Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

1 minute ago, dvdx2 said:

Dont stress about it mate and start to enjoy! 

I'll try - it just breaks my heart to have one here not being used properly, especially in almost minty aesthetic condition. I'll spend today on it and see how far I get - if no dice I'll put it back to its pink/original state and try a manual degauss with a bar magnet on the end of a drill.

Still waiting for my modelling cement to arrive, then I'll try patching the other one up.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

I'll try - it just breaks my heart to have one here not being used properly, especially in almost minty aesthetic condition. I'll spend today on it and see how far I get - if no dice I'll put it back to its pink/original state and try a manual degauss with a bar magnet on the end of a drill.

Still waiting for my modelling cement to arrive, then I'll try patching the other one up.

Good stuff - keep the thread updated

Tried to adjust the purity, but unfortunately perfect colour landing costs me any form of acceptable geometry. I put all the coils back to their starting state, now I just need to find a strong magnet or a degauss wand.

When I place a regular magnet near the screen the perfect colours come through, but then they disappear when I pull away, sadly.

Might also add that there's nothing wrong with the on board degausser. It pings each time I press the button or turn the screen on, it just always returns to this fucked up state each time. I'm afraid that I'll spend more money on wands/magnets and it'll just return to this state each time the degausser kicks in.

5 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Other than eBay and Gumtree, where would you guys suggest I look for a decent CRT monitor (PVM or BVM ideally)?  Thanks.

I have no idea. I ordered mine from https://www.dragonbox.de. But really you want to find someone local so that you can pick it up yourself. I would never recommend having these posted from now on, no matter who the courier is or how close by.

Managed to get a good condition 21" Sony Triniton with Nicam stereo sound for my retro set-up. Looks and sounds great. The problem is that it's too big! I only have a small space and I can't get far away enough when I'm using my C64/Amiga. I'm awaiting the arrival of an S-video cable for my C64, so looking forward to seeing an improvement in picture quality there. I also need to find a remote...any suggestions on replacement Sony remotes?

51 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I got back in touch with the seller regarding my woes and he's offered me yet another replacement. I told him that I'd come to collect this one myself this time though.

So yeah, the week after next I'll be driving for 6.5 hours to collect, then 6.5 hours back again. I think I'll set off at 2am to beat the traffic.

That's some dedication. I'm off to pick up 2 boxed brand new crt monitors on Sunday. Only a 2hr round trip though.

I should be collecting a Sony PVM next weekend - a 2730QM.  Not quite the trip that @Fallows is embarking on but still a good 2hrs each way.  I am very much looking forward to trying the screen out - I just need to get some RGB retro consoles back in my collection!  First stop is a 1 Chip Super Famicom (drop me a message if you have one for sale).  I do actually have my PS1 with Time Crisis and Point Blank to try - I absolutely love light gun games so have high hopes for those.

I will post some shots of this once it arrives.  I also have an OSSC on order so will be able to make comparisons between that on my OLED and the PVM.  

10 minutes ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

I should be collecting a Sony PVM next weekend - a 2730QM.  Not quite the trip that @Fallows is embarking on but still a good 2hrs each way.  I am very much looking forward to trying the screen out - I just need to get some RGB retro consoles back in my collection!  First stop is a 1 Chip Super Famicom (drop me a message if you have one for sale).  I do actually have my PS1 with Time Crisis and Point Blank to try - I absolutely love light gun games so have high hopes for those.

I will post some shots of this once it arrives.  I also have an OSSC on order so will be able to make comparisons between that on my OLED and the PVM.  

Nice - you'll not need scalers, with a good quality pvm at your side!

5 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

I've got my 1Chip sat here, with no cables yet. I've found a Super Mario World cart on ebay for a quid all the way from Japan with free shipping so couldn't say no to that. Eventually I want an SD2SNES, but boxed copies of Starfox, Wild Trax (Stunt Race FX) and Yoshi's Island. Just waiting for my PSOne to come back from being chipped as well - I just sold all of my games to fund a Switch so I'll be yarrring it for the foreseeable future. I might start buying back once the kid is old enough, I want him to learn to appreciate real-deal items and not end up being a complete pirate like I turned out to be in the end.

I'll give it 12-months before asking the wife if I can pick up an AES and try buying my games back gradually. I've already managed to bag myself a €100 per month allowance for gaming so I can easily work wonders with that.

BVM boys make some noise:

2PfO4tsP_o.jpg

FsCKz9Vs_o.jpg

I really need to get this outputting at PAL60.

Those Super Turbo and Super Mario World shots on CRT make me so :wub:... aaaaahh... the good old days...

EDIT: Kids these days won't ever know the struggle to tune the TV in via RF lead to UHF channel 36, the "borders", playing games on a tiny 14" screen, overscan, twiddling the V SHIFT and H SHIFT knobs... that's how you get to know how technology works under the hood!

PVM GET!

