IGNORED

Turn your Wii into a fantastic emulation machine

dumpster

Ive recently dug the Wii out of the loft and set it up in my 6 and 8 year olds bedroom, it's mostly a Just Dance machine but I know the 6yo in particular likes SNES Mario Kart and wants to play some Sonic games.

Upon booting it up I spot the Homebrew Channel and that it's on "4.3e", does this mean it's still got CFW installed and it's just a matter of installing SNES and Mega Drive emulators? And if so which are the best ones? I know both consoles will be kind of limited to 2 button games as they don't have the extra controllers for them at the moment, just a pair of Wii remotes (I should have a classic controller and classic controller pro somewhere as I used to play alot of Monster Hunter Tri)

• 1 month later...
On 25/03/2020 at 13:17, matt! said:

There's one of these on eBay at the moment, it's in London. I'm not the seller. 

Tap the quote above to read more about it. 

Because it's 480p native it is truly the best LCD to play:

- Wii

- Xbox

- Dreamcast

- PS2 (via GBS-C for better deinterlacing)

- Xbox 360 (for 4:3 VGA games)

- PC (old skool)

and with emulators/backwards compatibility on the above you also get all classic platforms and a bunch of arcade games Pixel Perfect 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184799079274

• 9 months later...

Can you use USB drives with two USB plugs on with the Wii? I got hold of an old 250gb one, never seen one that needed 2 sockets before. I realise I wouldn't be able to have the keyboard plugged in etc. 

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Can you use USB drives with two USB plugs on with the Wii? I got hold of an old 250gb one, never seen one that needed 2 sockets before. I realise I wouldn't be able to have the keyboard plugged in etc. 

Yep, this is what I used for ages. If it doesn't work at first, try switching the USB plugs around. Mine only worked one way, not the other.

Just in case that isn't clear: if you imagine the drive has two usb plugs -A and B - and the Wii has two USB sockets - 1 and 2. Plug A into 1 and B into 2 and, if that doesn't work, plug B into 1 and A into 2.

8 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Yep, this is what I used for ages. If it doesn't work at first, try switching the USB plugs around. Mine only worked one way, not the other.

Just in case that isn't clear: if you imagine the drive has two usb plugs -A and B - and the Wii has two USB sockets - 1 and 2. Plug A into 1 and B into 2 and, if that doesn't work, plug B into 1 and A into 2.

Cheers. Used to use a USB stick but for some reason the newer ones don't work even if I format them to FAT32. 

• 1 month later...

Thinking about digging out my old modded Wii. Has there been much in the way of improvements over the last couple of years? Can we emulate Pilotwings 64 yet?!

I’m needing to make some space and sell my NTSC N64 amongst other things), but really want to keep something small hooked up to my CRT.  Pilotwings 64 emulation was always a bit glitchy in the past (except on Xbox OG funnily enough).

Retroarch for Wii is dreadful.  As far as I know there's no perfect way to play Pilotwings on a Wii. N64 on Wii is weird in that most games don't work but Mario and Waverace are perfect. For N64 emulation specifically I'd ignore the Wii, it's best for 16 bit and below.  Xbox Series on the other hand, phenomenal.....

For N64 on Wii I prefer to use Not64 than RetroArch. But I'd only play using that in a pinch when I have more powerful systems capable of emulating N64 more accurately. 

So I've lost around 140 WiiWare/Virutal Console games because I forgot to download them onto my Wii U.

How do I go about adding them to my modded homebrew. Is there a file I have to put the games in and do I have to unzip them?

So I've managed to load a few of my lost WiiWare games onto my modded Wii but I've now run out of space. I've loaded some across to my SD Card, but when I try and open the SD Card it crashes. Is this normal or has the mod been done wrong somewhere along the line (it was done for me). Any advice would be appreciated. If the card should work I guess I need to get a new Wii.

I'm not sure but to follow up our PM chat I tried and was unable to run any WiiWare from external storage. I can have a selection of games on the SD card and the console can copy them to the internal storage to be played. But that can be a constant juggle as the internal storage fills quickly.

I've just received a Wii console that my sister no longer wants. I sold my original machine a few years ago.

She wants me to sell it but I just don't think there's any money in it once shipping and ebay fees have come off since they don't seem to be worth anything anymore (and she only has two cheap games so a bundle is out of the question).

