rllmuk
Harsin

Xbox Game Pass

4 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I'm not a fan of Rockstar stuff, but I'll download it just to see how pretty it looks. 

It is, in fairness, ridiculously pretty. Definitely worth a download for that alone.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Let's not pretend this whole hate-on wasn't some orchestrated thing that started before anyone laid a finger on it, it's the same people pushing the same lines for two fucking years, the reactionary bores.

Yes, the "hate on" is "orchestrated", not just a lot of people not liking the game once they played it.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

And yet I've never actually heard that raised as an issue, it's always "controls", "you have to tap a button to run!"

Controls though? Nah, it's actually got the first Rockstar combat system that feels fast and reactive. Some guy up there moaning he keeps punching his horse or shooting people, despite those being on B and RT and picking up items being on X, is just, like obvious a false nonsense complaint that now has to fit into the narrow criticisms they've established "you have to tap a button to run!"

I mean, I get that you like the game, but Red Dead Redemption 2 'feels fast and reactive'?! Really?!

Did we play a different game or something?

In the one I played it felt like you were walking through treacle and you had a turning circle only slightly smaller than a WW2 Russian tank.

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Shit game.

The best game.

Choose a side. It's the internet.

If you play Red Dead 2  and leave it still calling it shit.

You haven't played it enough. 

That's not a request for any of you to defend your position btw.  There's plenty of that in the RDR2 thread.

If you have an X and a decent TV. You're in for a treat.

Don't miss it. It's a genuine masterpiece. 

#edit: I see they've already descended filling the thread with criticisms that mean nothing in the grand scheme of this game. 

• Upvote 3

I've always fancied giving RDR2 a go, but a lot of third (and first) person games give me motion sickness, so didn't want to take the risk of spending any money on it. Will definitely be giving it a go in GP.

Did I imagine that Streets of Rage 4 is due in April? Not much of the month left.

3 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Did I imagine that Streets of Rage 4 is due in April? Not much of the month left.

It's out on the 30th. 

29 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Please don't talk about this game. 

Don’t talk about a game that’s coming to Game Pass in the Game Pass thread?

Just now, JPL said:

Don’t talk about a game that’s coming to Game Pass in the Game Pass thread?

Quite the opposite, maybe I should have quoted Boozys post for mine to make more sense. 

I hated RDR2 for the first hour.  I couldn't stand the controls, the canned animations or the plodding pace.  Then it became my favourite AAA game of the generation and I was truly sad to see the end of the story.

Glad I stuck with it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I hated RDR2 for the first hour.  I couldn't stand the controls, the canned animations or the plodding pace.  Then it became my favourite AAA game of the generation and I was truly sad to see the end of the story.

Glad I stuck with it.

Better than Breath of the Wild?

6 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Glad I stuck with it.

I felt the same. 

It's a genuine masterpiece. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

Better than Breath of the Wild?

I only bothered to finish one out of RDR2 and BotW.   

While BotW was great, I enjoyed RDR2 more.  Initially (for the first 50 hours) the free roaming exploration in Zelda was incredible, but after that I lost track of where I'd been and couldn't bring myself to scour the map for the last shrines.

These days I need a more linear experience.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Don Wiskerando said:

I only bothered to finish one out of RDR2 and BotW.   

While BotW was great, I enjoyed RDR2 more.  Initially (for the first 50 hours) the free roaming exploration in Zelda was incredible, but after that I lost track of where I'd been and couldn't bring myself to scour the map for the last shrines.

These days I need a more linear experience.

Fair enough. RDR2 is probably the most linear open world game I’ve ever played, whereas Zelda is a lot more exploration based. I much preferred the latter, personally. As beautiful as RDR2 is, that open world felt completely wasted to me, as there’s pretty much nothing worth doing outside of the story.

If I do give it another play through, I’m really going to try and embrace as much as I can outside the story, to see if I enjoy it any more.

