Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey-oh, quick question. I’ve got a Sony Trinitron KV-14LT1U in grey wi remote. Works nice. Last weekend I picked up a white (well, once white) KV-14T1U wi no remote and missing front panel. Someone at work is after a 14in Trinitron for their Megadrive.

I’ve just rigged the white one up and it’s got a great picture although Megadrive image is a little cut off the left (presumably that’s something I can sort wi a  remote). 

Oh, the grey LT1U has a circular melt in it - presumably where someone’s left a night light on top of it. 

Anyway. I’m minded to keep the T1U - it’s a cool colour (despite the discolouring) and the picture seems better but will I be able to pick up a remote and does anyone have any opinions on which to keep? Ta!

2 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

Hey-oh, quick question. I’ve got a Sony Trinitron KV-14LT1U in grey wi remote. Works nice. Last weekend I picked up a white (well, once white) KV-14T1U wi no remote and missing front panel. Someone at work is after a 14in Trinitron for their Megadrive.

I’ve just rigged the white one up and it’s got a great picture although Megadrive image is a little cut off the left (presumably that’s something I can sort wi a  remote). 

Oh, the grey LT1U has a circular melt in it - presumably where someone’s left a night light on top of it. 

Anyway. I’m minded to keep the T1U - it’s a cool colour (despite the discolouring) and the picture seems better but will I be able to pick up a remote and does anyone have any opinions on which to keep? Ta!

You might need a native Sony remote for accessing the secret menu where you can play around with geometry settings and stuff. I'd keep whichever one you can get a remote for.

I just picked up a like-new Sony PVM-14M2E for €50 which to my surprise also included the flight case. It has hardly been used apparently. I was going to use this one as a donor for my BVM, but I don't think I will now as there isn't even a speck of dust anywhere to be seen. I gave it a quick test and it just needs a slight yoke adjustment - other than that it's a corker. Pictures once I get it set up.

46720478_205690910309536_588688274657535

• 5 months later...

I think the time has come to sell my Sony PVM due to space restrictions.  It's only the 14" one but as much as I love it I can't justify keeping it. I am trying to get a rough idea on pricing but nothing shows up - has anyone any experience of selling one? The one I have is the PVM-1454QM and it all works great.  It comes with the PVM component to scart connector so you can use it with pretty much any console.

1 hour ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I think the time has come to sell my Sony PVM due to space restrictions.  It's only the 14" one but as much as I love it I can't justify keeping it. I am trying to get a rough idea on pricing but nothing shows up - has anyone any experience of selling one? The one I have is the PVM-1454QM and it all works great.  It comes with the PVM component to scart connector so you can use it with pretty much any console.

Prices are through the roof nowadays mate - it’s an older unit, but you would still get £150 (maybe abit more) easily on gumtree, or more on the bay. Just be careful about posting these monitors - they have a serious tendency to crack down the left hand side of the bezel, potentially causing  other internal damage. I’d suggest collection only. Retro gamers are going nuts over pvms/bvms at the moment!

Be mindful that you may not be able to pick one up next time as easily if you do sell it. They are becoming more scarce and you are going to get inferior quality from a Scaler or consumer crt, if that’s your next go to for retro. 

Cheers Andy - great info and I certainly don't want to even think about posting it!.  Got me thinking about keeping it now though as like you say I won't ever get another one and certainly not at the price I paid for it!.  Need to have a think but if anyone is after one on here in the Derbyshire / Manchester area give me a nudge and it might persuade me. 

• 3 weeks later...

As I'm now the proud owner of an OSSC, I can get rid of the one CRT I have left that I was saving for testing on. 

DSC_0480_1558639408402.thumb.jpg.7e078061c12265bd81a0fcd6e3636a73.jpg

It's a 1084S (D variant) and I think it works fine. I may or may not be able to test it tomorrow (cable dependent), but I think it's fine. 

Anyway, I'll shift it on for a decent price if anyone here is interested :)

13 hours ago, Treble said:

As I'm now the proud owner of an OSSC, I can get rid of the one CRT I have left that I was saving for testing on. 

It's a 1084S (D variant) and I think it works fine. I may or may not be able to test it tomorrow (cable dependent), but I think it's fine. 

Anyway, I'll shift it on for a decent price if anyone here is interested :)

I'm VERY interested.

How much and where are you?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, watusi said:

So, I seem to have gone down the CRT rabbit hole. I need to get myself a decent start switcher, I was eyeing up this :

http://otaku-games.com/6-port-rgb-scart-switch-with-housing.html

but i wondered whether anyone had any recommendations? Switchers seem to vaery between dirt cheap and bonkers!!

I've just bought a W-Hydra 16:2 (by Lotharek) for all my consoles and it works perfectly.  You could go for the Hydra 8:1 if that's all you need though and save a fair few quid.

5 hours ago, watusi said:

So, I seem to have gone down the CRT rabbit hole. I need to get myself a decent start switcher, I was eyeing up this :

http://otaku-games.com/6-port-rgb-scart-switch-with-housing.html

but i wondered whether anyone had any recommendations? Switchers seem to vaery between dirt cheap and bonkers!!

Ive just bought one of these and got stung on tax, so be prepared to add about another £12 on top of the price plus postage.

