The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

45 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

I thought Jupiter Ascending was a bunch of silly-camp-fun and enjoyed it immensely.

Yeah I did only say pish instead of anything harsher as Eddie redmayne is seemingly in a different film to everyone else and rabbit thing with rocket boots channing tatum is novelty but it isn't exactly a very good film.

Definitely silly camp fun though, yeah.

I seem to remember mila kunis almost being insultingly useless and having a scene like in Bogus Journey where she's falling for aaaaages and screaming a lot? That might be a misremembering...

7 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

I'm surprised Redmayne wasn't asked to return his Oscar, that's how much he stank Jupiter Ascending up.

I'd give him the Oscar for that and not for the borefest he got it for.

The sequels have somehow aged far faster than the originals - the CGI is really, really rough, particularly in the 'burly brawl' section. They were reaching for something you'd struggle to do today, but they were doing it 15 years ago.

The first was my favourite, but I absolutely loved Reloaded. Maybe it was due to it coming out smack bang in the middle of my teens, but it was fantastic. I still love it these days, even with the crappy Neo CGI and foam weapons used in the Smiths brawl. 

Revolutions was alright I guess. I enjoyed it back in the day but not fussed about it these days. 

I never understood why they did the 'bowling pins being knocked over' sound effect during that fight too, it's really odd and out of place compared to everything else in the whole trilogy. 

I mean that whole fight just seems a bit like "we need a fight here" but for some reason I do find all the agent Smith's just looking about and then walking off after he flies away quite funny. 

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The sequels have somehow aged far faster than the originals - the CGI is really, really rough, particularly in the 'burly brawl' section. They were reaching for something you'd struggle to do today, but they were doing it 15 years ago.

In fairness, the Burly Brawl looked shit in the cinema at the time.

Early 2000s CGI was definitely at the point where it was good enough to get out of the way most of the time, I'd wager there's a lot more CGI in those films that is stuff like background replacement that you wouldn't even notice.

It could do digital characters very well (Gollum, Davy Jones) as long as they were stylised a bit. Digital doubles of actual people were still a bit of a weak spot.

49 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I never understood why they did the 'bowling pins being knocked over' sound effect during that fight too, it's really odd and out of place compared to everything else in the whole trilogy. 

The ending musical sting is bizarre as well.

DUM-DUM-DUUUUUUUM!

I watched the sequels again recently and I enjoyed them a lot more than I did at release. I like the concepts that they were reaching for, even though they present them in a really messy way. And they're infinitely more engaging and interesting than the generic sci-fi/fantasy action films of the last 10+ years.

I hope they try loads more mad incomprehensibly convoluted shit in this new one.

I think the Watchowskis wrote some sequences without a really strong sense of whether or how they’d be filmable. (The movie’s version of Bullet Time filming was invented to get the shot the script requested, so there’s history there.) The Burly Brawl was already pushing its luck with the amount of digital face replacement involved, and the virtual camera stuff at the end was obviously a step too far, but in the circulating script that scene went on with Neo flying away trailing dangling  Smiths before crashing in to a building and finally having the “get out of there” moment. I wonder how far they got planning that before they realised it was unachievable.

They're much better than you remember, definitely. There's so many truly bad, pointless sections of the second one, but they're peppered between some really nice stuff too so it does keep you hanging on. It's a massive shame the long boring talking bits were so horribly obfuscated as they're really the only parts that move the story on. From a production point of view there were just so many plates spinning I'm not sure anyone could have pulled the sequels off, it just seemed like an impossible task.

13 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

They're much better than you remember, definitely. There's so many truly bad, pointless sections of the second one, but they're peppered between some really nice stuff too so it does keep you hanging on. It's a massive shame the long boring talking bits were so horribly obfuscated as they're really the only parts that move the story on. From a production point of view there were just so many plates spinning I'm not sure anyone could have pulled the sequels off, it just seemed like an impossible task.

To butcher your own analogy, I think part of the problem was that they introduced too many plates themselves. 

It's been a while since I've seen them (but within the last 10 years, not just since release) but I can't remember now how that whole thing with Smith being on the nebuchadnezzar made any sense at all really?

Just rogue program something?

I might watch them again this evening. Especially because it's apparently impossible to see raging fire in the UK when I want to watch some good new proper HK action movies.

10 minutes ago, b00dles said:

It's been a while since I've seen them (but within the last 10 years, not just since release) but I can't remember now how that whole thing with Smith being on the nebuchadnezzar made any sense at all really?

Just rogue program something?

He was a guy jacked in to The Matrix, and as he was leaving through a phone line, Smith ‘infected’ him, and then took over his body in the real world. It was super-weird and never really made any sense.

One of the worst thing about Reloaded was the opening montage thing - just a collection of random action scene snippets that meant nothing because they had no context. Everyone was just sat there in the cinema like: ‘wtf’. Then later on when those sequences occur, they cut out the bits you saw at the start of the film so yet again you had little context and you felt nothing.

