Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

I picked up a Sony Trinitron KV 14T1U which has been lovely. Running a Neo Geo and a CPS2 through it and they are wonderful. I tried them on my OLED 55” with a scart to HDMI upscaler but they looked shite! I much prefer playing hunched over the CRT and it brings back memories of completing RE4 on a 14”

On 04/08/2018 at 17:30, erhgiez said:

I picked up a Sony Trinitron KV 14T1U which has been lovely. Running a Neo Geo and a CPS2 through it and they are wonderful. I tried them on my OLED 55” with a scart to HDMI upscaler but they looked shite! I much prefer playing hunched over the CRT and it brings back memories of completing RE4 on a 14”

tidy little set that if you need some settings for the service menu etc lemme know as ive got a text file with the settings i use for my  KV-14m1u

23 minutes ago, MatOfTheDead said:

tidy little set that if you need some settings for the service menu etc lemme know as ive got a text file with the settings i use for my  KV-14m1u

Thanks, I got into the service menu and fixed the rgb shift but still have a bit of overscan with ntsc, if I fix it then pal stuff becomes squished. I’d be interested to see the settings though

My TV is set to overscan by default and the underscan option gave huge borders. It runs NTSC stuff with borders all around, albeit not huge. PAL stuff is generally similar when optimised but some games, mainly PS1 that use the systems full display show right to the top and bottom. 

Is this a particular issue for the TV? Image quality remains exceptional but I naturally want it to last. 

17 hours ago, erhgiez said:

Thanks, I got into the service menu and fixed the rgb shift but still have a bit of overscan with ntsc, if I fix it then pal stuff becomes squished. I’d be interested to see the settings though

now bear in mind this is for my tv and might be a little bit out for yours but its useful as a rough guide for Ps1 and PS2

Sony Trinitron KV-14m1u
these are the service menu setting for 50hz Ver. Size 38 Ver. Breath 00 Pin Ampl 00 Par Tilt 00 V. Linear 00 Corn Corr 00 Vcen or EW 00 V. Position 35 H. Centre 30 Blue HWB 11 Green HWB 18 Red HWB 29 B&W Delay 00

60hz Ver. Size 30

1 minute ago, MatOfTheDead said:

been after a pvm for a while just to tinker wtih

It's ace and I was really lucky to get one locally for that price.  I have only tried PS1 games on it so far as I miss playing light gun games like Point Blank but they all look amazing on it.  

2 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

It's ace and I was really lucky to get one locally for that price.  I have only tried PS1 games on it so far as I miss playing light gun games like Point Blank but they all look amazing on it.  

yeah ive been trying to find one local but not had much luck so far

Pvms / bvms seem to be gettting really hard to pick up. My last scoop was a pvm 2053 from a retired consultant (medical monitor) and I managed to snag two bvm 20F1E’s for a post production company over 6mths ago . Havent seen anything a good few months  now.

20 hours ago, MatOfTheDead said:

Is this something you can help me out with my PVM? I am just using it as it came at the moment (it was used for CCTV!)

• 1 month later...

A mate at work knows I'm into old stuff, so donated a Bush portable TV so I could rescue it from landfill. 

The RGB seems to be decent enough, so does anyone want it? I've got no need for it, and Mrs. Treb has to put up with enough of my garbage cluttering the house already :) Can maybe arrange collection or drop off if you're in the North West. 

DSC_1868_1536741733476.thumb.jpg.cec93f82e0f7967236ca1cd504658069.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New place so new area. I've got myself a nice little desk/office area that I keep my PVM on along with a vertical rack of various retro consoles. 

I'm loving it even more now that it has a far more "dedicated" space. 

I'm now doing the very important mod to it by adding lots of stickers to the sides of the PVM :)

SOTN_CRT.thumb.jpg.d74818104780f9ef1cf44d7ca677fd64.jpg

Hey @Fallows do you still have your PVM? You last talked about selling your Snes for an Analogue NT. 

On 02/10/2017 at 22:32, dvdx2 said:

IMG_0502.JPG

Back in 1993 I'd have the back off  the TV and hunting down the pots height and width to get rid of borders. Aspect ratio be damned! I'd even take the back off the TV in the living room when my parents went out, quickly adjusting it back before they came home. I'm surprised I didn't fry myself.

If only I'd known back then how easy it was to mod an original Megadrive for 60hz.

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Hey @Fallows do you still have your PVM? You last talked about selling your Snes for an Analogue NT. 

Yeah I've still got it.

Still torn between a Super Nt or an SD2SNES. I also want a Core Grafx with RGB/Amp mod for some reason. :/  Too much stuff to get past the wife. The way I see it the SD2SNES will always be there, making the Super Nt an easy pick.

I also need to start learning soldering and electronics. I still have the red tally light issue when there is no RGB source detected so a re-cap is going to be essential in the near future. I might ask if I can start lifting CRTs from the recycling plant just to practice with. This is when I get the time of course - I'm utterly stacked with work currently and I'm lucky if I can get an hour a day for anything gaming related whatsoever.

I got hold of a CRT for my older consoles, only a 28" widescreen Alba which is a brand I would never buy myself but it has RGB Scart input and I'm blown away by good it looks compared to my HDTV. It had no remote so I had to buy a universal remote for it so I could select AV channels and change aspect ratios but it was well worth it.

I was watching the My Life in Gaming episode on how to get the best picture from your PS2 and they said something along the lines of "if you haven't seen a PS2 running on a CRT lately you might be surprised by how good it looks" and how right they were. It's a few years since I've had a CRT for my consoles and I had forgotten just how much better these old consoles look when played on the screens they were designed for.