• Empathy 1

Yeah it's decent, atmospheric and an interesting approach to puzzles, trying to be realistic to an extent. It feels a bit amateurish at points though. And the voice acting is just weird, there's three different characters who all sound like the same Dutch woman putting on slightly different posh English accents. 

I'd never buy it but it's classic gamepass fare. 

Yeah I'm enjoying it, but like a lot of budget games, the control of the character is a bit iffy. I don't know why they didn't use first person for all of it because it does feel better that way.

Does Xbox Gamepass give access to the titles on PC or aor they completely distinct things with their own separate subscriptions? 

I'm not bothered about pc gaming but if it's free/I'm already paying, I might dip my toe. 

9 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Does Xbox Gamepass give access to the PC version or are they completely distinct things? 

Separate things, you need to pay for each. But both are included (plus Xbox Live Gold) in a GamePass Ultimate subscription. There are various tricks to get an Ultimate subscription for cheap if you pay in advance (iirc it works out as under £4/month, for up to 3 years).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wavey said:

Separate things, you need to pay for each. But both are included (plus Xbox Live Gold) in a GamePass Ultimate subscription. There are various tricks to get an Ultimate subscription for cheap if you pay in advance (iirc it works out as under £4/month, for up to 3 years).

Cheers Wavey, I'm on ultimate already so I am in! 

• Upvote 1

Anyone tried Gato Roboto yet? Seems like a Metroid clone but run through a zx spectrum filter. It does have the difference of being able to leave the mech suit and be a vunerable kitty albeit with the advantage of climbing and squeezing through small gaps. Even with that it all seems too familiar and not enough to capture my interest. 

I'm weary of the abundance of Metroid type games at the best of times, and it just feels like a way too overcrowded genre at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Anyone tried Gato Roboto yet? Seems like a Metroid clone but run through a zx spectrum filter. It does have the difference of being able to leave the mech suit and be a vunerable kitty albeit with the advantage of climbing and squeezing through small gaps. Even with that it all seems too familiar and not enough to capture my interest. 

I'm weary of the abundance of Metroid type games at the best of times, and it just feels like a way too overcrowded genre at the moment. 

It's a game, like pretty much every 8 or 16 bit styled game, that is far better when played on the little screen of a Switch rather than on a 60" TV. Those faux old graphics are just painful and irritating when magnified .

I thought it was pretty good fun when I played it last year although it soon got swamped in the Switch pile of shame so I didn't complete it. I think I'll try and get back into it though...

24 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Reminded me of Starquake on the ZX Spectrum.

32 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It's a game, like pretty much every 8 or 16 bit styled game, that is far better when played on the little screen of a Switch rather than on a 60" TV. Those faux old graphics are just painful and irritating when magnified .

You may have a point, but until I can play Game Pass games on Switch it's just not going to happen to be honest. Both because of the savings and also because now I have way more games to check out than I'll ever have time :D Nowadays I only buy a select few personal must-have exclusives on competing platforms (recently: Disaster Report 4 and FF7R) and the rest is GP all the way.

Pfft. I completed Gato Roboto on the Switch last year and I'm near the end on the Xbox Gamepass version as well. It's a great, if slight, Metroidvania. It does help though, that MV's are my favourite genre. 

On 24/04/2020 at 17:26, mdn2 said:

I've been playing this on and off today. It's pretty decent. It's not quite a walking simulator (you can die, there's a few puzzles and a couple of action sequences), but it tells a fairly decent sci fi story that's pretty grounded. It's slightly janky, but it builds up a believable world. One small touch I really liked, when you start getting close to running out of oxygen, you notice little sparkles in the corner of your vision. It's a nice touch. 

I love Gamepass for this sort of stuff. I never would have looked at it otherwise. 

Plus it's quite pretty in places. 

IMG_5aefa557-6d2d-4bd9-9adc-58e286b9e1a1.png

And finished. The last 40 minutes or so went a bit silly and there was an annoying random stealth sequence thrown in, but overall I really enjoyed this. Definitely worth a play if you're looking for something slightly more interesting on Gamepass. 

• Upvote 2