IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

The fact they're doing all this ridiculous marketing stuff (which doesn't include PC's :angry:) with ground breaking tech, makes me so excited, like how they invented bullet time. It's easy to forget, they created an industry around brand new concepts, which are every day films effects nowdays. Then, to top it off, the matrix 1 scenes you know, were all CGI. The Rooftop, the train station all CGI scenery...1999!!

I mean, they certainly popularised the spinny camera and slow mo bullet sequences. But it had appeared in other forms, Blade for example, or Lost In Space (a year before) - 1:20 in.

Also, while CGI is deployed a majority of the sequences aren't really traditional CGI including fully digital sets. Even the helicopter was real. And, yes, a lot of the background on many shots was painted. 

Matrix is an important film and should be celebrated but I think its success mainly comes from the ideas and direction rather than just being a special effects vehicle. 

44 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

I mean, they certainly popularised the spinny camera and slow mo bullet sequences. But it had appeared in other forms, Blade for example, or Lost In Space (a year before) - 1:20 in.

Lost In Space did do the time slice effect before The Matrix (although just the "completely frozen" version, not the "slow mo action, normal speed camera movement" version). But Blade didn't! :quote:

Blade does have a shot showing someone dodging a slow motion bullet, so it was part of the action movie zeitgeist that was in the air at the time. But that shot (at 3:14) features no camera movement at all, so it doesn't have much to do with what was impressive about The Matrix's bullet time effect:

Die Another Day's gun barrel also features a slow motion CG bullet, which was almost certainly an attempt to cash in on The Matrix's popularity. But no one would argue that it's an example of the bullet time effect!

Today, for me the most impressive thing is that the effect no longer requires shooting on dedicated green-screen stages with months of VFX post-production. Now, it can turn up within seconds in the middle of instant replays at sports events (this year's Olympics showed it off a lot).

1 hour ago, cavalcade said:

Also, while CGI is deployed a majority of the sequences aren't really traditional CGI including fully digital sets. Even the helicopter was real. And, yes, a lot of the background on many shots was painted. 

Matrix is an important film and should be celebrated but I think its success mainly comes from the ideas and direction rather than just being a special effects vehicle. 

That shot blew my mind in Lost in Space, and, though I love the Matrix, it annoyed me to hear people say it invented bullet time. There was something even older on a recent Corridor Crew video that used the technique but I can't remember what it was.

They've been very up-front that they didn't invent time slice photography, which was already pretty played out as a gimmick shot for adverts. "Bullet Time" was a camera move described in the screenplay that nobody knew how to do, including the directors, and ultimately Gaeta came up with a way to deliver that using mix of techniques like time slice he was already using, or had seen, which was good enough to land them (Douglas Trumbull's company I think?) the job. It was influential because these virtual camera moves were suddenly both clearly possible and "must-have", not because any specific technical element had never been seen before. It was influential because of the end result.

Incidentally the Resurrections trailer includes a background nod to the ad company whose work introduced Gaeta to "time slice".

49 minutes ago, Chosty said:

Yeah, it was the Michel Gondry-directed Smirnoff ad from a few years earlier.

In some sort of degrees of separation way, the VFX for that ad were done by BUF Compagnie, who didn't do the bullet time in The Matrix, but did do various shots across the films.  They were name checked in the first trailer, which I think I mentioned at the time, knowing it'd be of interest to not many people, possibly zero.

(They also did the flea in City of Lost Children, which is one of my favourite VFX sequences ever)

image.png.70e2ba585cc385045a1c0298cf8496cf.png

1 hour ago, Chosty said:

Yeah, it was the Michel Gondry-directed Smirnoff ad from a few years earlier.

That’s the one. I’m sure it had different music though, or am I going mad?

Edit: Yes, I remember this version…

22 minutes ago, JPL said:

Oh, yes, that's the right version - I pasted that other one my mistake.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Is that Mark Williams sticking his head out of the kitchen at the end?

It does look like him, but the crappy compression makes it hard to be sure.

18 hours ago, Nick R said:

Wasn't there a video some time before MGS5, where Hideo Kojima was talking about the Fox Engine, and people were speculating that Kojima's likeness had been recreated in CG in order to show off the engine?

It wasn't Kojima, it was a fake developer called Joakim Mogren, whose face was covered in bandages. I think people on Reddit were convinced that Mogren was CGI, and that this was a demo of the next-level real-time photorealistic CGI that we'd see in the new MGS game.

9 hours ago, JPL said:

That is ace. Totally remember that version. What a brilliant ad. Perfect visuals married to perfect soundtrack.

On 10/12/2021 at 17:05, Doctor Shark said:

Everyone raving about it but it looks fake as anything. As soon as Keanu and Carrie Ann start walking like one of those robots. 

Yeah, I mean, fancy that...:doh:

It's a £500 console, producing almost movie quality graphics. Or at least, a CW episode of the Flash.

In. Real. Time.

On a £500 console.