Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

On 27/02/2021 at 22:16, Spoonman said:

just saved this beautiful monitor from the trash, playing DC on VGA CRT for the first time in 15+ years. It’s amazing. 

SgnzZOj.jpg

Ho.ly.fuck! 

What a find! Congratulations!

What some people do with these things is use a RetroTink 2x to get 480p out your console then use it's in-built scanlines for that 240p look!  

27 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Ho.ly.fuck! 

What a find! Congratulations!

Thanks! I was stoked. It even came boxed! I think I'll discard the box though as it's bloody huge. Come moving time I might want it back, I guess :/

What some people do with these things is use a RetroTink 2x to get 480p out your console then use it's in-built scanlines for that 240p look!  

Wow, thanks! Will check that out. EDIT: really interesting stuff! Seems half of that is not sold here (Germany) and I still have some more research to do. However, I would *love* to play my Saturn on this CRT.

An E400 just went up on our local marketplace. Unfortunately the enclosure has a huge chunk bashed out of one of the corners. I'm still kind of tempted by it, if only for parts, but better not bother.

Plus... I've been spending money like a maniac. That said I feel like continuing that trend for as long as I can get away with. :lol:

I'm still desperately looking for a replacement PSU board for my BVM-14M4. If anyone knows of anyone with a broken 14" PVM/BVM that at least still powers up then please let me know.

Cross-posting from the shmup thread, hope that's ok.

Spend the day doing Sunday chores, and can finally kick back with a beer. Decided to rotate the god-like freebie VGA CRT I scored the other day... and connected up the Switch. I swear there is less lag than on an LCD, but I am probably just going ga-ga for how it looks and feels to play like this.

This is basically my "arcade" system at present, and I bloody love it.

Lt1Ohpu.png

UaWT9oV.png

Thanks!
@Fallows, tell you what, if I see another one around here I will grab it and pop it in the basement until i next drive over to the UK (still planning to do so this year to visit people, and also service the car).

13 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Thanks!
@Fallows, tell you what, if I see another one around here I will grab it and pop it in the basement until i next drive over to the UK (still planning to do so this year to visit people, and also service the car).

No need for all that effort, I live in Zeddam.

Ran out of pos'es, sorry.

Here's the one up for grabs here: 
image.thumb.png.afc5e9dc29b05f9025e2eae19e4e1e80.png

If I had the skills I'd transplant the tube into a home-made cabinet. As it is it's simply not something I can put up with, especially with a curious three year-old running about.

Here we go, chaps:
image.thumb.png.91338f09336be957d675ebf3dd17df75.png

21" NEC MultiSync Diamondtron FE2111SB. Manufactured in March 2003.

€12, but a bit of a drive (300km round trip).

Should I bother pestering my wife? Cheers.

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

Here we go, chaps:
image.thumb.png.91338f09336be957d675ebf3dd17df75.png

21" NEC MultiSync Diamondtron FE2111SB. Manufactured in March 2003.

€12, but a bit of a drive (300km round trip).

Should I bother pestering my wife? Cheers.

Mitsubishi rebrand - provided the tube isn’t knackered, it should look great.

I've asked him for photo of it powered up. Sod driving all the way up to Groningen only to end up disappointed.

The wife is happy. Now I need to be happy and we're set.

Any advice for calibrating a sony CRT? Ive managed to get into the service menu but I still cant get the picture just right, its seems a bit warped and with some games (FFVII) the screen can warp during certain things happening on screen (during summons for example). There are no services that I know of near me that repair CRTs so the only option is for me to do it myself.

10 hours ago, Major Britten said:

Any advice for calibrating a sony CRT? Ive managed to get into the service menu but I still cant get the picture just right, its seems a bit warped and with some games (FFVII) the screen can warp during certain things happening on screen (during summons for example). There are no services that I know of near me that repair CRTs so the only option is for me to do it myself.

What's the exact model number?

Context-sensitive warping doesn't sound very healthy, to be honest. Something like that is probably signaling a recap.

10 hours ago, Major Britten said:

Make sure you don't have the Brightness and Contrast too cranked! That can sometimes push the CRT a bit too hard. 

If it's a normal TV, you'll have to google it off the model number. 

My PVM needed a fair amount of geometry tweaking which I did via the service menu, but it's also gotten a lot better with frequent use. Just using it everyday has improved it all. 

14 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

The NEC monitors are ace. I mentioned earlier that I still have one that I’ve used for about 20 years. Cracking picture.

No response from the seller yet. :/

I have been using a noctua usb fan with a few of my pvms. It does an awesome job of getting the heat out of the monitor which runs totally cool. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a question I was hoping somebody may be able to answer. 

I have a 14” Sony Trinitron. Can’t remember the model off the top of my head but at a guess I would say it’s circa 1990. It gives a good RGB picture and obviously I’m keen to keep it going as long as possible. It’s been in and out of the loft a number of times over the years so has been stored in very mixed environs. 

My question is, is it better to leave it powered on at the mains and in standby mode or should I be shutting it off entirely and leaving it cold when not in use if my goal is to look after it? I wasn’t sure if old kit like this prefers to have the standby power running through it or if too many cold power ups could try something? 

On 30/03/2021 at 00:43, Yiggy said:

I had a question I was hoping somebody may be able to answer. 

I have a 14” Sony Trinitron. Can’t remember the model off the top of my head but at a guess I would say it’s circa 1990. It gives a good RGB picture and obviously I’m keen to keep it going as long as possible. It’s been in and out of the loft a number of times over the years so has been stored in very mixed environs. 

My question is, is it better to leave it powered on at the mains and in standby mode or should I be shutting it off entirely and leaving it cold when not in use if my goal is to look after it? I wasn’t sure if old kit like this prefers to have the standby power running through it or if too many cold power ups could try something? 

Always turned my crts off at the mains and never had a problem

• 2 weeks later...

Rescued a Dell monitor from a skip this morning. 
there were two but the other one was face down and buried more deeply. 

screen glass isn’t scratched but it’s well mucky and got a bit of light rain on it. I think I’ll give the outside a good clean and leave it in the conservatory to dry out for a good while. 

80726F23-E4B2-427F-997E-EE8A5484C3E4.jpeg.bba928a8b2d07e666079c949a4b33a6a.jpeg

F207EC33-9486-463F-803C-EA59F0F95098.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm I think the capacitors are going on my 29inch PVM, I'm occasionally getting a light blue smear on the left side of the screen. It's only really noticeable on white backgrounds.

I bought a Sony Trinotron from eBay at a great price. Begged the seller not to use Hermes. 

they used Hermes. 

arrived in bits. 

I saw an Italian dude sell a Lacie electron blue 22 on Ebay once and he showed photos of the custom metal cage he had built to send the monitor. I think the monitor went for 600 sheets, postage was £90. 

Out of interest @Droo how much did you pay postage?

I bought a small PVM for testing when modding consoles and despite good packaging and shipping, the thing got a massive crack on the front bezel.

If it was a larger, more expensive model, I wouldn't have bothered buying one.

1 hour ago, ucci said:

I saw an Italian dude sell a Lacie electron blue 22 on Ebay once and he showed photos of the custom metal cage he had built to send the monitor. I think the monitor went for 600 sheets, postage was £90. 

Out of interest @Droo how much did you pay postage?

it was £20 I think, but I said to the lady selling it I’d pay more for anyone but Hermes. She didn’t do it. 

got a refund and she was told

afterward that Hermes don’t insure CRTs.