Indiana Jones 5 - James Mangold Directing - Summer 2023

Stigweard

I definitely recognised more Han in Han during Force Awakens, but Ford famously prefers Indy. He was really trying. I don't accept any argument that the fridge thing or aliens makes less sense than any of the Judeo/Christian stuff from the good ones.

It works.

I think it’s possible to make a decent fifth Indy film, but you would have to address his age - it would look comical to have a man in his eighties socking Nazis in the jaw. Ford is still a fucking cool guy, but you’d need to display his cool in a more age-appropriate way. Having him run round with a gun was pushing it in the Force Awakens, let alone seven years after that. 

The thing is, if you actually address his age, you’d have to set the new film 41 years after Raiders. Which would mean it would be set in 1977. I can sort of imagine an Indy film set in the seventies - it wouldn’t look too different to Raiders, given when it was made - and there would be some opportunities for hilarious double takes after Indy’s runaway steam engine rolls through a cinema screening Star Wars, but it would need to be quite a different film to the older ones. 

Godless communists after ancient alien technology actually makes sense if you push Indy forward in time. It's just the execution was a bit shit. 

Not sure where else you go. Maybe some sort of old Nazi with a clue to a macguffin? 

Ford's fight in Blade Runner worked well enough - confusing environment, few swings and done. There's some variation that'll work, but any big action scenes will need to be left to whoever the costar up, with Indy taken out of it someway. 

I don’t think there’d be any issue with having Nazis as the villains again. If anyone would be up for hunting down fascists after the war ended, it’d be Indiana Jones, particularly if they’re up to no good with ancient religious artifacts. 

Both times they tried to move away from having Nazis as the villains, it hasn’t gone so well, so I suspect they’ll stick with what works. 

They could quite easily lean into the alternate reality of earth quite easily, we've already had things that are meant to have been hidden from the public which would have totally changed the entire planet. 

They could go full "nazis won" really but I think it would work better to just make a film in the style of the young indy chronicles. Ford is old and telling a tale about some other adventure of his and the reveal at the end is that he's telling the story to... short round as an older man! :facepalm:

I think they have to either make it completely not in our reality, or do it as a passing the baton movie either to a new actor they can cast as younger indy in the future to really milk it, or to indy's daughter for future movies. Then also call her lara to go full circle. 

I think you could make a decent stab at setting the same plot in two different time periods running in parallel – so old arse Indiana is sluthing about in the seventies and then we throw back to a young version of himself when he was trying to solve the same mystery in the twenties or thirties. Feel like there's some nice tricks you could do with that and Nazi hunting could obviously be a great area to explore. Probably borrows a bit from the opening of The Last Crusade in execution I suppose, but would help to keep it quite streamlined and avoid having a big noisy gang of people in tow like that last one. Whatever you do you just need to avoid Ford having to do any action, that much is obvious. Connery set the blueprint for former action hero now being a bit doddery and using his initiative, but he was supposed to just be a clueless academic so it worked. Would be a bit sad to watch Indiana Jones reduced to that.

You just need to reconfigure the Henry/Indy narrative of Last Crusade. So Indy is after some artefact that's been plaguing his brain all his life (maybe the Golden Idol that Belloq took from him in Raiders - I'm sure the execs would love that kind of callback) and then he gets kidnapped/dissapears and then some younger Indy replacement person, probably a young female student of his, probaly played by Daisy Ridley, feels duty bound to go look for him. Cue much adventure and hilarity, the revelation that the baddie is the son of Belloq seeking revenge for his death, Indy getting his hands on the Golden Idol before dying, and Daisy taking the hat. Solid squalid 3/5 franchise fare.

The worst thing about Crystal skull is the lack of physical stunts to ground the craziness of what’s going on. I still maintain the best sequence is the motorcycle sidecar chase on at college - mainly because it is the only bit that was filmed for real. Otherwise, the rest of it is a CGI wankfest - that has a completely different aesthetic to the originals - all to keep the budget down/Lucas happy.

8 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The worst thing about Crystal skull is the lack of physical stunts to ground the craziness of what’s going on. I still maintain the best sequence is the motorcycle sidecar chase on at college - mainly because it is the only bit that was filmed for real. Otherwise, the rest of it is a CGI wankfest - that has a completely different aesthetic to the originals - all to keep the budget down/Lucas happy.

