Any CRT fans on the forum? Monitors, broadcast, tvs

dvdx2

22 hours ago, MatOfTheDead said:

i would love a pvm or even a little bvm but never have much look

I own a really nice PVM 20L4 and it's super awesome, but the drive to get these things I really do feel is an American cultural thing. 

No doubt, it's awesome playing games on a 600 or 800 tvl monitor, but we're so lucky in the UK to have an abundance of old CRT's that accept RGB video and 60Hz all at around 350 tvl. 

I recently threw out my 20" Toshiba consumer CRT that I literally bought in 2002 and played games on it for 5 years till I bought a - really bad - Samsung HDTV, one of those Xbox 360 companion ones. 

It looked SO good, and dare I say.. more genuine than a PVM. 

33 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I own a really nice PVM 20L4 and it's super awesome, but the drive to get these things I really do feel is an American cultural thing. 

No doubt, it's awesome playing games on a 600 or 800 tvl monitor, but we're so lucky in the UK to have an abundance of old CRT's that accept RGB video and 60Hz all at around 350 tvl. 

I recently threw out my 20" Toshiba consumer CRT that I literally bought in 2002 and played games on it for 5 years till I bought a - really bad - Samsung HDTV, one of those Xbox 360 companion ones. 

It looked SO good, and dare I say.. more genuine than a PVM. 

I've got a 20 inch Sony Trinitron that looks superb still so it won't be going anywhere (in fact I may try and find a way to set it up still as interlacing is far less apparent on it. It can't compare to the scanlines you see on a PVM though and and it's not quite as sharp so I was happy to make the upgrade. If you can get a good Trinitron it's unlikely you'll feel like you're missing out.

6 minutes ago, strider said:

I've got a 20 inch Sony Trinitron that looks superb still so it won't be going anywhere (in fact I may try and find a way to set it up still as interlacing is far less apparent on it. It can't compare to the scanlines you see on a PVM though and and it's not quite as sharp so I was happy to make the upgrade. If you can get a good Trinitron it's unlikely you'll feel like you're missing out.

ive got a 24" trini and a 14" but i want a little pvm for my desk

12 minutes ago, MatOfTheDead said:

ive got a 24" trini and a 14" but i want a little pvm for my desk

You can typically get a 14inch for around £100 and a 9 inch for even less. Granted that's still a fair hunk of cash. I saw a 14 inch one crop up on gumtree for £40 the other day so bargains still exist.

Agreed to some extent that the PVM/BVM push is heavily skewed by the US. We are lucky in Europe to have benefitted from RGB inputs (while obviously this was balanced by PAL conversions etc). Also there are many other professional monitors by the likes of JVC and Ikegami which are also really top quality. 

I have a 20inch PVM as well as a 9inch version (and an Ikegami version that is also nice). I also have a Sony GDM-F520 which is frankly gorgeous. Then a Commodore monitor and a 14 inch Sony Trinitron which has a stunning picture for a consumer set.

And that is the thing - for ease of use (usually scart in and not needing scart to BNc adaptors or in some cases 75 ohm terminations or needing different cards for different inputs etc) and cost a good consumers CRT - e.g. one of the Sony Trinitron range - is more than good enough for most retro gamers. Obviously it might not have as many options for geometry tweaking or quite such a crystal clear output but overall for most gamers a good Trinitron or equivalent is more than good enough.

I have a couple of B&O MX4000 tv,s, one vert and one hori superb image on both once tweaked. 

Whats great about the MX is it’s just as happy sat on its side as on its base almost as though they know what they would be used for, I prefer these to the PVM I like the slightly softer image which is nice with sprites.

I am also no longer a fan of those huge 29 inch crt’s they used to drive me mad too, but these little 21 inch crt’s are much easier to get the geometry spot on.

I do have an OSSC but it never gets Plugged in , just seems a lot of faffing about and never looks quite right to me, where as a Neo Geo home system plugged in to the B&O takes me back to KT Konsols and the 90’s.

19 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

The little geometry wonkiness my CRT has is a small price to pay for hugely enjoying gaming more.

Absolutely. The geometry on my PVM is a little off, but not that bad... but it totally doesn't matter. 

After dialing it in pretty good, I'm just getting on with enjoying retro games looking and playing the way they should. 

I have this 28" Trinitron from 1997 or so I picked up a couple of years back now. This thing must have been the business back then, it has proper hi-fi sound with separate bass and treble speakers - it sounds amazing with great bass. But the screen has some serious convergence issues, colour splits especially near the bottom of the screen. I can access the service menu, and there are tons of options, but it's so esoteric I can't fathom what I need to tweak. Really hard to find a service manual as well. Does anyone know where I can get service info for old TVs or knows a good resource for sorting this sort of thing? If I can get this picture sorted I could probably not bother with trying to find a PVM when all this calms down. Was thinking seriously about picking a PVM up regardless of expense.

The broadcast quality crt stuff is amazing, but getting really hard to pick up now and I appreciate you can’t walk into curry’s to buy it. 

Some thing like a BVM14E5E or 20F1E has full geometry and convergence control via the OSD. You can tweak EVERY part of the screen for convergence and there are pages and pages of geometry options, without even having to go in side it. Real tweakers heaven.

