Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

On 29/08/2022 at 10:49, Kevvy Metal said:

I have a connundrum. 

Does anyone know of some decent (does not have to be great) powered-speakers that are actually magnetically shielded?

I had to ditch my original speakers as they were not magnetically shielded, and causing a bit of interference with my PVM. So need a replacement! 

I bought some from Amazon, that claimed to be so, but they absolutely were not! So back to Amazon they go! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WQIKJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As mentioned, they don't have to be amazing because basically... I'm skint! 

I have an old set of Yamaha YST-MS50 speakers and sub woofer, back from when I first had a PC around 2000. I haven't used them for ages but they always used to sound pretty good for the size - maybe you can find a cheap set? The user manual suggests they are magnetically shielded:

• Although the YST-MS50 speakers are magnetically shielded, keep floppy disks and tapes away from them.
  • The YST-MS50s may cause picture distortion when located close to a television or computer monitor. In this case, move them away a short distance.

10 hours ago, Popo said:

Hello! I’m getting a bit curious about sourcing a CRT with the intention of getting my old consoles currently stored in my mum’s house and hooking them up, particularly for some light gun game action. I haven’t read the whole thread here, but I have done a bit of Googling about what I’m after. Unfortunately most websites focus on advice for North American enthusiasts, who don’t have easy access to RGB SCART, and therefore isn’t really worth reading as a European. 

I understand that PVMs are considered best in class due to their high durability, excellent refresh rates and sharper image reproduction thanks to the higher quality materials used in the screen and the cathode ray. Conversely, they are small, expensive, don’t have speakers built in and generally have a poor selection of inputs (and definitely no RGB SCART). Did I get that right?

I think I want a 21 inch, 4:3 aspect ratio consumer grade screen with at least component and RGB SCART inputs which supports both 50 and 60 Hz refresh rates, ideally built after 2000. Are there any models I should specifically be on the lookout for? Is there a CRT equivalent of the LG CX? The absolute slam-dunk model that you’d be daft not to buy?

Would component and RGB SCART cover the needs of all systems from MegaDrive to GameCube? I am guessing any set that supports these will also have composite, either through RCA plugs or through the SCART socket using an adapter?

Be careful about assuming all PVMs have high quality displays. A low quality display used to monitor an x-ray image or security camera and fitted with a rack mounting kit would be classed as a professional video monitor (PVM), so always read the specifications for connector details and tube quality.  A BVM (Broadcast Video Monitor) is pretty much guaranteed to be high quality, but is a bit overkill considering SNES, MegaDrive, NeoGeo etc tend to run at only 1/4 SD resolution. And sometimes PVM and BVMs from the same manufacturer share the same internals, it's just that the BVM has been calibrated before it leaves the factory.

RGB is the most important connection type, component (YUV) is only of use if you want to watch PS2 DVDs at full quality or you have a monitor that can scan higher; 480p, 720p, 1080i for consoles that can output those standards.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone have one of these as the TV you'd play your Spectrum on?

I loved mine. I don't think colour CRTs could really display the images the same way. The lines that made up the image seemed to be just long straight lines that were not broken up by the 3 colour aperture grille on a colour CRT. 

(As a 7 year old boy with a magnifying glass I was always going to learn these kinds of things)

I'd love to pick one up but I've no real console hardware so wouldn't be able to drive one without making some kind of RF transmitter. ☹️

PRODPIC-347.jpg

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Are those old CRT PC monitors with a hardwired VGA out cable instead of any input sockets of any use? Can things be plugged into them with some sort of middleman device?

Pretty much everything with VGA output will have a female VGA port so you plug the monitor into them rather than the other way round. 

I used to hook my Dreamcast up to my old PC monitor via a VGA box and the picture did indeed look beautiful. But the DC is the only console I can think of with a VGA option, so I was basically wondering if there were middleman boxes to convert HDMI or RGB Scart from other consoles. 