I also bought a couple of RGB Scart switch boxes from consolegoods.co.uk which were £6.90 each (I use 4 CRT’s in my room) and the results are just the same. Have a look, they are on this page: http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/misc/misc.htm

Yeah I looked at that Lotharek one but £££££! Too much for me to bite off when I’m just getting back into old consoles. 

I’ll try the cheap one for now and if not happy with it go up a notch. 5 ports is enough for now. 

Cheers both

2 hours ago, watusi said:

Yeah I looked at that Lotharek one but £££££! Too much for me to bite off when I’m just getting back into old consoles. 

I’ll try the cheap one for now and if not happy with it go up a notch. 5 ports is enough for now. 

Cheers both

I have this - http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/pre-order-gscartsw_lite/

It's amazing and will solve any issues you might have with sync. 

Go big or go home imo. 

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I have this - http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/pre-order-gscartsw_lite/

It's amazing and will solve any issues you might have with sync. 

Go big or go home imo. 

That looks great but thats £180 of big. Cheap and cheerful will get me over the line, if I keep the CRTs and consoles then maybe I'll cough up for something amazing!

• 2 months later...

So I've been looking at a Sony PVM 20M4U HR Trinitron Professional Monitor that is being sold by someone in my local area, but I have a few questions I'm looking into being answered before I even begin an actual inquiry. Firstly, I have a Wii with component cables that I could test out, but what other additional adapters will I need to plug into this PVM? Secondly, he's selling it for roughly $500, roughly around 400 pounds, and was wondering how good of a deal this may or may not be. I may be able to talk this individual down, but who knows. 

On 13/09/2019 at 23:05, Super Stop and Shop said:

So I've been looking at a Sony PVM 20M4U HR Trinitron Professional Monitor that is being sold by someone in my local area, but I have a few questions I'm looking into being answered before I even begin an actual inquiry. Firstly, I have a Wii with component cables that I could test out, but what other additional adapters will I need to plug into this PVM? Secondly, he's selling it for roughly $500, roughly around 400 pounds, and was wondering how good of a deal this may or may not be. I may be able to talk this individual down, but who knows. 

You need to get a scart to bnc adapter for RGB, but it will also accept component (480i only). That PVM has a very high line count and 480i won’t look too good on it (it won’t accept 480p by component for your wii; you would need something like a 20L5 for that).  If the Wii is soft modded with some emulation,  fire up the 240p test suite and you can check geometry / convergence etc Price is maybe a little high as that version was superseded by the 20L4 / L5, but still worth considering.

11 hours ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

The amount of information in this post is overwhelming. I'm going to go lie down now. 

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks! Lots of things to think about. I guess i don't know jack shit about CRTs. 

Sorry for the gobbledygook- yes you can test your wii via component on it - you just need these 3 rca to bnc plugs which you can buy really cheap on eBay. Just make sure the pvm is set to internal sync

17 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

You need to get a scart to bnc adapter for RGB, but it will also accept component (480i only). That PVM has a very high line count and 480i won’t look too good on it (it won’t accept 480p by component for your wii; you would need something like a 20L5 for that).  If the Wii is soft modded with some emulation,  fire up the 240p test suite and you can check geometry / convergence etc Price is maybe a little high as that version was superseded by the 20L4 / L5, but still worth considering.

There's nothing wrong with 480i...it is what it is, and the high TVL won't make it look any worse :huh:

It also looks like the 20L5 was never released over here in the UK. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

There's nothing wrong with 480i...it is what it is, and the high TVL won't make it look any worse :huh:

It also looks like the 20L5 was never released over here in the UK. 

Personal preference - I find the high TVL produces more interlaced bob between the scanlines. I sit 3 feet away so it’s very noticeable. Looks ok on my 600TVL sets though and even better on a consumer set.

yep no L5’s in the uk, but the OP was talking dollars, so I assumed he’s from the US.

a guy over at reddit sums it up well

It depends on what you're looking for. Generally with lower TVL monitors the image won't be as sharp but the interlaced flicker isn't as noticeable. This is really apparent when you have a consumer set and a high TVL monitor next to each other with a 480i signal going to both. The lower TVL count will result in a more "full" looking image which is softer, while with a higher TVL count you can easily see the alternating vertical scan lines and you'll have a much sharper image.

20 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Personal preference - I find the high TVL produces more interlaced bob between the scanlines. I sit 3 feet away so it’s very noticeable. Looks ok on my 600TVL sets though and even better on a consumer set.

yep no L5’s in the uk, but the OP was talking dollars, so I assumed he’s from the US.

a guy over at reddit sums it up well

It depends on what you're looking for. Generally with lower TVL monitors the image won't be as sharp but the interlaced flicker isn't as noticeable. This is really apparent when you have a consumer set and a high TVL monitor next to each other with a 480i signal going to both. The lower TVL count will result in a more "full" looking image which is softer, while with a higher TVL count you can easily see the alternating vertical scan lines and you'll have a much sharper image.

I guess it's personal preference, but I have a 20L4 and -used to- have a consumer set and I love 480i on the 20L4. 

PS2 and Gamecube stuff has never looked better imo!