rllmuk
dumpster

Turn your Wii into a fantastic emulation machine

Dug out my Wii earlier today, as it happens. Fancied some ghost squad shooting action in lieu of my old CRT and proper light gun games. and to test it with the panny.

Had this cable with it.

9E1AAE6F-270E-4056-93DA-0233F7E94D9F.thumb.jpeg.b536e29e5b35f37456e92d0cfddf5b14.jpeg

Can I find my games? Can I fuck.

(Also found my ogXbox pound hdmi cable thing, though)

On 31/05/2020 at 20:21, ucci said:

What's the best possible video connection to the Sony KDL-19S5700 then please @matt!

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-19s5700/specifications

TYIA. 

That TV is 1366 x 768 resolution so whatever connection you use the image will be scaled, with uneven pixels, and the result will be bad. I would avoid it.

For the best 480p video you need a 480p panel! 

I've bought many TVs - Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Philips - and in my experience and expense the only one worth bothering with is the Philips 20PF4121. Save yourself some time and hassle and just buy one of those. 

There is one Philips 20PF4121 on eBay right now, I just got a notification about it. 

There's another on gumtree (spelled Phillips, with two Ls)

And one on Shpock. 

I've won a Philips on eBay but it's in that there London. Will have to go. The Wii did indeed look terrible on the Sony. Thank you. 

• Upvote 1

On 15/06/2020 at 20:03, ucci said:

I've won a Philips on eBay but it's in that there London. Will have to go. The Wii did indeed look terrible on the Sony. Thank you. 

Which model TV did you buy? The only 20PF4121 on eBay is still for sale. 

20PF5121/01

I might try for the other as it's nearer. 

On 14/06/2020 at 12:26, ucci said:

Is PS1 emulation any good on the Wii? 

Depends on the game. I've had many hours playing Diablo co-op with my friend on the Wii (:

Yes there's a handful of games that work very well, but only a handful. Think of PS1 as a freebie, if the game you like works, then it works.

8 hours ago, dumpster said:

Yes there's a handful of games that work very well, but only a handful. Think of PS1 as a freebie, if the game you like works, then it works.

On 14/06/2020 at 12:26, ucci said:

Is PS1 emulation any good on the Wii? 

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSX_compatibility_list_(beta_2)

^ More games work than you might think, but many have issues (some are great/perf) but not a patch on PS1 games via PS3.

Warcraft 2 also works fantastic, had many evening sitting in front of TV with that! Wonder if Populous PS1 works, played it again recently and its loads better than I remember

On 18/06/2020 at 19:23, ucci said:

20PF5121/01

I might try for the other as it's nearer. 

That looks like a good choice! Looks like 4121 in a different style cabinet. 

When you get it let's do some tests.

How are we all doing?

I recently bought a GBS8200 scaler and am now using my Wii over component to VGA and it's the most lag free solution I've found: 1 frame.

Plus it has great 240p scanline support for certain (Wii/arcade/VC) games. 

The Philips TV is on the way, the person in London agreed to send it to me and it is on its way! Wahey. Also I bought a GBS 8200 scaler too, but have to mod it with an arduino board in order to update the firmware, did you do that? The results look pretty special. So how do you connect the Wii to the scaler? and the scaler to the Philips TV?

Woo! You're all set. 

Yes, the most difficult thing about the Arduino thing for me was finding a micro usb cable that worked with the device! Most of my charging cables didn't carry data at all, or not well enough for the device to show up on my computer.

And soldering a wire to the debug pin on the scaler chip was tricky. I used Dupont wires to make everything "clip on". Everything else was relatively painless. I recommend watching YouTube videos of people doing the mod and some soldering tutorials as a refresher. 

And I had to try a few power options to find one that limited noise in GBS image. Eventually I arrived at:

- switchable wall plug

- official iPhone USB adapter

- USB to barrel connector power cable

Video connections

- Wii > GBS = Component YPbPr cable (I use a multi cable that connects Wii/PS2/Xbox in one)

- GBS > Philips = VGA cable + VGA-DVI adapter

DF0C0934-099F-43BB-9B5B-380ADB4E8EE1.jpeg

That looks great. Do you have to externally power the arduino board when the scaler is on, or does it derive power from the 8200? 

It's powered by the GBS8200.

In my photo the black and white wires are power and ground. 

Ok, thanks Matt. The board I bought was from NTSC-UK and is an old ArcadeForge edition GBS 8220. It has its own dedicated AC adapter which hopefully does not produce noise. Comes in a nifty transparent acrylic case.  I have to desolder an old scanlines chip that's on there then I can make a start. The Philips monitor arrived and it's a beast. The kind person packed it in a very flimsy box with not much cushioning and it survived Yodel! These revivalist home electronic projects are more interesting than actually playing the games themselves. 

• Upvote 2

Once you see how Wii games were designed to look, you'll be playing more! 

I've spent hours booting my favourite games to marvel at how good they look. 

Just plugged it all in to the Philips (Wii2HDMI, Hdmi to VGA, VGA to DVI-I), I wasn't expecting that at all as it has really made the output shine. After some geometry issues, the Wii now outputs a true VGA signal by the looks of it. Its like having a home computer setup from the early 90s for image clarity. 

DSC_0973_compress28.jpg

DSC_0972_compress37.jpg

• Upvote 2

Told you it was worth it! Looks great

What TV did you end up with in the end? What does the menu look like?