IGNORED

2017 is the new 1998 (for real this time)

Mr. Gerbik

I remember 98 well. Had all the platforms, even a Saturn. I was blown away by Oot, loved 1080 and Grand Turismo. But even playing those amazing games at the time I was looking forward. Probably the disparity between GT's cut scenes and the models in game. Like I say it was a stunning year but times move on. The games now, basically the list from the OP are all stellar amazing experiences almost at thier pinnacle for their genres. With rose tints removed they are better games than their peers back then. Times move on and so do amazing games. 2017 is off the scale atm.

well, after an amazing run of game after game that delivered beyond expectations,  early impressions of Mass Effect Andromeda aren't encouraging. Still, that is just one game and I think that even with one alleged disappointment it's still the most amazing start ever of  what is shaping up to an incredible year.

Even Andromeda itself is offset by Nier Automata just before and Persona 5 shortly after, so the disappointment is shortlived. 

In other news, initial impressions of traditional stealth game Styx: Shards of Darkness are very favourable :) That would make 2017 even more awesome than it already is because 1998 saw the release of two all-time stealth classics: Tenchu: Stealth Assassins on PS1 and Thief on PC. It's truly the best time to be playing videogames :D

• 4 weeks later...

Going from new Nier to new Persona is already blowing my mind a bit. And there's still the stuff I haven't seen such as Nioh, Horizon, Zelda etc. We're not even halfway through the year and the quality of games available is pretty nuts. :wub:

I'm on a self-imposed single console restriction rhis gen and owning an XBone I don't think its been half as an amazing year as it has for PS4/Switch owners. This year I've played an early release game called The Long Dark for the first two months, then two weeks on Dishonored 2, and the last four weeks on Sniper Elite 4. All are excellent games to me but looking ahead I see very little to be excited about. I'm  a big fan of State of Decay though so I'm looking forward to the sequel later this year but other than that, not much else.

However as a long term gamer I can recognise a good year for games across all consoles. I think E3 this year should be amazing, with Nintendo showcasing new stuff for the Switch, Sony showing off new VR games and more Japanese-centric exclusives, and finally Microsoft entering their new powerful console with much to prove. E3 should deliver something for everyone.

A genuinely bona-fide great year to be a gamer indeed.

Just now, Karzee said:

and owning an XBone I don't think its been half as an amazing year as it has for PS4/Switch owners.

And for Switch owners, that statement's pretty much based on one game.

That's how good it is, people! (Yeah, jonamok gets it.)

I think it has been a great year so far and I've enjoyed this gen far more than the previous one but it isn't 1998. The big games that came out then were landmark titles. GT was simply astounding, nothing else came close. Metal Gear Solid was also completely unreal, nothing came close to that and let's not get started on Zelda and all the others. 

A lot of the games have been excellent this year but nothing apart from Zelda has thrilled me. They all feel as good as I would expect given the experience developers have nowadays but it still all feels rather familiar. 

Although if you're less experienced as a gamer, then 2017 has been outrageous. 

I'm gaming since the C64 days and I wouldn't want to trade 1998 for this year. Part of that is that Breath of the Wild is up there with Bloodborne as my favourite game ever, making this a gen to cherish. Also, I wouldn't call a game like Nier Automata familiar, there is nothing quite like a Yoko Taro game, especially now that Platinum handled the gameplay. And we now have the Souls-games and their ilk, which is awesome. Nioh is superb.

Also, the year is only a little over three months old. I hope Super Mario Odyssey is BotW caliber, that would be the exclamation mark behind 2017.

And let's not forget indies. They didn't have the same presence back then, but they add so much flavour to every gaming year and this year is no different. Hollow Knight anyone?

Have we ever had a mainline Zelda and Mario game released in the same year?

I can't recall it happening and that makes this year pretty special before you've picked up a pad.

The Sexy Brutale might be another 2017 gem. Sterling gave it a ten, Push Square a nine.

And already out and mentioned before, Hollow Knight. Destructoid gave it a ten and it has great word of mouth period.

Don't forget the little one, basically. :)

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Just came home to find Everybody's Golf and Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle waiting for me. Combine that with Uncharted the Lost Legacy and Yakuza Kiwami and you have the best week of releases quite possibly ever. Wow!

