Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

On 01/03/2020 at 23:43, Droo said:

If you have a wide screen crt and choose 4:3 ratio and use an RGB cable - is this the same as using an RGB on a native 4:3 tv?

I ask because my Sony triniton widescreen displays washed out colours via RGB and better but smudged colours via rf. 

Yes 

Analogue RGB is a fixed colour signal - that’s why you can’t alter the colour on your menu/remote (values of gain can be changed in the service menu, not meant for consumers; so don’t go fiddling unless you know what you are doing!)).. RF is the poorest / inaccurate video signal for image quality, but will allow, like composite, s video or component, fully operational use of the colour / sharpness setting in the TVs consumer menu. The colour setting for RF may look ‘better’ to you, but is probably set way too high and looks smudged, because of the over saturation (higher colour value). 

11 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Yes 

Analogue RGB is a fixed colour signal - that’s why you can’t alter the colour on your menu/remote (values of gain can be changed in the service menu, not meant for consumers; so don’t go fiddling unless you know what you are doing!)).. RF is the poorest / inaccurate video signal for image quality, but will allow, like composite, s video or component, fully operational use of the colour / sharpness setting in the TVs consumer menu. The colour setting for RF may look ‘better’ to you, but is probably set way too high and looks smudged, because of the over saturation (higher colour value). 

Interesting. the RGB signal looks really washed out to me, but I suppose it could be considered the “proper colour”. 

it’s hard to judge. 

1 minute ago, Droo said:

Interesting. the RGB signal looks really washed out to me, but I suppose it could be considered the “proper colour”. 

it’s hard to judge. 

Yep, It can take your eyes a while to adjust, coming from a colour signal set too high. 

The ‘proper colour (RGB)’ depends on the value of your TVs internal gain settings and accuracy can drift as the tube ages. Best not to worry too much as it’s a pretty deep rabbit hole, once you start going down it! (Unless you want to!). I will see if I can find a good basic calibration guide for you.

28 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Yep, It can take your eyes a while to adjust, coming from a colour signal set too high. 

The ‘proper colour (RGB)’ depends on the value of your TVs internal gain settings and accuracy can drift as the tube ages. Best not to worry too much as it’s a pretty deep rabbit hole, once you start going down it! (Unless you want to!). I will see if I can find a good basic calibration guide for you.

That’s be good and really useful. 

Im using a Sony Trinatron model escapes me right this second. 

I wonder if anyone is able to give me some advice. I just picked up a 17" pc crt monitor, nothing special unfortunately. It has the standard vga connection on it. I gave it a test with the xbox360 and vga cable and it worked fine. I attempted to connect my pc with a hdmi to vga adapter, a tendak one from amazon. The monitor acted as if it was working, the "no connection" text disappeared off the screen and it clicked as if it was changing resolution however there was nothing actually displayed onscreen.

Does anyone know of a decent adapter that I may have more luck with? Cheers.

I didn't manage to get the adapter working but I was able to use the cpu graphics chip to get some vga out action going. Tested with some older games i already had installed. Here is Crysis running terribly at like 15fps and then Halo at 640x480 120hz.

lmfJEyA.jpg

2DRuw7y.jpg

22 hours ago, jamesy said:

I wonder if anyone is able to give me some advice. I just picked up a 17" pc crt monitor, nothing special unfortunately. It has the standard vga connection on it. I gave it a test with the xbox360 and vga cable and it worked fine. I attempted to connect my pc with a hdmi to vga adapter, a tendak one from amazon. The monitor acted as if it was working, the "no connection" text disappeared off the screen and it clicked as if it was changing resolution however there was nothing actually displayed onscreen.

Does anyone know of a decent adapter that I may have more luck with? Cheers.

You know, I actually do! ...sort of... :(

More details at the link but, in short, I tried three different adapters (DP to VGA, HMDI to VGA which was also 5v powered,  Dell DisplayLink adapter) and none of them worked properly/fully. I suepct wth the first two it's drivers. The Displaylink one was definitely limited throughput (USB 2.0, urrrrgh).