Sony 2730QM with flight case. It works (always a bonus). In decent condition, geometry needs a little tweaking but the picture overall is bright and sharp.  The flight case makes a decent stand for it and is convenient to move with it being on wheels. 

I have a 1 chip Super Famicom enroute and an MVS (awaiting mods) that I can’t wait to try.

IMG_0096.jpg

So, that was quick....

For the 2nd time in 2 days I am using the Retro folder to pimp my wares!  I'm not going to keep the PVM as it just isn't practical in my space.  I will put an advert in the trading folder now but thought I'd flag it up here in case someone is after a PVM.

Details - Sony 2730QM PVM in flight case.  Monitor in good overall condition (missing SONY badge and some marks on the bezel).  Screen glass seems perfect to me.  RGB SCART input tested and working fine, s-video also tested and working fine.  I have a pair of Sony speakers on their way which will be attached and wired up in the next few days. 

I don't think that there's a practical way to ship this beast so collection only from Stourbridge (DY9) in the West Midlands.

I'm after £250 for it which just about recovers what I paid to buy it and have it delivered to me last week (and buy the speakers).

On 10/13/2017 at 15:02, Fallows said:

I got back in touch with the seller regarding my woes and he's offered me yet another replacement. I told him that I'd come to collect this one myself this time though.

So yeah, the week after next I'll be driving for 6.5 hours to collect, then 6.5 hours back again. I think I'll set off at 2am to beat the traffic.

did you pick it up?

1,300km later and I'm now back home with a BVM-14M4DE.

The guy has a serious base there. Dozens of BVMs/PVMs and other gaming gadgets. He let me take my pick of his very best monitors and I have to say that the condition and PQ on this one is exemplary. Worth the drive. Photos soon.

4 hours ago, Fallows said:

1,300km later and I'm now back home with a BVM-14M4DE.

The guy has a serious base there. Dozens of BVMs/PVMs and other gaming gadgets. He let me take my pick of his very best monitors and I have to say that the condition and PQ on this one is exemplary. Worth the drive. Photos soon.

Very nice, but where did you drive to, Outer Mongolia?

18 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

Very nice, but where did you drive to, Outer Mongolia?

Ingolstadt, just outside Munich. 650km there, 650km back. :/

Noticed a slight hiccup... The monitor will only come on if it detects a source. Without a powered source it goes to a red tally light. None of the buttons work once it's in this phase. Also, once the source is switched off it will skip back to the tally light. The way around this is to simply make sure that any consoles attached are switched on first before powering the BVM.

Probably something minor, but I'm willing to live with it until I'm qualified enough to replace the capacitors on the A-board, something I'm thinking about working towards after I level up my soldering.

I don't think any of the other caps need looking at. The PQ is honestly the most perfect I've ever seen on a CRT, I can't fault it at all.

Anyone using a Philips CM8833-ii with 60Hz consoles over RGB? There’s one not a million miles from me in good nick for £100, could be just what I’ve been looking for. The built in stereo speakers and headphone socket are attractive.

Do they do 480i? I’d assume so. 

15 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Anyone using a Philips CM8833-ii with 60Hz consoles over RGB? There’s one not a million miles from me in good nick for £100, could be just what I’ve been looking for. The built in stereo speakers and headphone socket are attractive.

I like how it's tilted back a bit. That's the only problem with PVMs on a desk, they're a bit low.

Dave, that was ED from Inglostadt. He's the guy behind the forthcoming Pyra and the reliable, honest side of the Open Pandora Linux gaming handhelds. The broadcast monitors are a sideline from his day job as a professional videographer and editor.

Top bloke.

On 11/11/2017 at 08:32, Alexlotl said:

I use one (my neighbours were throwing it out). It's a really good screen. I've only hooked up ps1 and wii so far, both via RGB Scart. 

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived back at home the other week to find my Mum had thrown out her old 14" CRT, it had rained but I was having none of it.

Stuck the little thing in the back of the car, brought it back to the office and gave it a few days to dry out, it's been working a treat since then, well, once I'd been to Pounbdland and got a replacement remote, she'd stuck that in the actual bin and neither of us thought about it till it was too late :P

Reaally can see the difference with it compared to running my older systems through the LCD that I've been doing for the last few years though, genuinely wishing I could justify having a larger one in the office as it is great going back to a CRT :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 19:28, gunrock said:

Dave, that was ED from Inglostadt. He's the guy behind the forthcoming Pyra and the reliable, honest side of the Open Pandora Linux gaming handhelds. The broadcast monitors are a sideline from his day job as a professional videographer and editor.

Top bloke.

Yep, he was showing me all of his wares. I could have spent several weeks in there.

Here are a couple of snaps. I took dozens of shots but these are the only two that came out decent enough to post on here. My wife kicks off when I set the tripod up and spend hours farting around trying to take photos of the screen, she thinks I'm a complete nut job.

BVM-14M4, SFC 1Chip, RGC Packapunch shielded RGB Scart.

mario1.jpg

mario2.jpg

mario3.jpg

sittingposition.jpg

• 7 months later...