rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

Obviously A Plague Tale is coming because I bought it in the last sale. I haven't started it yet. :facepalm:

I really should just stop buying games unless I'm definitely going to start it there and then. Sales be damned.

• Empathy 1

I really thought Gris might drop with an Xbox version as well given the recent-is PS4 port. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come eventually.

Looking forward to A Plague Tale too though.

1 hour ago, DoctorEgo said:

For what it's worth, I'm playing on an X and Children of Morta definitely has moment where it struggles, stutters, and I get those weird white horizontal/vertical lines occasionally that others have mentioned. Nothing I can't look past, as the game is excellent, but not a game I'd have expected any performance issues on a regular Xbox One, let alone an X.

I think the lines are screen tearing, not sure. 

Plague Tale is a game I've been wanting to play, good stuff. 

@deerokus Getting lines on the screen on a One X with Morta as well. Thought it was supposed to be rain at first, then it started going sideways. :blink:

Still loving it though.

A Plague Tale is bloody brilliant. 

I knew it was more of a budget game but it doesn't come across that way (just the lip syncing that's a bit off). It's one of the best looking games I have played in some time. 

Only on chapter 3 but it's really good stuff. And the music, wow. Im hoping this pace lasts for most of the game. 

• Upvote 3

Really enjoying Children of Morta, the love child of Diablo, Slay the Spire and Moonlighter. Not totally sold on the art style yet, but it’s growing on me. Have barely touched 2 of the characters yet because the archer is so much fun to play with. Should I be levelling all characters or is it ok to focus on one?

2 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Really enjoying Children of Morta, the love child of Diablo, Slay the Spire and Moonlighter. Not totally sold on the art style yet, but it’s growing on me. Have barely touched 2 of the characters yet because the archer is so much fun to play with. Should I be levelling all characters or is it ok to focus on one?

Each one has a passive that benefits all the other family members when you've spent 4 skill points (and more after that, but I've not unlocked them yet). Also I think if you use the same one they become fatigued.

• Upvote 1

The fatigue mechanic is essentially entirely placed there to teach the player that you're expected to switch between characters occasionally. It's a pretty unsubtle way of forcing you to use characters you don't enjoy but I can see why they did it. Unfortunately, I found for actually progressing in the game the ranged characters were just far far more effective than the melee ones, who didn't have enough ways to mitigate taking damage. Once you start unlocking abilities and it gets harder the game's mechanical limitations start to become a lot more apparent, but it's compulsive and has a nice little story while it lasts, even if the writing was a little under baked or on the nose at times.

• Upvote 2

Thought I'd give Pathologic 2 a try on GamePass after it got a 9 in Edge in the latest issue. It seems really interesting and atmospheric but is also so esoteric, impenetrable and low-budget I'm not sure I'll ever go back to it after a couple of hours. I feel like I probably would stick with it had I bought it though, and I do feel like I'm missing out on something quite unique by not persevering. Hmmm. It's just the literal opposite of instant gratification and when Witcher 3 is right there....

I get this a lot. I quit games on Game Pass much easier than I would games I've bought. Halo Reach was uninstalled within minutes after I fired a gun for the first time due to the worst sound mix ever. If I'd bought it I'd have stuck with it. Kinda cheapens games and makes them more throwaway.

• Upvote 2

It's the same principle as pirating games (stick with me); you've invested so little money and effort getting them they're ultimately disposable. I had hundreds of amiga games, but the actual amount I put time into was probably barely double figures. Same with this and, to some degree, games on Steam before they did away with the bonkers flash sales.

Course, on the flip side I've played some games I never would have bought in the first place, so swings and roundabouts.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

I dont have a backlog anymore because of being able to choose. It pretty much consisted of games Id bought but didnt really care enough about. And still get as wrapped up in the games I do like and play them through.  A front log - games I want to play, yeah. I like the freedom it brings.

As for P2 it is pretty esoteric, my character is 

Spoiler

dying from hunger on the third night and respawned 3 times and food resources are tough to find unless you scavenge and hurt your reputation.

Found this summary on reddit which made some sense

Spoiler

I fall on both sides of the 'does GamePass psychologically cheapen games' debate. On one hand I definitely reckon I've given up on potentially good games early on simply because they didn't initially grab me or took a while to get going (Pathologic 2, Bloodstained). But it's also freeing. There are games I've played on GamePass where I realise I'm just bored and it's liberating to be able to drop a game after 5-10 hours and not feel the same guilt I would had I paid full price for it (the latest Tomb Raider springs instantly to minds)

I've also tried and enjoyed lot of games I would never have bought myself otherwise. I think the good definitely outweighs the bad, especially for the price, but it's the slow-burners that probably get hurt the most by the lack of a meaningful up-front monetary investment. 

• Upvote 2

Before Game Pass was a thing on my Xbox, I had already decided to play one game at a time (note that I generally don't play multiplayer) and either play that game to completion OR until I'm completely done with it. The latter can mean getting stuck or getting bored or whatever - but it comes down to "I will never play this again". 