In the end, the video at the link showed that using a USB-C to VGA converter - connecting it to your Graphics card directly - was the only surefire winner.

Downside, of course, is that USB-C as a display output is not common on cards earlier than mid-late 2019 :/

If your PC can do it, though, buy the adapter I linked to and you'll be golden.

Cheers for the advice, I'll maybe just use the crt for some retro pc action in the meantime rather than mess about with more adapters. I'm still on an rx480 from 2016 and while I'm planning to upgrade it won't be until the next generation cards appear on the market. Hopefully they will have usb-c included too for some bonus crt goodness.

I thought something like that Dell one would do the trick as well. The adapter I have works perfectly on the lcd monitor I have but on the crt it's a no go.

17 hours ago, StoooTube said:

I see Dell sell an HDMI to VGA adaptor on their site, it’s around £16. Maybe I’m naive, but I’d assume that would be worth a punt?

I don't think you read our posts closely enough ;)

Jamesy has tried one and I've tried a whopping three, and none of those options worked for us. It's definitely related to how a CRT interprets the signal. As a wild guess, I'd think it'd be down to voltages and the vagaries of digital encoding but without seeing what gubbins are being used in these converters, it's definitely a moot point.

@jamesy yeah, I'd just muddle through until you upgrade your card (making sure it deffo has a USB-C connection when you do ;) )

5 hours ago, Treble said:

I don't think you read our posts closely enough ;)

Jamesy has tried one and I've tried a whopping three, and none of those options worked for us. It's definitely related to how a CRT interprets the signal.

@jamesy

I didn’t notice you’d tried the specific Dell branded one, Jamesy mentioned a (presumably Chinese) brand. I presumed the Dell one would be better as it had mostly positive reviews on their site...

I took a punt on an HDMI to VGA adaptor from Amazon. Then discovered I only have one hdmi socket in my video card...

Anyway I was doubtful, but using a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor then HDMI to VGA, I instantly got a picture on my CRT. 

I’m using an RX Vega 56.

On 18/03/2020 at 17:55, StoooTube said:

I took a punt on an HDMI to VGA adaptor from Amazon. Then discovered I only have one hdmi socket in my video card...

Anyway I was doubtful, but using a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor then HDMI to VGA, I instantly got a picture on my CRT. 

I’m using an RX Vega 56.

Maybe the displayport is a better option somehow? I've no idea myself. Get some pics up! :D

13 hours ago, jamesy said:

Maybe the displayport is a better option somehow? I've no idea myself. Get some pics up! :D

Will do. I’ll also check it through the hdmi socket.

Doing some research, problems could be down to timing issues... 1080p flatscreens run at something like 59hz so you need to set the output to 60hz for the CRT to pick it up. Not sure if that’s something you’ve played about with? However if you’re running an RX480 then we’ll be using the same drivers so I’d have thought we’d have the same automatic results?!

8 hours ago, StoooTube said:

Will do. I’ll also check it through the hdmi socket.

Doing some research, problems could be down to timing issues... 1080p flatscreens run at something like 59hz so you need to set the output to 60hz for the CRT to pick it up. Not sure if that’s something you’ve played about with? However if you’re running an RX480 then we’ll be using the same drivers so I’d have thought we’d have the same automatic results?!

Hmm, I have noticed on occasion 59hz being shown somewhere on my pc. I'll attempt a custom resolution to see if that has any affect. Cheers for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

It definitely a timing issue, I’m having inconsistent connection issues when playing on the CRT as a second monitor. I tried Mushihimesama on Steam, in Tate mode. Looked amazing but I kept getting a black screen pop up for around 5 seconds at a time. Something else to investigate while I’m stuck at home!

I travelled to Wolverhampton a few weeks back to get a Sony 2950QM PVM.