Yeah, but all of that's rubbish and you should just buy an Xbox One instead. 

It says something about the quality of the year's gaming when summer - supposedly the dead period for big releases - has seen a bunch of great games coming out. Personal highlights for me have been FFXII Zodiac, Sonic Mania and the PS4 release of Undertale (a game I hadn't played before). 2017 just keeps giving. :wub: 

So we've had already:-

Resident Evil 7

Nioh

Horizon Zero Dawn

Zelda Breath of The Wild

ARMS

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Persona 5

Nier Automata

Player Unknowns Battlegrounds

Mario Vs Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Hellblade

Yakuza 0

Splatoon 2

Uncharted Lost Legacy

And I'm just pulling these out of the air, there are loads more, and second tier games, indie games etc.

Still to come:-

Cuphead

Super Mario Odyssey

Metroid Samus Returns

Gran Turismo Sport

Forza Motorsport 7

Star Wars Battlefront II

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Shadow of War

Then there's the usual glut of titles like COD, FIFA, Assassin's Creed. Not everyone's cup of tea but help bolster a healthy release schedule.

It's pretty insane. Even Dragon Quest XI came out this year in Japan. A proper fully fledged sequel. 

And next year doesn't look like it's going to let up either.. Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Metroid Prime 4? God of War, Read Dead Redemption 2, Shenmue 3, Yoshi. Days Gone, Last Of Us 2? 

Phew.

Cool, I've heard of Dead Cells come to think of it. 

Danmaku Unlimited 3 looks insane. I'll probably buy it on Switch. 

Iron Crypticle looks good, but I think I need to start by buying Nex Machina, it's been on my list for a while.

Breath of the Wild, Sonic Mania, Persona 5, Super Mario Odyssey on the way, and I've just started to sink my teeth into Undertale on Vita. What a glorious, glorious year for gaming already.

I suppose it's been a great year for sequels revisited classics for me, as we've also had the best versions of WipEout and Mario Kart too.

Zelda BOTW definitely breaks new ground and steps things up, and there's fully fledged VR games such as Resi 7 and Super Hot. The Switch itself is groundbreaking making pretty much anything you play on it a unique experience. 

I still remember the doom and gloom some people preached before this gen. A few years later and the PS4 is breaking sales records, the Switch shot out of the gates, PC gaming is very healthy, Japan releases one killer game after another and there are so many good games coming out on a monthly basis that it's impossible to keep up with.

The sheer variety and quality alone this year: from Breath of the Wild to Nex Machina, Polybius to Resident Evil 7, Horizon to Yakuza 0, Prey to Nioh, ARMS to Persona 5, Nier Automata to Uncharted The Lost Legacy, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle to What Remains of Edith Finch and Sonic Mania to Hollow Knight. 

And we still have games like Super Mario Oddysey, Wolfenstein 2, Cuphead and Destiny 2 to come. Phew.

6 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I still remember the doom and gloom some people preached before this gen. A few years later and the PS4 is breaking sales records, the Switch shot out of the gates, PC gaming is very healthy, Japan releases one killer game after another and there are so many good games coming out on a monthly basis that it's impossible to keep up with.

The sheer variety and quality alone this year: from Breath of the Wild to Nex Machina, Polybius to Resident Evil 7, Horizon to Yakuza 0, Prey to Nioh, ARMS to Persona 5, Nier Automata to Uncharted The Lost Legacy, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle to What Remains of Edith Finch and Sonic Mania to Hollow Knight. 

And we still have games like Super Mario Oddysey, Wolfenstein 2, Cuphead and Destiny 2 to come. Phew.

We're truly living in the Golden Age. Right now. 

We've weathered the 2010-2014 market prediction misdirection's of - Mobile games being the future, Free to play being the future, Games-as-a-service being the future, "Onlive" streaming being the future, Living room dominating motion controls being the future... and now we're back to simply good, varied and interesting games being what sells and what is the current zeitgeist. 

Games are easier to make that ever, with excellent tools such as Unreal Engine 4, and all the console hardware is easy to work with.. based on existing technology from AMD or NVidia in the case of the Switch.   

We're drowning in top tier games at the moment.