Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

There is a small speaker attached to the rear of the case which I removed.  I noticed that it 'rattled' when I shook it so I opened it up to find it stuffed with paper and mouse droppings!  It should perform a little better with that removed!

CRT Speaker - 1.jpeg

CRT Speaker - 2.jpeg

CRT Speaker - 3.jpeg

As you can see, I took the back off to get a look inside and also clean the rear casing more thoroughly.  Here's a few shots of it looking a little healthier:

Cleaner CRT - 3.jpeg

Cleaner CRT - 2.jpeg

Cleaner CRT - 1.jpeg

It's all back together now and has been used with a few retro consoles I have to hand (Mega Drive, Gamecube and PS1).  Even with composite it looks pretty great - the geometry is surprisingly good.  I have a PS1 RGB on the way!

I have a MiSTer on the way which will be the main device for using on this set, but the other main use will be PS1 GunCon games!  I absolutely adore them (Time Crisis, Point Blank 1 & 2 mainly) and have never been able to recreate that level of accuracy and lag-free-ness since.  I tried the Sinden light guns recently and sold them on as the lag was just too much.

My 3 kids had a (literal) blast on Time Crisis and Point Blank 1 last night and this morning and had so much fun.

1 minute ago, Colonel Panic said:

Are you discharging the anode in the tube before doing anything with guts of that TV?

No, but I am being very careful not to touch anything.  I just used a soft brush attachment on my vacuum cleaner (all plastic) to remove the worst of the dust.  I am aware that CRTs do hold some form of charge even when unplugged and unused for some time so did take great care not to blow myself up.

Not sure I should post this as it seems a bit cruel in a “look at what you can’t have way”, but these and many more are probably going to be thrown in the bin. They are BVMs, so one step up from PVMs in quality, and the best sets Sony ever made.
Sorry, had to vent. Makes you sick!

F977DAD6-0DC8-4B32-93C2-0B5996AAC929.jpeg

Oh no, I could use a power supply board from one of those 14" models! Or indeed, just replace my BVM entirely. What a complete waste.

I've been after one of those parts for three years, and there are two right there, about to be destroyed. It's dizzying.

56 minutes ago, MrSpiggott said:

It's very complicated..... But I keep trying.

If you're successful I'd certainly be interested in one.

I'm seeing a couple of Quantel stickers on those sets, am I reading to much into that as to where the possible location of these might be?!

4 minutes ago, shiffy said:

If you're successful I'd certainly be interested in one.

I'm seeing a couple of Quantel stickers on those sets, am I reading to much into that as to where the possible location of these might be?!

Well spotted.

If it's anything like the Beovision Avant, setting up a device on the RGB input is a bit of a faff and took me ages to work out. It looked and sounded bloody good once it was sorted though.

I said goodbye to an old friend yesterday, my spare 20” Sony Trinitron from the early 90s. 
Too big for my loft hatch, and heavier than the moon, I just couldn’t justify keeping it in my poor daughter’s bedroom any longer. I was able to re-home it to a fellow retro gamer so it’s all good.

This TV belonged to my friend’s dad, we used to skip school and play Saturn on it in the mid 90s. Great memories! 
I still have a newer Trinitron the same size, so it’s all good… until it stops working…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just picked up this beauty (Beovision mx 4002) for a bargain £35!  PXL_20210825_232615251.thumb.jpg.950165360b01235896978810e25ab0fe.jpg Apparently there's something wrong with the Beo4 remote but sure I can do something with it.. it'll look good in my hoard of retro tech anyway 8-)

If it's like the Avant, you should be able to plug something into the composite input and go. This is supposed to be for camcorders and it automatically defaults to that input. 

If you want to use the scart inputs you have to install a device (it's a bit of a faff) and you'll need the remote for that. 

On 30/07/2021 at 15:46, dvdx2 said:

If anyone from NI is interested, I have currently pro crts and pc crts (and will have more soon) for sale.

how come you’re getting rid of some of your screens?

1 hour ago, Droo said:

how come you’re getting rid of some of your screens?

Just downsizing abit - I’m not really retro gaming as much nowadays

3 hours ago, JamesC said:

If you want to use the scart inputs you have to install a device (it's a bit of a faff) and you'll need the remote for that. 

Yeah I want to use it with my MiSTer so gonna need to do the faff :)

I have a B&O MX4000 I play retro on and I’ve recently noticed a low pitched buzzing coming from the back of it when turned on. It’s not super loud but it is noticeable from a few feet away if playing a game and there is no music. I’ve read it could be anything from a harmless hum from the power transformer to it being a faulty flyback and only good for the tip.

Anyone have any knowledge around this? 

Adjusting the geometry of low end Ikegami monitors is an interesting experience. There are potentiometers dotted all over two boards, with some of the more useful controls like horizontal phase and vertical linearity on the side. 

Still, I'm happy with how it looks now. It's an amazing monitor, especially for €65.

I've totally got the PVM bug now though. I don't think my life will be compete until I have a 20" model. 

IMG_7490.thumb.jpeg.56a88a28bc03a6ca0c6406d2a4a5b853.jpeg