rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

Another positive week of game pass for me:

Final Fantasy XV - A game that I would never, ever have given a chance (having not enjoyed a FF since VIII, I gave up at X) and I love it. It just works perfectly for me but I can't really explain why. I saw a banner that said something like "for new FF players and experienced ones" and I guess they are right.

It reminds me a lot of Xenoblade Chronicles, which is one of my favorite jrpgs of all time, just slicker and better looking. And on looking, my god does it look amazing on PC. It looks and plays smooth enough that it has some truely breathtaking visual moments. The combat is simple enough for me that I can kind of get stuck in without having to think too deeply about what I, or anyone else is doing. It's almost like a button masher rpg where you can't really go wrong.

And the setting and clash of environments and characters is so weird, it really adds to the appeal.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - It has been installed on my xbox since it was put on the service, but with it being imminently removed, I thought I'd give it a go. I've put the combat on easy and everything else on hard, as the puzzle elements of Tomb raider have always been the best part for me. Now I'm really worried that I won't be able to finish it before it leaves. I've decided that any game where a bow and arrows is/can be a key weapon really appeal to me for some reason (this, dead cells, horizon zero dawn). The crafting is simple enough, and not massively intrusive, especially with the combat on easy and so is the skill progression. It is incredibly dark and brutal at times. I really don't want to screw something up and see Lara impaled any more.

Slay the spire - FInally the windows store version has got the new character patch. It's still amazing and is still great as a game that you don't have to be entirely glued to at all times.

• Upvote 7

I finished the main quest of Shadow TR over the weekend, went straight for the ending in three or four sessions. Still got all 16 tombs and a ton of stuff to find when I buy the def edition at some point. Overall I thought it was a great TR game let down by an awful story. The first 5 hours are dreadful to experience, but once you get past that (the Croft mansion) it gets a lot better. Also looks bloody amazing in resolution mode on the X, wow.

Final Fantasy XV is great. I had no idea what to expect after last trying to play XIII but this hit all the right buttons for me. Such a nice chillout game. Ive been doing a bunch of sidequests which is something I usually avoid in rpgs unless its really really good. A couple of caveats to this, though: the default controls are terrible and the combat can quickly get overwhelming if you engage a bunch of targets at once.

1. Controller input C

2. Turn on Wait mode in the settings. 

With that you have defend/attack on LT/RT, where they should be and not on X/B. Wait Mode gives you access to Libra scanning, and a turn based alternative to the combat. Which is a lot like Xenoblade Chronices thats true.

Anyone played Creature in the Well? It’s got some wonderfully striking visuals. 

I also tried a bit of Everspace, but found it pretty dull. 

Does anyone know if cross saves will work on XV? Started it on sib's Xbox but would like to continue on my PC.

Started Wandersong, it's a nice quirky 2d game with some lovely simple graphics.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RJ Badman said:

Does anyone know if cross saves will work on XV? Started it on sib's Xbox but would like to continue on my PC.

I think there is only cross save on the Microsoft published Xbox play anywhere games

10 hours ago, RJ Badman said:

It says it does in the text description on the Game Pass PC app, although it's not tagged as Play Anywhere. I haven't tried it yet though.

There's cross saves on a handful of games not published by Microsoft. I've had Everspace and Bards Tale Trilogy synced up between my xbox, laptop and desktop without any issues.

According to the store listing, it has cross save.

Save data can be cross-saved between the Xbox One software “FINAL FANTASY XV” (released 29th November, 2016) and "FINAL FANTASY XV ROYAL EDITION" (released 6th March, 2018), and “FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION.”

The Play Anywhere scheme means you buy a game once and get it on both Xbox and PC, rather than that the saves work cross platform. (which is why FFXV isn't listed as Play Anywhere).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

The Play Anywhere scheme means you buy a game once and get it on both Xbox and PC, rather than that the saves work cross platform. (which is why FFXV isn't listed as Play Anywhere).

Good to know. I wonder if the Game Pass client on the PC will let me use that as a search category, that would be usefu...

Oh.

Sea Salt has been patched. Hopefully they fixed the savegame issue, I lost all of my progress at the final boss.

Achievements are popping up as well.

I was enjoying A Plague Tale, but having got to chapter 5 it’s already starting to feel repetitive and boring. Looks very pretty though. Might take a break and see if it grabs me again in the future. 

Also played a few hours of Alien Isolation and it still holds up very well, can see myself playing through it again. Such a great game.

29 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

I was enjoying A Plague Tale, but having got to chapter 5 it’s already starting to feel repetitive and boring. Looks very pretty though. Might take a break and see if it grabs me again in the future. 

Strange, that game is very good at each chapter being built around one particular mechanic and then moving on to the next.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Do they actually announce stuff on a given date every month or is it all just whenever they feel like it?

It's good old variable re-inforcement to keep us super keen.

All that redacted stuff has to mean Control, right? It's all over the in-game documents.

• Upvote 3

The long one is surely Ori and the Will of the Wisps - which we all know about already.

Two short ones possibly Control and Yakuza 0?

I'd guess the long one is multiple Yakuza titles which I think were announced for February at the XO19 event.

It says early 2020 so I could be wrong but that never happens.

For the ridiculously long named one it’s going to be either

Bayonetta & Vanquish 10th Anniversary Bundle

NieR Automata Become as Gods Edition

Probably NieR to tie in with sticking a capital letter at the end of February.

• Upvote 3

I bet you're spot on with NieR. I couldn't think what the capitalisation reminded me of, but that's it. 

The long one could be Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, I guess?

• Upvote 1