Even top tier pvms, like the L4 require so little tweaking to get them almost spot on. I have had a few issues with a 20L2 which I had to put strips and magnets on, but still looked great before the work was done. The BVMs are in a whole different league though.

• 3 months later...

My Sony Trinitron 21"

Picked this up from the British heart foundation for £25 

Prices on crts have risen! When I bought this, people were still giving

them away...I just couldn't find one in my area.

By chance I looked in BHF, had a selection of around 25 crts including little

Sony and Toshiba beauties...I didn't see this until leaving the shop.

It was on a piece of furniture with a price tag on, adjacent to the other tv's.

Such luck :)

IMG_20200716_140013.jpg

I saw this vintage looking Trinitron at the dump the other week. I’d have grabbed it if it had a scart socket, and if I didn’t have at least two old TVs in the garage that I don’t use! Can’t seem to find any info about it online - searching the model number mostly returns results for replacement remote controls. I wondered if it might be an American model as we have an airbase nearby? Model number is KV2782AEB

9 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I saw this vintage looking Trinitron at the dump the other week. I’d have grabbed it if it had a scart socket, and if I didn’t have at least two old TVs in the garage that I don’t use! Can’t seem to find any info about it online - searching the model number mostly returns results for replacement remote controls. I wondered if it might be an American model as we have an airbase nearby? Model number is KV2782AEB

Airbase sounds like a good bet. Looks to be multi voltage and the PAL/NTSC cable ready logo probably indicates its a multisystem TV. I had a (none Sony) multisystem TV 20yrs ago and you could connect an NTSC RF device to it and it would work no problem. Shame you didn't grab it, but it was probably broke anyway!

• 2 months later...

I was performing a little experiment today. I have Zelda a link to the past on a few systems,

Switch online

Wii U Virtual console

Wii Virtual console

I can play the game on my Panasonic plasma, the Wii U gamepad, the Switch in hand held mode or on the Wii which is connected to a CRT. I find the game noticeably easier to play on the CRT, Link is easier to control and everything is just more fluid which I assume is the absence of input lag on the CRT?

It also looks a lot better on the CRT. I really need to do a little rearranging in my home and find a permanent corner for my CRT and older consoles. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

My Philips CM8833 monitor has stopped working. I’m getting sound but no picture over RGB Scart. Is there such a thing as a repair service?

If you join the UKVAC forums there are a few people around who can repair it. 

I’ve only ever used the scart socket. I’m not sure if I have any composite cables. Will have to have a rummage in the garage and see what I find. Possibly an old N64 out there!

The picture did come back on eventually (and go off again, briefly). I was thinking of giving the local TV repair man a ring. He’s an old boy, so I would imagine he’s been around since the CRT era! Maybe he could give it a service and check all the components inside. Will check out UKVAC if he can’t help. Cheers

47 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I’ve only ever used the scart socket. I’m not sure if I have any composite cables. Will have to have a rummage in the garage and see what I find. Possibly an old N64 out there!

The picture did come back on eventually (and go off again, briefly). I was thinking of giving the local TV repair man a ring. He’s an old boy, so I would imagine he’s been around since the CRT era! Maybe he could give it a service and check all the components inside. Will check out UKVAC if he can’t help. Cheers

Could be that the Scart socket connection inside the TV has come partly un soldered. If you move the Scart lead up & down and the picture displays briefly then chances are it’s an easy fix.

• 4 months later...
On 24/06/2019 at 22:57, watusi said:

So, I seem to have gone down the CRT rabbit hole. I need to get myself a decent start switcher, I was eyeing up this :

http://otaku-games.com/6-port-rgb-scart-switch-with-housing.html

but i wondered whether anyone had any recommendations? Switchers seem to vaery between dirt cheap and bonkers!!

I added that Otaku link to my favourites AGES ago, so that when* the games room was ready**, and I had the OSSC or retrotink or whatever scaler, I'd order one of these, and be ready to go.

Couple of things 1-2 week lead time

€65

or

£40 on AliExpress as I just spotted just now.

* lol!

** double lol!

10 hours ago, SeanR said:

I added that Otaku link to my favourites AGES ago, so that when* the games room was ready**, and I had the OSSC or retrotink or whatever scaler, I'd order one of these, and be ready to go.

Couple of things 1-2 week lead time

€65

or

£40 on AliExpress as I just spotted just now.

* lol!

** double lol!

I'll be interested to hear what the quality is like on that as I have maxed out my switch.

I bought a cheap SCART switch (again) for my plans. Was only a few Euros and is probably awful. I do like the idea of separate audio-out lines from the box.

I am looking for a decent CRT but it’s kind of tough now. Most are massive, and I would like a nice quality small one. Some are then targeted at “retro gamers” and thus are north of 100 euros for no reason (i.e. they’re not selling).

I’m in South West Germany, and am patiently waiting to be able to play my Saturn again. Having said that, the cable I bought for the Saturn off amazon doesn’t fit the Saturn. It’s clearly for something else. Nuts.

If you can find a Commodore (1084 or similar) or Philips (CM8833 or similar)  monitor with RGB inputs these make very nice displays for 240p content, if a bit small - these should be fairly easy to find in Germany. I have a SCART-9 pin RGB cable in mine and that is connected to a SCART switcher.