Final Fantasy vii looks fantastic and the original Tomb Raider looks much, much better as well, I had been playing PSone classics on my Vita and while it does a great job of displaying them it's still a hand held and sometimes you just want the big screen experience. Like I said the PS2 looks fantastic, I tried a few games and I was delighted each time. The Wii, holy shit does the Wii look good on a CRT tv with RGB scart.

I'll try out my original xbox when I get back from work tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Mallet said:

I got hold of a CRT for my older consoles, only a 28" widescreen Alba which is a brand I would never buy myself but it has RGB Scart input and I'm blown away by good it looks compared to my HDTV. It had no remote so I had to buy a universal remote for it so I could select AV channels and change aspect ratios but it was well worth it.

I was watching the My Life in Gaming episode on how to get the best picture from your PS2 and they said something along the lines of "if you haven't seen a PS2 running on a CRT lately you might be surprised by how good it looks" and how right they were. It's a few years since I've had a CRT for my consoles and I had forgotten just how much better these old consoles look when played on the screens they were designed for.

Final Fantasy vii looks fantastic and the original Tomb Raider looks much, much better as well, I had been playing PSone classics on my Vita and while it does a great job of displaying them it's still a hand held and sometimes you just want the big screen experience. Like I said the PS2 looks fantastic, I tried a few games and I was delighted each time. The Wii, holy shit does the Wii look good on a CRT tv with RGB scart.

I'll try out my original xbox when I get back from work tomorrow.

Absolute. So much this. 

I was using my old 20" Toshiba CRT before getting the PVM I now use, in a fit of self indulgence. 

Switching to the old CRT I used for my Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox back 16 odd years ago was totally revelatory. 

The guys in the US are particularly doo-lally for PVM's as they had no RGB equipped commercial TV's where as we're totally spoilt for them. 

A PVM is a high quality CRT but consumer grade stuff over here can look incredible and these old CRT's bought for a song. 

I do love the scalers like the Framemeister and the OSSC, but stuff like the 240p/480i handshake stuff will eventually drive you up the wall.. and even though the digitised chunky pixel look is good on a flat screen, no CRT filter gets close to the real thing. 

Yeah, CRT and LCD are simply two completely different ways to produce a picture and you will never get them the same.

I had my consoles connected via component to a home cinema receiver which upscaled the image to 1080p and output via HDMI. It looked pretty good, much better than connecting them straight to the TV. It just never looked right to me.

Another thing is these consoles were never meant be played on huge 40" plus screens. I said only 28 inches in my previous post but in reality that was a big TV back in the day. Most of my friends and I all played on 14" portables growing up.

And of course you have zero concerns about input lag.

I even had my PS3 hooked up to it, it's a great way to play PS one classics that may have gotten expensive over the years. I'm curious now to hook my Wii U up to see how GBA and DS games look on it.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

The WiiU only does a minimum of 480 res, so it won't look as good as something doing native 240p.

Yep - 480p to a crt monitor, for the best possible pic for the gamecube / Wii, (component transcoded to vga or for the GC a modded component cable with a vga fitting)

https://ibb.co/bU4DcU
https://ibb.co/mS8TBp

oops, thought you where talking about the Wii!

Wow, just hooked up my original Xbox and played 15 minutes of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. It looks great but that isn't what has me shocked, I never realised how much input lag was on my old set up. I played the same game last week on my HDTV, game mode of course, and I can feel a definite difference in the responsiveness of the game.

I wonder how much lag my receiver was adding to upscale the image to 1080p. 

11 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Wow, just hooked up my original Xbox and played 15 minutes of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. It looks great but that isn't what has me shocked, I never realised how much input lag was on my old set up. I played the same game last week on my HDTV, game mode of course, and I can feel a definite difference in the responsiveness of the game.

I wonder how much lag my receiver was adding to upscale the image to 1080p. 

The SNES Classic is totally unplayable for me on even something with 21ms of screen latency. The emulation layer is adding so much more on top of that. When playing SMK it's like I've had around 17 pints.

Balder's Gate isn't even that twitchy. Imagine something like Street Fighter, or even Mario.

I had to skip my crt last week, absolutely gutted as the rgb scart socket went (pink tint to everything) took it apart to try and fix it to no avail. It was a black 28" 4:3 Panasonic set from 1996 so it looked ace but was heavy as fook. 

What shocked me when I took it to the tip were the 100s of good condition sets and monitors in the shipping container. They won't let you take them either. Saw a lovely looking trinitron in there too. 

Ive had to replace it with a lcd and to be fair the Dreamcast over VGA looks great, so does the ps2 and xbox over component. 

However the Mega Drive over RGB scart on a lcd is horrific. Cannot get a decent picture out of it at all. 

On 28/09/2018 at 20:33, Fallows said:

The SNES Classic is totally unplayable for me on even something with 21ms of screen latency. The emulation layer is adding so much more on top of that. When playing SMK it's like I've had around 17 pints.

Balder's Gate isn't even that twitchy. Imagine something like Street Fighter, or even Mario.

I found a snes I had completely forgot about after reading your post and I loaded up SMW and I was completely floored when I was able to play it pretty decently because my last memory was of being awful at the game.

Like a lot of people I always think to myself "god, I was so much better at games when I was younger" Now likely a fair portion of that is down to how much we used to play when we had more free time but I'm starting to wonder how much are the modern TVs we play on contributing to it.