Am I the only one who has always thought that Reloaded's Burly Brawl mostly looks fine?

I would never say it looked realistic, or as impactful and weighty as the fights that are done for real from start to finish, but it's stylised in a consistent way. The same goes for the opening scene with Trinity falling. [How did that Youtube account get hold of an open matte version of that scene?]

My general attitude towards movie VFX is that if I like the ideas behind a bit of action enough, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief in order to enjoy it, whatever shortcomings the CG might have. In this case, I always cared more about the ideas behind the fighting actions being shown, and the escalating pace and intensity of the fight and the music, rather than picking holes in how convincing any individual moment looked.

The only bits that I ever thought fell short enough to distract me were the bits when Neo flies into the air. Like when he spins round with the pipe at 1:25 - and even then, my issue was with the coat texture and motion, rather than the faces. But the more grounded remainder of that shot, which lasts up to 1:55, always looked good to me, despite all the swooping virtual camera involved.

The only other bit of the scene where the weightlessness bothered me was at 2:50 where he hops across the Smiths' shoulders.

Also, everyone always complains about the bowling pin sound effect at 3:22, but no one ever mentions the domino sound effect at 2:46. :(

16 minutes ago, PK said:

The concept of an AI overwriting the consciousness of a human isn't a particularly unusual one in sci-fi is it?

No it's a fine idea, I just couldn't quite remember how it happened or if it made much sense. Did he do something at the 'pod' level? Because that would have worked but I'm sure he did it in the matrix didn't he? Did the real human die off screen? Also it was revealed as though it was a character we knew or cared about. It should have been Joe pantoliano maybe...

Sorry, this is a silly way or conversing as I can't really remember but I do remember it not making much sense whenever I watched it :P

18 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Also, everyone always complains about the bowling pin sound effect at 3:22, but no one ever mentions the domino sound effect at 2:46. :(

Weird, I don't think I ever noticed that was even a domino nose until then. 

Yeah, don't like it either :D

1 minute ago, b00dles said:

No it's a fine idea, I just couldn't quite remember how it happened or if it made much sense. Did he do something at the 'pod' level? Because that would have worked but I'm sure he did it in the matrix didn't he? Did the real human die off screen? Also it was revealed as though it was a character we knew or cared about. It should have been Joe pantoliano maybe...

Sorry, this is a silly way or conversing as I can't really remember but I do remember it not making much sense whenever I watched it :P

Sorry I edited my post because it sounded really snarky phrasing it as a question!

He karate chops his way into the guy's consciousness:

2 minutes ago, PK said:

Sorry I edited my post because it sounded really snarky phrasing it as a question!

Well that all makes total sense then so it's alright ;)

It's definitely a good "Oh noes!" twist in regards to smith being in the real world but that could have done with a little bit more to make it seem even more deus ex machina than, well, the whole trilogy is, in a very literal sense :omg:

It’s just kind of part of the premise of the movie and they’re introducing it with that demonstration rather than, as with the rest of the movie, a bunch of chat. He’s also the first guy you see Smith overwrite so it’s ticking off a lot of set-up at once. I guess how smoothly it lands depends on how much you internalised the whole separation of mind and body thing from the first film but I’d much rather there was more of that than less.

Another “I read the screenplay PDF” thing: Smith didn’t plan to use the “exit telephone”. It rang, he decided to give it a shot and see what happened. It reads like that way a bit on screen but it’s not entirely obvious.

I recall watching The Matrix on a VHS rental with my dad and school mates - we knew nothing about it, stuck it on and we were HOOKED. It's the only time in my life I can remember my dad coming in at the right time, asking what we're watching (had just started) and he stayed for the whole thing. We LOVED that film. Every twist and turn was a surprise. Great, great memory.

Cut to watching Matrix Reloaded with him on DVD and the utter, utter disappointment we both felt :( it actually gets me a bit emotional just thinking about it.

My dad fell asleep about 40 minutes in and I soldiered on through to the end and just... I dunno, it really gets me down how rubbish that second one was. The third I caught once and looking back I needn't have bothered.

Would be nice if this was somehow good but it's got no real right to be imo.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

He was a guy jacked in to The Matrix, and as he was leaving through a phone line, Smith ‘infected’ him, and then took over his body in the real world. It was super-weird and never really made any sense.

One of the worst thing about Reloaded was the opening montage thing - just a collection of random action scene snippets that meant nothing because they had no context. Everyone was just sat there in the cinema like: ‘wtf’. Then later on when those sequences occur, they cut out the bits you saw at the start of the film so yet again you had little context and you felt nothing.

Weren't all those bits in a video game? And they sort of assumed you knew who the new characters were because you'd supposedly played the game. Daft

46 minutes ago, PK said:

Wouldn’t the operator know that his dude had been copied by a Smith and therefore not make that call?