1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

I used to hook my Dreamcast up to my old PC monitor via a VGA box and the picture did indeed look beautiful. But the DC is the only console I can think of with a VGA option, so I was basically wondering if there were middleman boxes to convert HDMI or RGB Scart from other consoles. 

The 360 had native vga out - for the older consoles, a component to vga transcoder will let you use a gamecube, org Xbox, etc. on a pc crt too. 

I managed to pick up this JVC 24" yesterday for just over a fiver. it's a 2001 model so hopefully still has plenty of miles on the clock. Surprisingly light at around 18kg or so? I would have preferred a non widescreen set, but it's 5 quid, not excessively deep and the 4:3 aspect ratio still delivers around 20" of picture.

The picture was slightly off tilt and had the usual RGB shift (the VF2 pics were from before adjusting) but it was easy to get into the service menu (just mute and info simultaneously on the remote) and managed to get that sorted no problem.

The picture is way, way sharper than my old CRT - A Panasonic Quintrix from 1996 i believe - but that broke not long after purchase so i think the tube was just worn out. This is razor sharp by comparison, probably the first time i've seen a good CRT image in over 16 years in the flesh, i'm kinda taken aback by it.

LeQfqGV.jpg

gRkgaRV.jpg

HbWPGVh.jpg

hmjNmYp.jpg

HhLeuYI.jpg

zXZPnVJ.jpg

43 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I managed to pick up this JVC 24" yesterday for just over a fiver. it's a 2001 model so hopefully still has plenty of miles on the clock. Surprisingly light at around 18kg or so? I would have preferred a non widescreen set, but it's 5 quid, not excessively deep and the 4:3 aspect ratio still delivers around 20" of picture.

The picture was slightly off tilt and had the usual RGB shift (the VF2 pics were from before adjusting) but it was easy to get into the service menu (just mute and info simultaneously on the remote) and managed to get that sorted no problem.

The picture is way, way sharper than my old CRT - A Panasonic Quintrix from 1996 i believe - but that broke not long after purchase so i think the tube was just worn out. This is razor sharp by comparison, probably the first time i've seen a good CRT image in over 16 years in the flesh, i'm kinda taken aback by it.

LeQfqGV.jpg

gRkgaRV.jpg

HbWPGVh.jpg

hmjNmYp.jpg

HhLeuYI.jpg

zXZPnVJ.jpg

Yes! Amazing! 
As some one who simultaneously owned a consumer Toshiba 20" CRT and a 20" PVM L4, as amazing as PVM's are, you do not need them! There's loads of amazing consumer CRT's and it's actually a more true to the time look for the games you'll play on it. 

What's nice is I can flick the 60hz switch on the Saturn and it just works, I don't have to go into the tv menus and change the colour from PAL to NTSC to stop the image shifting. Also with the Argos switcher box, I can plug the Red/White phono leads into it, then those straight into the back of the Panasonic mini hifi/amp and the AUX will  just process what's being sent to the TV, so I can pump the sound through those bookshelf speakers with whatever system i'm using (except the Master System which is RF, but that would probably be overkill!) Just have to pick up a 360 Scart lead, and i'll only have to swap the scart going into the 3rd slot on the switcher (the DC and Saturn always take the first two, no questions asked) so I won't ever need to manhandle the CRT to get to the back either :) 

One other thing I've missed is it's nice to put crap on top of them 😅

Fx1Os7G_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I remember back in 2006, paying nearly £600 for a 27" Samsung HDTV, one of the first ones out,  that didn't even have HDMI sockets on it.

samsung-le-27t51b.jpg

All of my consoles except the 360 which went into the VGA slot, looked like complete and total shit, with horrendous motion blur, but I'd convinced myself that hey, they work, it's acceptable, and this is the future. What a colossal waste of money that was. I took my CRT to Gamestation where I worked, and put it in the staff room. It's probably still there, even though it's a CEX now ! 

On modern flat screens, I'll still maintain you can get excellent results with an OSSC, especially if that's your only TV, but I'm glad I have the space for this lovely slab of analog goodness.