The geometry needs fixing and there’s a little bit of colour bleed in the top left, bit overall I’m happy with it. Shame I scratched it a little when I was moving it!

068633EA-5CAD-442F-8DB1-6A3866C7D54C.jpeg

2 hours ago, strider said:

The geometry needs fixing and there’s a little bit of colour bleed in the top left, bit overall I’m happy with it. Shame I scratched it a little when I was moving it!

Nice, but turn your brightness up a bit; you are loosing a ton of detail!

12 hours ago, strider said:

damn nice find mate only up the road from me too

28 minutes ago, MatOfTheDead said:

damn nice find mate only up the road from me too

It's certainly not perfect and seeing everything that 480i offers on a sharp 27 inch screen takes some getting use to but I'm happy with what I paid for it, which was a good few hundred quid than what it normally sells for.

1 hour ago, strider said:

It's certainly not perfect and seeing everything that 480i offers on a sharp 27 inch screen takes some getting use to but I'm happy with what I paid for it, which was a good few hundred quid than what it normally sells for.

i would love a pvm or even a little bvm but never have much look

7 minutes ago, MatOfTheDead said:

i would love a pvm or even a little bvm but never have much look

It's a bittersweet experience to be fair. I had an amazing 20 inch sony before this but it broke after 3 weeks. While I'm enjoying this new one it's so sharp I'm seeing things I wouldn't normally notice. Add in the general issues I'm discovering through constant use and the worry that it could break at any moment (it's from the Nineties) and it becomes quite a rollercoaster experience. It doesn't help as well that prices of these things are climbing to silly levels (this one typically sells for £500+). Your best bet is to contact hospitals etc directly and enquire there (not at the moment mind).

33 minutes ago, strider said:

It's a bittersweet experience to be fair. I had an amazing 20 inch sony before this but it broke after 3 weeks. While I'm enjoying this new one it's so sharp I'm seeing things I wouldn't normally notice. Add in the general issues I'm discovering through constant use and the worry that it could break at any moment (it's from the Nineties) and it becomes quite a rollercoaster experience. It doesn't help as well that prices of these things are climbing to silly levels (this one typically sells for £500+). Your best bet is to contact hospitals etc directly and enquire there (not at the moment mind).

yeah prices have been climbing for a while now

@strider I suggest opening it up and giving it a clean with a brush and some compressed air (it's likely never been cleaned before). Check any caps for swelling or leaks. You might feel like a useless turd but in doing that kind of thing repeatedly you begin to familiarise yourself with the innards. Like I said earlier I could probably carry out a full dismantle and recap by now if I had to. Check out Retro Tech on Youtube. Easily the best PVM maintenance tutorials.

I'm always opening mine up for a fiddle. I moved my retro trolley 180 degrees to the other side of the room at the weekend and the geometry rotated back again slightly, so had to perform yet another yoke adjustment.

Why not take more pictures of your set? That one above isn't doing it any justice.

9 hours ago, Fallows said:

@strider I suggest opening it up and giving it a clean with a brush and some compressed air (it's likely never been cleaned before). Check any caps for swelling or leaks. You might feel like a useless turd but in doing that kind of thing repeatedly you begin to familiarise yourself with the innards. Like I said earlier I could probably carry out a full dismantle and recap by now if I had to. Check out Retro Tech on Youtube. Easily the best PVM maintenance tutorials.

I'm always opening mine up for a fiddle. I moved my retro trolley 180 degrees to the other side of the room at the weekend and the geometry rotated back again slightly, so had to perform yet another yoke adjustment.

Why not take more pictures of your set? That one above isn't doing it any justice.

I’m deathly afraid of opening it up on my own. I may consider it when I can get a friend over to help but not just yet. I have found a remote to fix the geometry via the menu but it doesn’t appear to save settings so I’m going to look on eBay for another one.

will try and get some more pics up later.