This way I have eliminated my tendency to start a game, thinking it's cool, getting distracted by a newer game, thinking I'll get back to this one later, never doing so, and ending up with loads of games that I've played for a bit. Games that remain on my backlog because I genuinely want to check them out but never getting around to them. By eliminating this tendency I've been clearing my backlog and I've been having way more fun with this hobby of ours! Ditched a bunch of games that I've definitely established are not for me, but also finished a bunch of titles - some that I bought like ten years ago and turns out they were great.

Now Game Pass is here and I've simply continued playing this way. I installed Plague Tale but I'm not starting it before finishing my current Pillars of Eternity playthrough because I'm having a blast with the console version. 

This won't be the best way to play for everyone, YMMV, but it worked wonders for me. And yes, I remember having my modded Xbox and playing the first thirty minutes of every game that came out. But having way more disposable income and Steam Sales and such being a thing, meant that I had developed the same problem with my legally acquired games.

TL;DR Game Pass works for me :D

• Upvote 6

I hope that when you finish all the titles on Game Pass it unlocks New Game Pass+, and you can play them all again, but with all your abilities from the first run unlocked. 

I’d just like to play all the games from the start again, but with my enhanced stats and endgame inventory (Flaming Sword of Hot Takes, Chest Piece of Resistance, Gauntlets of Whatthefuckisthisshit, Codpiece of Meh,  Helm of Hidden Gems, Mace of Windu). 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

TL;DR Game Pass works for me :D

Similar mindset from me. I've only had Game Pass a week but I'm approaching it the same way as you.

I've downloaded a ton of stuff (and have about 30 things on the 'play later' list on the app) but I'm playing one at a time until I'm properly 'done' with something. Generally with single player stuff I then delete it and move on, or sometimes if there is a multiplayer/replay element (like sports games) then I'll dip in and out.

I've done that for years with retail purchases to be fair, either uninstalling them or sometimes trading them in once done. As such I'm finding Game Pass is just a digital extension of that and I'm very happy with it. I'm just treating it like a huge pile of shame of things to get to eventually.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit behind on Gamepass, but started Cities Skylines and it's the first game in years I've been up playing until 1:30 in the morning! It took a few restarts to get the hang of it though.

The way I see it after banging my head against the game wall for a few hours now, is that the City Map (which is basically the same as the map in Pathologic 1?) is a kind of a tabletop map. And every time you sleep, or move the narrative forwards somehow, there is a Dungeon Master (the Theater manager?) working  behind the scenes, adding and (re)moving the pieces on the map around according to what you have done in the previous cycle or by rolling dices. The problem for a new player is that the game does not provide you with the 300-page manual that the Dungeon Master is using. Ive played enough now to understand some of the basics of the game (like how to barter and how not to try and reach around all of the interesting points on the map in one go), and Im certainly intrigued enough by the basic whodunnit of it all to try and reach the end. But Im going to have to start over, since you need to use the early days of the game to your benefit in terms of survival chances later on, as far as I understand.

• Upvote 2

When they announce that something is leaving Gamepass is there a set date given or amount of time till it does? Only asking as I saw RE4 was leaving probably 7-10 days ago and thought that meant it was imminent yet today got a message from them saying something along the lines of last chance to play. If I’ve got a few more days I might just do that :)

1 hour ago, womble9 said:

When they announce that something is leaving Gamepass is there a set date given or amount of time till it does? Only asking as I saw RE4 was leaving probably 7-10 days ago and thought that meant it was imminent yet today got a message from them saying something along the lines of last chance to play. If I’ve got a few more days I might just do that :)

Normally 2 weeks notice.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, deerokus said:

Pathologic 2, eh, wtf. 

How far in did you get? If you stick with it past the bizarre first hour or 2 it starts turning into something a trifle more conventional (basically a player-choice driven adventure game on a timer with survival elements) but even then it's incredibly opaque. I reckon if one could be bothered to stick with it, maybe restart it once or twice to get a better grasp of the underlying systems, it could be extremely rewarding but I also suspect that 99% of people will never get that far, especially if they get themselves into a unwinnable position on their first playthrough which I understand is quite common.

• Upvote 1

On 23/01/2020 at 16:18, RYAN WHITELAW said:

A Plague Tale is bloody brilliant. 

I knew it was more of a budget game but it doesn't come across that way (just the lip syncing that's a bit off). It's one of the best looking games I have played in some time. 

Only on chapter 3 but it's really good stuff. And the music, wow. Im hoping this pace lasts for most of the game. 

This is Olivier Deriviere who has composed some of my favourite game sountracks, including, Remember Me, Vampyr and GreedFall.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I'm biting the bullet today. Do I have this right? I buy three months of Xbox Live Gold from shopto for £113.55, then I convert it to three years of Gamepass Ultimate using the £1 trial? Assuming that's still valid.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I haven't been a Gold member for years and have never had Gamepass.

• Upvote 1

You can’t go beyond three years so if you already have six months don’t buy three years.

Nooooo, shopto limits its 12 month Gold pass to one per customer. It only told me this after I bought the first one. Now I'm stuck with a year of Gold I don't need. :facepalm:

Edit: Wait, I can get for a couple of quid extra at cdkeys. Hopefully they let you buy two.