IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

Spoiler

I wish that trinity turned heel and rejected neo during the cafe scene, for neo being the reason she is imprisoned again (or she’s been reprogrammed). It would be a more interesting story than love trumps all. I thought that was what they were foreshadowing with the “it doesn’t end well”

it would also lend itself better to the inevitable trilogy:

1 (awakening/denial)  

2 (rescue/realisation)

3 (revenge/agency) 

Yeah, fucking loved it!

Apart from maybe

Spoiler

the friendly manta. 

Was nervous and worried it would be shit, but very pleasantly surprised.

I have ALL the McFarlane figures 

Spoiler

that was in Thomas's office. 8-)

The plot was engineered perfectly to be a believable continuation, well chuffed.

Loved the way Morpheus was brought into it.

Call trans opt: received. 12-22-21.

I enjoyed that so much. :wub:

When it comes to belated sequels: I think the jump in how satisfying I found Resurrections compared to Revolutions might be greater than the improvement from Rocky V to Rocky Balboa, or from Episode III to The Force Awakens? Certainly it helped clear away a lot of the residual disappointment that I felt when I saw Revolutions eighteen years ago.

Criticisms out of the way first:

Spoiler

The action isn't as good as the that of the original or Reloaded - or as the John Wick films, for that matter. Despite the increased scale of things like the swarm attack, the action felt generally less grand.

Among the new real world human characters, there's no one as distinctive as Tank, Mouse or Link - let alone Cypher.

Really felt Don Davis's absence. The score never really stood out to me (and seemed to be mixed a bit low). There's nothing as powerful as some of the music cues in the trilogy.

And, yeah it must be said: no Weaving or Fishburne. :( Fishburne's absence was of course justified by the story's time jump (and in lore, Matrix Online fans!), but I was really hoping for just a brief cameo from Weaving - it seemed like it was about to happen when Smith changed form when he left the Simulatte.

What I loved:

Spoiler

The story! All the Adaptation/22 Jump Street metafictional stuff at the start was great fun, but it led to a really sweet love story. Awww! :wub: And the pod heist scheme was fun too.

The ultra slow-mo version of bullet-time. Nothing new as an effect, but it worked really well to sell Neo's helplessness in this version of the Matrix - and then later, Trinity's power over it.

I know that fan-indulging nostalgia is something that the film is criticising, but Neo listening to a remixed version of Spybreak!, and the maquette of the Smith Superpunch in the background, were two examples of the numerous little details that made me grin.

Just finished watching it. 

There's a lot I want to say but will leave it in the rate the film thread. 

It's absolutely abysmal. 

***Edit, from the rate the film thread:

The Matrix Resurrections -1.5/5

Where to start. 

I'm a big Matrix fan. Even though Reloaded and Revolutions are not good, there are good moments in them. 

This on the other hand...

I struggled to make it through the absolutely atrocious first 45 mins. I can't say much die to spoilers but the on the nose wankery and pat on the back "oh I'm so meta and cool" actually made me cringe. 

After all that crap and genuinely stupid moments that made no sense whatsoever I thought things were picking up. It felt like it may that actually be a matrix movie. Alas, I was wrong. Every single action scene was poor. 

The fight choreography and cinematography (ye know, a thing the series is known for. Even in the dodgy sequels) is non existant. The shaky cam mixed with really tight shots were just bad. Really bad. 

There was genuinely a good idea in here. Fuck, I was making and writing a better film in my head as I watched. Everything that made the first film great, including a simple story, is left to one side and the total nonsense, bad exposition and bloat that made the sequels bad is here but amped up to 10. 

Spoiler

I was envious of the swarm jumping out the windows. Felt like a metaphor...

Complete train wreck, didn't enjoy pretty much any minute of the far too long runtime but watched till the end which is something I guess. So many bad choices, terrible action scenes (what's the point in all the automatic weapons if nobody can be hit?) and uninteresting dialogue to be any good.

I can see it being pretty marmite though and some people would love it

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

The 4k picture quality was absolutely incredible though. I think the best I've seen so far from a film. I'm really jealous of the OLED gang for this one. They're in for a treat.

I thought the 4k Dolby Vision Plus version was horrible on my OLED. I missed the film grain and moody lighting of the original. Perhaps its just me though....

5 minutes ago, Weavus said:

I thought the 4k Dolby Vision Plus version was horrible on my OLED. I missed the film grain and moody lighting of the original. Perhaps its just me though....

I can see what you mean. Probably why it looked so crisp to me. You could see trinitys chin hair! 

The Matrix Resurrections.😔..oh dear...oh dear oh dear...im not sure what made it worse, the utterly needlessness of it, the absolute "b"grade cast, or the atrocious choice to use a cover of rage against the machine at the end!?! As a fan, this was utter dross.

