The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

I'm just sort of up for whatever they throw at me. I think at the very least we'll have an interesting failure on our hands and that's pretty exciting after years of the "main" blockbusters being films that you know you'll enjoy but that will all align with a certain mode and won't particularly challenge you. The fact that the sequels were hot toilet sort of adds to the appeal of a Matrix: Redemption arc. 

I do quite like what looks to be 

Spoiler

literal revisits of some of the same scenes from the original, which I assume will play out a bit differently this time.

Feels like there has been a lot of that idea in media lately - Final Fantasy 7, the Evangelion rebuild, half the MCU. I'm for it.

• Goose changed the title to The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

It really looks like they've 'Force Awakened' it in terms of hitting the nostalgia buttons, which is great. I want the thrills of the first film, and none of the cod-philosophy bollocks from the second and third which really dragged the sequels down.

I don't mean to sound like a grump but I wouldn't necessarily trust anything in those brief flashes to be in the final film, especially not for this film in particular, let alone how common it is these days anyway. 

Things like the mirror and stuff yeah probably but over analysing individual frames that are part of a very intentional bit of misdirection is possibly going to be futile.  "What is the matrix?" being used again compared to 99 when the Internet wasn't common usage for everybody as it is now makes me think that there's a very large chance we'll get a lot of build up and promotional stuff which may not be in the film, to avoid the spoilers and what not. 

Tbh, given they tried the whole enter the matrix game tie in, it wouldn't entirely surprise me if this tied into some other media also. I'm not sure about ARGs or whatever but quite possibly being directly linked to streaming, or even an alternative end option type thing using a streaming service...

I might be over thinking the realistic possibility of that but it isn't impossible I reckon. 

11 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why is the zoom into the green type so much worse than the 22 year old original?

Yeah I thought that too. The scrolling 'code' looks terrible as well.

5 hours ago, monkeydog said:

also, wtf is this about.  I'd imaging the trailer's going to be analysed to death.  Think I'll avoid any of that speculation.

image.thumb.png.aeae5f3e230fa10a891e1485d2a33a54.png

Probably not that much in it really, I mean you can look different in the Matrix can't you, so that's what's in the mirror.

11 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Probably not that much in it really, I mean you can look different in the Matrix can't you, so that's what's in the mirror.

Is it Neo in someone else's body or someone who thinks they're Neo?  There's a rabbit hole of speculation I refuse to go down!

And yet we're gonna follow the white rabbit anyway

We know the Agents could take over other people's bodies within the Matrix, we also know that by the third film Neo was more powerful than the Agents.

But that particular instance of the Matrix reached its end and im gonna presume this is another reset (as we know that's how the Matrix works), with the Resistance only thinking they defeated the Machines.

Sorry to bleat on about this but my Matrix rewatch continues (in small chunks, as I do the dishes each night, such is my free time) and there isn't a crappy line or shot in the entire film. Of course, I totally missed the trans nature until later, but I wonder what other nuance I'm missing. I assume this is why people don't like the sequels, (edit) - less clever story telling and more action (and, admittedly, unnecessary fighting scenes). 

I love how we can keep talking about it and derive more meaning. Reminds me of the open ended short stories on LeVar Burton's podcast.

54 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Sorry to bleat on about this but my Matrix rewatch continues (in small chunks, as I do the dishes each night, such is my free time) and there isn't a crappy line or shot in the entire film. Of course, I totally missed the trans nature until later, but I wonder what other nuance I'm missing. I assume this is why people don't like the sequels, clever story telling and more action (and, admittedly, unnecessary fighting scenes). 

I love how we can keep talking about it and derive more meaning. Reminds me of the open ended short stories on LeVar Burton's podcast.

There's quite a bit of stuff that I didn't get in initial viewing that does seem to be specifically in there to say to the "red pill" gang they're all idiots, hence the repetition of the matrix instances - that any of your performative protests and how "you've been red pilled" is all intentionally coordinated and 'allowed' by the powers that be that still keep you in oppression. 

Which is still very relevant at the moment. 

Not everyone can stomach his quite frankly unnecessarily fast delivery but moviebob did a good review of all the matrix movies where he covers it all (and suggests other material to read in regards to the trans side of things as he's a cis male).

It made me respect the sequels more, even if I don't think they're a patch on the original but if Warners are throwing money at you, it's at least quite brave to do a sequel saying "all of you leather clad wannabes are full of shit and you're being incredibly unrebellious buying all your edgey rebel clothes from hot topic".

That dude in the mirror I think will be the body plugged into the matrix that Neo’s mind/digital self/soul was downloaded too. He died, that body has been buried/dipoles of. So he will look like Neo in the matrix but that dude in the pod/in the real world if freed.

Maybe.

Systemic racism was a big theme of the films that isn’t as strongly appreciated now; I’ve always liked that line about people so helplessly dependent upon the system they’ll fight to protect it where the camera lingers on a cop, because it sets up a whole thematic context for every goon they fight in the rest of the film.

As for the sequels, I thought at the time that they were basically doing a big metatextual deconstruction that worked as art but wasn’t good entertainment, and that was very belatedly confirmed by an interview quote I read:

What we were trying to achieve with the story overall was a shift, the same kind of shift that happens for Neo, that Neo goes from being in this sort of cocooned and programmed world, to having to participate in the construction of meaning to his life. And we were like, ‘Well, can the audience go through the three movies and experience something similar to what the main character experiences?’

So the first movie is sort of classical in its approach, the second movie is deconstructionist and an assault on all the things you thought to be true in the first movie…and the third movie is the most ambiguous, because it asks you to actually participate in the construction of meaning.

They got to spend hundreds of millions of dollars doing a postmodernism with 6-foot miniatures and wirework gunfights which is hilarious. Hundreds of millions of dollars of my exact kind of trash is the gift Hollywood keeps giving.

I also just want to add, as I often do when it's brought up here, that I think Cloud Atlas is an underrated tour de force. A film full of beauty, earnest message and themes, audacious editing, and not so subtle characterization - in a good way.

The Matrix is a stone cold classic IMO. Even if I hadn't rewatched it plenty I could remember the basics of what happened in it.

The sequels are... not. Outside of the car chase I can't remember anything of what really happens in them and I don't want to. I absolutely do not want to have to watch them again before watching 4.

The best thing they could do imo is make another standalone film. Pretend the sequels never happened. Hell if you really want to spend 30 seconds insert some throwaway line that chops off that timeline altogether so the lines to 2 and 3 are severed but tbh I wouldn't even bother.