The motorcycle chase is a massive CGI sequence. It's just a good one.

On 13/12/2020 at 10:03, K said:

The thing is, if you actually address his age, you’d have to set the new film 41 years after Raiders. Which would mean it would be set in 1977. I can sort of imagine an Indy film set in the seventies - it wouldn’t look too different to Raiders, given when it was made - and there would be some opportunities for hilarious double takes after Indy’s runaway steam engine rolls through a cinema screening Star Wars, but it would need to be quite a different film to the older ones. 

Indiana Jones investigates corrupt cops stealing priceless ancient artefacts from crime scenes in downtown NYC. Marcus Brody is revealed to be the ringleader, having faked his own death years before. In the final shot, Indy shoots his former friend in the back as he flees across the rooftops and the credits roll silently.

I still maintain theres a good film in Crystal Skull. I'd just reverse the order of the set pieces. The big stuff that hits home in Indy is the small stuff. A man connecting with the Dad that never had time for him for instance.

Start big, do the aliens sequence as the cold open, jungle etc, then take things home with the school chase and finish with the ark warehouse sequence.

I think Logan is fab but if it was me I'd be begging whoever's behind the new Jumanji movies to do Indy 5. They get how action and character work on each other in movies.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2020 at 17:42, makkuwata said:

I definitely recognised more Han in Han during Force Awakens, but Ford famously prefers Indy. He was really trying. I don't accept any argument that the fridge thing or aliens makes less sense than any of the Judeo/Christian stuff from the good ones.

It works.

It's the fridge rolling and crashing about for about 5 seconds that ruins that clip me.

My brain just won't accept it no matter how fantastical a film is supposed to be. The Millennium Falcon being tossed around like a pinball in The Force Awakens does similar things. 

The semi-realism in the old films really added to their quality. 

2 minutes ago, Barnard said:

It's the fridge rolling and crashing about for about 5 seconds that ruins that clip me.

My brain just won't accept it no matter how fantastical a film is supposed to be. The Millennium Falcon being tossed around like a pinball in The Force Awakens does similar things. 

It just caught you at the wrong age. There are dozens of other examples, that's just the first that springs to mind.

22 hours ago, Barnard said:

Holy shit, did i just read that you thought the Indiana Jones films prior to Crystal Skull were somehow realistic? 

• 2 months later...

I really liked Fleabag but no no no. There's something about posh British actors that make American casting agents lose all sense. Like making Felicity Jones the hard bitten lead of a Star Wars film. It's just utterly bizarre. Florence Pugh for example - someone with a bit of feist and grit - that I could understand. That rings true to the Indiana Jones role. But Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Fuck off.

Her droid in Solo was bloody awful. If she must be shoved down our throats further then please don't do it in an Indy film. Bring back Willy. Bring back the chilled monkey brains. Bring back a CGI bumbling Marcus Broady. Anything other than such a vapid waste of space of an actor. 

They've cast her for the bantz/witty repartee surely? Which she is good at. Unproven in an action role but you've got to start somewhere right? Willing to keep an open mind.

5 hours ago, barkbat said:

I really liked Fleabag but no no no. There's something about posh British actors that make American casting agents lose all sense. Like making Felicity Jones the hard bitten lead of a Star Wars film. It's just utterly bizarre. Florence Pugh for example - someone with a bit of feist and grit - that I could understand. That rings true to the Indiana Jones role. But Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Fuck off.

Daisy Ridley

Felicity Jones

Emilia Clarke

Someone in the Star Wars casting unit certainly seemed to have a type.

Unless she is playing the eccentric granddaughter of Marcus Brody, then i think Phoebe what’s her face could work, but otherwise she’s hitting that point where she’s done a couple of decent things and is now being put in/attached to everything. I’ve not seen her in enough to make a judgement. 

I liked Fleabag a lot, but Phoebe Waller is like the kiss of cinematic death to any given film she’s involved with - Solo, Bond (we all can sense its impending awfulness).. and now this.

Does anyone really want to see an elderly Indy having another adventure? I’m not sure I do, and the original films are some of favourites of all time.

• Goose changed the title to Indiana Jones 5 - James Mangold Directing - Summer 2023