IGNORED

Edgar Wright's Baby Driver - June 2017

Goose

A talented, young getaway driver (Ansel Elgort) relies on the beat of his personal soundtrack to be the best in the game. When he meets the girl of his dreams (Lily James), Baby sees a chance to ditch his criminal life and make a clean getaway. But after being coerced into working for a crime boss (Kevin Spacey), he must face the music when a doomed heist threatens his life, love and freedom.

Wright, whose previous credits include Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and The World’s End, brought together a cast that includes Ansel Elgort (The Fault in Our Stars, Divergent) as Baby, Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspects) as Doc, Jon Hamm (Mad Men, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) as Buddy, Lily James (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Cinderella) as Deborah, Eiza Gonzalez (Jem and the Holograms, From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series) as Darling, Jon Bernthal (Marvel’s Daredevil, The Walking Dead) as Griff, and Jamie Foxx (Django Unchained, The Amazing Spider-Man 2) as Bats.

On 12/03/2017 at 09:51, Alex W. said:

Wright's directing is perfect for this. I'm kind of fascinated by the fact that it sounds like - on paper - the most awful product placement pitch for iPods in history.

Blade Trinity says "Hi"

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/3/2017 at 17:58, Vimster said:

The description in the first post alone would have put me right off this, but that trailer makes me feel hopeful. Looks good.

I'm exactly the same. I read it and thought - he's done what? Fuck's sake. But the trailer looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

Man. That trailer is kinda lame.

Anyone else feel they're completely fucking up the marketing on this flick? I mean just take the poster. They have couple of household names in this movie but the poster looks like a piece of fan art.

As for the trailers... The movie was always kind of generic in concept, but the big unique aspect of it is the execution. Something they're not even hinting at in the movie. They need to cut a trailer that's just a 2 minute sequence from the flick in context.

I dunno. Feels like this movie is being weirdly dumped.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd join in the praise for Scott Pilgrim. It may not be high art, but it's probably one of the most enjoyable films I've seen.

I have a feeling that marketing doesn't quite know what to do with Baby Driver, as the trailers don't seem to mesh with the sort of film being promised.

The new issue of Sight & Sound features an interview with Edgar Wright

2017-07.thumb.png.41825e9c99a440e07cde082314b8f520.png

From the preview (my bolding)

“The most consistently joy-giving run of films of the past ten years.”

Will it surprise anyone to learn that our reviewer is referring to the work of cult director (and this month’s S&S cover star) Edgar Wright, whose sixth feature Baby Driver sees him riffing on the likes of John Landis’s Blues Brothers and Walter Hill’s The Driver in a movie that blends the musical and action-comedy genres?

SOLD

I dunno, Hot Fuzz was supposed to be riffing on Point Break (in terms of the foot chase) but didn't - by all means make a bad film but when you're clearly versed in cinema and appreciative of particular standout sequences and choose to shape your half-homage films around them then I expect more and it bums me out that all the talk doesn't translate to  film that takes it further. Entitled heh ! The Point Break foot chase is fantastic because of the long takes and first person point of view and the quietness of it, so you don't re create bits of it and butcher it through rapid cut editing. I did love Scott Pilgrim though ! Watching the trailer in the cinema still remains a moment I remember. 

I'll obviously watch this film and reserve judgement until then but for me this film has to have the greatest car chases of the 21st century. It has to make you lament all over again that Drive doesn't repeat its opening and remains a kind of separate short film of unparalleled slick awesome cool to the rest of the film. 

Nothing of the trailer makes me excited for the car chases, but it's just a trailer I guess. The cinematography is a bit yack. The plot will be derivative and predictable with maybe at best some twists but if it's gonna be pop confection and fun I want it to be full on with it. It kinda looks more tv show than cinema.