst case it's £10.99 but you may be pleasantly surprised.

4 hours ago, christaylor said:

I use a separate app for connecting/streaming from your own actual Xbox, Xbox Companion app: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/xbox-console-companion/9wzdncrfjbd8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

It can take a couple of attempts to connect, I found I needed to enter the IP address of the console manually (you can find this buried in the network settings on the console) and occasionally the first time you hit the "Stream" button it fails, but always connects the second time you click it.

I also found I had to make sure my profile was loaded when the Xbox is switched on (by default it goes to my Son's profile, and then the companion app won't connect as I'm logged into the app with my own xbox profile)

Once connected it's been pretty much perfect for me. Worth the initial setup hassle for the flexibility of streaming to my laptop or PC upstairs.

The old console companion app only works for Xbox One machines and not the Series S or X (never been entirely clear why).

Steaming now works for all Xbox’s in the main Xbox app (formerly Gamepass Beta app) and they are sun setting the console companion app.

As I noted yesterday however although it’s there and can see my Series S in the app I couldn’t get it to actually stream…

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

The old console companion app only works for Xbox One machines and not the Series S or X (never been entirely clear why).

Steaming now works for all Xbox’s in the main Xbox app (formerly Gamepass Beta app) and they are sun setting the console companion app.

As I noted yesterday however although it’s there and can see my Series S in the app I couldn’t get it to actually stream…

Ah right, apologies for the misdirection. 

Yeah crazy good selection to try out today. All but Flynn downloading ready to try out in the next few days.

Although I want to finish off the Carto achiements first. Oh, and complete The Artful Escape. Lucky my social calendar is bare for a week after tonight.

My nephew recently got his first skateboard at age 7 and wanted a Skateboard game to play. His mother has no idea about games so refuses to let him play any games cert 12 and over. The Skate are all like 16 plus. Tony Hawk remaster is 12 plus. I thought this Skatebird thing might at least be suitable even if its kind of rubbish but no because somehow the makers have managed to get a 12 certificate for edgy language on a game with cute, little birds on skateboards 🤦‍♂️

Thankfully I've got him hooked on Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts but fucking hell.

I downloaded Limbo. Never played it before and was only vaguely aware of it. It's brilliant. That first bear trap was brutal and who are these people trying to murder me and where am I? No intro at all... which was amazing to realise.

Lumines too is one I've never played. I just started that and it's clicked in my brain how to play it after a few goes. 

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

I downloaded Limbo. Never played it before and was only vaguely aware of it. It's brilliant. That first bear trap was brutal and who are these people trying to murder me and where am I? No intro at all... which was amazing to realise.

Lumines too is one I've never played. I just started that and it's clicked in my brain how to play it after a few goes. 

Have you played Inside? Give that a go after Limbo if you haven’t. That’s brilliant as well.

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

Have you played Inside? Give that a go after Limbo if you haven’t. That’s brilliant as well.

No. These games don't usually appeal to me really which is stupid as I loved the game with Abe on the PS1. I think Unravel put me off. 

1 minute ago, neoELITE said:

No. These games never appealed to me really which is stupid as I loved the game with Abe on the PS1.

You’re in for a treat then! It’s even better than Limbo.

3 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Is Flynn Son of Crimson any good? It seems to have good reviews but the first stage is a proper snoozefest. Does it get better soon or is it not for me?

It picks up nicely and is really good.

Not particularly hard but it's cool.

Quick go on I Am Fish.

Frustrating sums it up I think on the second level. Not too surprising from these devs I don't think. I think there's a cute idea here, and one which could create a challenging sort of puzzle/skill challenge with a nice setting.

But instead it's probably a bit too random for me ("spoilers" for second level)...

Spoiler

Jumping between sewer pools with floating trash. I laughed the first time I got stuck in a cup. And again when a syringe skewered me. Not so much the next five times I jumped and landed on something that killed me.

Then the rolling in a mop bucket. The route through the grass was just frustrating. Trial and error of avoiding rocks you can hardly see whilst being chased. Less skill, more retry and learn one of the routes. And then get into the clear, downhill to the finish and hit a bump that throws me out the top whilst the bucket carries on. Try again. Or not, I don't have time in my life for games to waste it.

I guess the very start feels like there's almost something Monkey Ball-esque here. A game to challenge. You versus a somewhat often unsteady ball or trolly or whatever.

Ah well, a fun 30 minutes or so.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

My nephew recently got his first skateboard at age 7 and wanted a Skateboard game to play. His mother has no idea about games so refuses to let him play any games cert 12 and over. The Skate are all like 16 plus. Tony Hawk remaster is 12 plus. I thought this Skatebird thing might at least be suitable even if its kind of rubbish but no because somehow the makers have managed to get a 12 certificate for edgy language on a game with cute, little birds on skateboards 🤦‍♂️

For what it's worth, it's not for the game proper, it's for the soundtrack - it includes songs with 12-worthy lyrics rather than random swearing birds. Something I imagine the other skating games also fall afoul of (possibly compounded by injury detail and/or character speech in those, of course).