Who was the best britpop band?

diddlydennis

Choose  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Supergrass. Fantastic band who moved away from the "Britpop" formula with a couple of their albums (especially In it for the Money and the wonderful Road to Rouen) but Gaz and Co riding choppers towards the camera has to be one of the defining images of the era, right? 

No options for Supergrass, Space, Elastica or the Lightning Seeds? :quote:

I know the smug answer to the "Blur or Oasis?" question is always "Pulp", and for me it is really close between all those three. But if I follow my heart I'm afraid I have to choose the one I listen to the most, and who have more songs I love, rather than either of the two that are all musically defensible. And that means my answer is Oasis. Sorry!

I wish Kieron Gillen still posted here. I'm sure he'd have a few words to say on this subject.

dMnjiGm.jpg

Like any sensible person, I find the term Britpop entirely deplorable. As far as debut albums go, Definitely Maybe is about as full of amazing songs as it's possible to be. Noel Gallagher is an amazing songwriter (as long as you ignore the coke fuelled excesses of Be Here Now), and to be honest he performs a lot of the songs better than his brother. The acoustic B sides and bootlegs of Oasis, sung by Noel, are proper amazing, where you would find hidden gems like Half the World Away (Royle Family theme song), and The Masterplan. The lyrics were never the best, but by jingo he could write a good tune. It's a shame they were latched on to by the Loaded new lad lager brigade, and it's nice that he's abandoned them all with his current stuff. but aye, big Noel Gallagher fan here. His podcast work alongside Russel Brand is top notch as well, his grounding in reality playing out as a perfect foil for Brand's ridiculous frivolity. I highly recommend a listen of that there body of work.

I also liked Elastica and Mansun, but I don't really count them as Britpop either. That term conjours up terrifying memories of TFI friday being all dangerous and smashing the boundaries of TV because Sean Ryder said "bum" 3 times before the watershed, and now playing us out it's Ocean Colour Scene with their latest song about living on a barge or something.

I feel sorry for anyone who was into britpop at it's height, cause Jungle was also at it's height and a far superior, more artful music.

Saying that Pulp had really clever tunes too. Despite my better self I do really like Oasis's more boorish tunes.

5 hours ago, Mentazm said:

I feel sorry for anyone who was into britpop at it's height, cause Jungle was also at it's height and a far superior, more artful music.

Saying that Pulp had really clever tunes too. Despite my better self I do really like Oasis's more boorish tunes.

They weren't mutually exclusive though, right?  I mean I was in my mid teens during the Britpop era, if the peak was the Country House vs Roll With It chart battle then that happened about two weeks after I'd left high school so pretty much prime age to be sucked in by it all.  I still loved Goldie and other dance genres like Roni Size, Orbital & Underworld and the gigs I was going to at the time seemed to be populated by a crowd who were also into everything.  I'm probably totally misjudging this but at the time it seemed to me that the people who were into one band at the expense of all others (and at that point in time it was usually Blur or Oasis) weren't really into Britpop as a genre, they just liked their band.  

I was too young for jungle but getting into it now. Not like there was a massive jungle scene in Northern Ireland anyways.

The music still exists.

14 hours ago, Nick R said:

No options for Supergrass, Space, Elastica or the Lightning Seeds? :quote:

I know the smug answer to the "Blur or Oasis?" question is always "Pulp", and for me it is really close between all those three. But if I follow my heart I'm afraid I have to choose the one I listen to the most, and who have more songs I love, rather than either of the two that are all musically defensible. And that means my answer is Oasis. Sorry!

I wish Kieron Gillen still posted here. I'm sure he'd have a few words to say on this subject.

dMnjiGm.jpg

Is the next frame him crying and wanking alone?

Anyone remember Marion? I saw them at a free festival once and shouted "Which one's Marion?"

For I am the greatest wit that ever lived.

7 hours ago, Mentazm said:

93-96 was also the best era for Hip Hop as well.

51 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Is the next frame him crying and wanking alone?

Anyone remember Marion? I saw them at a free festival once and shouted "Which one's Marion?"

For I am the greatest wit that ever lived.

At the insistence of a mate I was going to see Marion last year(!) but it was cancelled as the singer got sent to prison for setting fire to his girlfriends clothes.