Mindhunter - Netflix and Fincher

I wonder where they were going to go with the little clips of BTK if they'd kept going. I always found those oddly fascinating and a compelling reason to watch the next episode. Then again I didn't know who he was until I looked him up after finishing the second series, so who knows what they would have done.

On 18/01/2020 at 19:47, grindmouse said:

I read speculation the BTK stuff was juxtaposed as a way of undermining what the unit was doing... I didn’t think there was enough presented on the show to draw any conclusion

Hmm I dunno, the show seems to confirm that theory with that line from Kemper “it seems everything you know about serial killers is gleaned from ones that have been caught” (or something to that effect)

• 9 months later...

Fuck, I thought they were both decent and watchable, yes the whole story about his son in S2 was pretty lame but everything else, the atmosphere, the score and the performances were top notch, this is why I dislike the Netflix model, I bet they'll get 5 seasons of Emily the knob being massively offensive to French culture in Paris.

3 minutes ago, Minion said:

I wonder what the Better Call Saul viewer numbers are like? And the cost of a series of that compared to Mindhunter?

Isn't BCS made by AMC and just shown internationally by Netflix.

When they own the IP its on a rising contract with the makers who get costs + fixed percentages which increase every season after the second, to reward the big hits.

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

Isn't BCS made by AMC and just shown internationally by Netflix.

When they own the IP its on a rising contract with the makers who get costs + fixed percentages which increase every season after the second, to reward the big hits.

Well that answers my question, I bet if Netflix owned it we wouldn't have seen beyond S2, thank god for AMC.

22 hours ago, Minion said:

Fuck, I thought they were both decent and watchable, yes the whole story about his son in S2 was pretty lame but everything else, the atmosphere, the score and the performances were top notch, this is why I dislike the Netflix model, I bet they'll get 5 seasons of Emily the knob being massively offensive to French culture in Paris.

The whole ‘Atlanta Monster’ story line was a complete waste of time though. It had nothing to do with the idea of catching a killer through psychological profiling, they just got lucky / possibly stitched up some poor fucker who probably didn’t do it.

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The whole ‘Atlanta Monster’ story line was a complete waste of time though. It had nothing to do with the idea of catching a killer through psychological profiling, they just got lucky / possibly stitched up some poor fucker who probably didn’t do it.

But the guy who Holden is based upon was brought in to help with the Atlanta case from what I understand. I need to get round to reading the Mindhunter book, it's been sat on my shelf for months but Ive been struggling to read anything that my book club hasn't been reading.

8 hours ago, Minion said:

I wonder what the Better Call Saul viewer numbers are like? And the cost of a series of that compared to Mindhunter?

Also period drama is always way more expensive than something relatively contemporary. I think there’s a lot more ambient CG in Mindhunter than you’d ever expect. 

Yeah there was a sequence of 70s motel rooms something in S1 which was apparently all CG.

I remember thinking at the time that it was way more impressive than whatever came out of a Marvel or Star Wars film because it felt real.

There's a VFX youtube video posted on the last page which is pretty amazing. CGI is a fantastic tool when it's used in such subtle ways. The attention to detail is staggering: they even remove and replace drop kerbs because they didn't have them back then.

6 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Yeah there was a sequence of 70s motel rooms something in S1 which was apparently all CG.

I remember thinking at the time that it was way more impressive than whatever came out of a Marvel or Star Wars film because it felt real.

There’s a lot of subtle stuff in Star Wars and Marvel too but you don’t notice it next to the whiz bang. 

It’s in everything now, even stuff set in modern day. Why close a street in NYC to film when you can just put it in later, take your time with the shoot and it’ll probably be cheaper.