Once I've stripped it apart and properly cleaned it, I may mod it to increase the value OR mod it, keep it for myself, and give her some cash for it. I've never modded a Wii before so this thread looks to be an invaluable place to start 👍

6 hours ago, Vimster said:

It's well worth modding. Really easy to do now as well, not the multi-stage faff it was a decade ago. 

Yeah I remember those days and terror of bricking (which is one reason I didn't do it to my molly-coddled launch machine bought at full RRP). I recall there was an exploit with Lego Indiana Jones 2 which sent the game up to like 60 quid used until a firmware update killed that route lol.

22 hours ago, Vimster said:

It's well worth modding. Really easy to do now as well, not the multi-stage faff it was a decade ago. 

That's really good to know, I've got mine still in the loft and it's soft modded from the Zelda exploit early on days...is it easy enough to update or best to try a factory reset and soft mod again?

On 29/04/2021 at 11:31, matt! said:

There's one of these on eBay at the moment, it's in London. I'm not the seller. 

Tap the quote above to read more about it. 

Because it's 480p native it is truly the best LCD to play:

- Wii

- Xbox

- Dreamcast

- PS2 (via GBS-C for better deinterlacing)

- Xbox 360 (for 4:3 VGA games)

- PC (old skool)

and with emulators/backwards compatibility on the above you also get all classic platforms and a bunch of arcade games Pixel Perfect 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184799079274

There is one of these available on Ebay at the moment for those North of the border in Glasgow 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Philips-LCD-Flat-Screen-TV-SLC4-1E-AB-/334418070216?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

On 25/04/2022 at 18:01, strider said:

So is anyone with a softmodded Wii able to use their SD cards? If I try and open mine or move stuff to it it crashes. I want to know if that's normal or if a mod step was missed.

I use SD exclusively. No such issues.

Tried a different SD card?

10 hours ago, strider said:

I’ve tried two so far. Fat32 right

I’m not sure what happened but my sd card I tried is now working. Annoyingly it’s not on the card with all the homebrew stuff so I need to swap them over. It works though.

Well, thats over before it begun. This Wii was grimy as anything with stuff rattling around inside so there was no way I was going to mod it without a complete stripdown. Sadly, somebody has obviously been in here before and over-tightened one of the tri wing security screws resulting in the pattern completely shredding when I tried to remove it. Tried loads of hacks and methods short of drilling it out but it ain't going anywhere. 

Cosmetically the console has some sort of scrape damage down the side, and the previous, previous owner has left two of the screw covers off the bottom meaning two screws are now brown and flaky with rust!! So I don't want to mod it, I can't open it, and it's too nasty to sell it (not for any amount that would make it worth while). 

My sister has said that she will have it back, box it up, and put it away for now in case she ever wants to use it again on the future. I will just have to keep and eye out for a Wii that doesn't need so much TLC and uneconomical repairs to get up to scratch before I explore modding. 

I take it they aren't ridiculously cheap anymore? I picked up a few from Cash Converters for less than £20 each maybe 5-6 years ago. I kept a couple and picked up one or two for people on here. They used to throw in loads of accessories as well, which is why I've got a load of controllers, wheels and a couple of balance boards. 

28 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I take it they aren't ridiculously cheap anymore? I picked up a few from Cash Converters for less than £20 each maybe 5-6 years ago. I kept a couple and picked up one or two for people on here. They used to throw in loads of accessories as well, which is why I've got a load of controllers, wheels and a couple of balance boards. 

They aren't that expensive to be fair. That's why it's not worth selling a unit with too many issues like this one I have. Maybe I could drill that screw out and completely re-case it but it's not economically worth it. 

I think they briefly spiked in value during lockdown when Switches were like gold dust and people were re-discovering the Wii as a fun, family machine but are now back down to a sensible price. 

There are plenty of good deals on ebay though so I'm not worried. With the amount Nintendo shifted, they SHOULD still be in abundance. 

I imagine there's loads languishing at the back of cupboards and a lot have been binned over the years. The one my kids use was my mother in law's and was destined for landfill if I hadn't have intercepted it. Which would have been a real shame, given the amount of fun we've had playing Mario Kart on it. 

On 30/04/2022 at 08:11, ScouserInExile said:

I was about to post the same question.  I did a few of these mods for my mates and picked up the consoles from Cash Converters and Cash Generator.  I paid about £20 typically, although my best buy was a black Wii, 2x Wii Motion Plus controllers, component cable and Wii Sports Resort for a tenner.