I thought it was resoundingly average. I think I’ll end up the opposite of the public consensus in that I really liked the first 45 minutes and was really invested and interested in where it might go. I’ve been playing Daniel Mullins’ games lately (Pony Island, The Hex, Inscryption) and I was kinda hoping it would go hog wild with its concepts after opening third. Instead it settles into a rote blockbuster, retreading beats from its predecessors only with much more poorly staged action sequences. The cuts to the original film don’t help as it really shows up how flat and I cinematic this one looks in comparison.

God, what a train wreck.

It looked awful, cheap digital looking footage with some really dodgy framerate issues where they’d sped up or slowed down footage and used motion interpolation perhaps. Kept thinking my OLED had become unconfigured somehow. 

The action was entirely terrible, not a good action/fight shot or sequence in the whole thing. There was precisely one good idea (involving gravity and windows) which lasted about 6 seconds. The editing was really half baked, with the wind constantly being knocked out of it by cutting at the strangest times.

The story was pointless, didn’t add anything to the mythology at all. Sad to see David Mitchell (the novelist) involved, as I really like some of his work. 

Keanu was weird, more Bill & Ted than Neo. Nobody was any good except Jonathan Groff who simply didn’t need to be in it, absolutely no impact on the plot at all.

The social commentary such as it was felt incredibly cringeworthy. Like an old gen-Xers idea of internet satire. The first 45 mins or so were excruciating, and then it simply became boring. 

The limp RATM cover at the end, a wimpy and flat shadow of the original, felt like the film was kicking itself while it was down. 

I guess I kind-of enjoyed watching it in a “holy shit how did this get made” sort of way, but I wouldn’t recommend it. 

None of the plot or characters or events seemed to have a point. The only characters that resonated with me - that seemed to be feeling what I was - during the whole thing were

Spoiler

the people throwing themselves out of windows.

I thought the first 45 were the most interesting part, after that it kind of falls off a cliff. There was some decentish Matrixy moments throughout the rest but nothing as memorable or revolutionary as anything seen within the first or second films. Also, as with the second and third, the stuff outside the Matrix just fell flat for me.

Spoiler

What was up with the sentinel pet pals? 😐

Most of the supporting characters were terrible, I found the new crew completely forgettable and interchangeable. It also looks pretty terrible in places, with CGI straight out of a computer game cut scene, especially anything involving sentinels or

Spoiler

robo Morphius (who also seemed completely sidelined throughout most of it)

So yeah, this is really meh, adds nothing to the overall story and feels ultimately pointless. 

I did like the slow moving bullet scene though, that was pretty neat, as was Jonathan Groff, but his character added fuck all to the plot, if take him out and the film is no different.

And finished.

I never, ever want to watch this film again and I will try my level best to forget it ever exists given how much I adore the first film and appreciate at the very least how good the action is in the sequels even if they falter in their execution.

I'm in genuine absolute shock at how bad it is. A true trainwreck. 

3 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Genuinely can’t comprehend anyone who has legitimately watched this thinking it was bad. 

This tops Independence Day 2 for me as being one of the worst sequels I've ever seen. I'm genuinely astonished at how bad it is. I get the commentary and points it's trying to make but the execution is so poor and amateurish it beggars belief. 

A Matrix film with no action, cinematography that makes it look like a cheap Netflix show from 5 years ago, terrible performances from the majority of the new cast. I'm embarrassed for everyone involved. The film is DOA.

8 minutes ago, Spartan said:

This tops Independence Day 2 for me as being one of the worst sequels I've ever seen. I'm genuinely astonished at how bad it is. I get the commentary and points it's trying to make but the execution is so poor and amateurish it beggars belief. 

A Matrix film with no action, cinematography that makes it look like a cheap Netflix show from 5 years ago, terrible performances from the majority of the new cast. I'm embarrassed for everyone involved. The film is DOA.

Yeah, it's actually staggering, isn't it? 

That rage against the machine cover is everything that The Matrix Resurrections is.

I thought it started off really strongly and then at the hour mark it completely dived into a strong message about feminism, gender and wokeness. I’m all fine for films having a message and making people think but it was really hitting it hard. Think I suffered from blunt force trauma.

The worst part about it is the action and cinematography, all the previous films were very stylish and pushed the action to new places. You could see how expressive it was. I don’t know how they messed that up so bad, shame they didn’t get Yuen Woo-Ping (I’m guessing he’s retired) or someone of his calibur.

The soundtrack was terrible. 

Yeah this was horrendous.

I’ve always said that the first hour of the first matrix is sort of cool and interesting, the messing around with reality stuff. As soon as the series started to focus on Zion or whatever with the machines and tube/cable stuff it just falls apart.