IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

11 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Really want to see this now due to how bad the reviews are.

It's a matrix movie where they say the word bullettime... But... There is no bullet time!!

It's not even so bad its good, like say gods of eygpt, which is fun trash, it's just trash... Sadly...

It didn't add ANTYHING to the world of the Matrix. At. all. To top it off, there was literally no decent action. 

I didn't think it was terrible like some in here though, and I think it's not judged against any normal sci fi, It's judged against the originals, and the massive hype train leading up to it, so perhaps it's getting harsher criticism than it should. But even as a standalone, it's very average.

10 hours ago, Moz said:

It looked awful, cheap digital looking footage with some really dodgy framerate issues where they’d sped up or slowed down footage and used motion interpolation perhaps.

I hate this.

I know Visionary Director™  Zack Snyder gets a lot of shit for all the slow-mo he uses (and rightly so), but at least that’s filmed properly, with a higher framerate and then slowed down. When it’s slowed down in post production like this it looks shit.

Just to add to everything that was said above:

• I just didn't care about any of the supporting characters.
  • Any subtlety or hidden meanings in the originals is gone. The social commentary was so on the nose and in your face:
Spoiler

The sheeple want to be controlled.

The masses don't want painted rainbows in the sky.

Awakening has to be her choice, she can't be pushed into it, the decision could kill her.

We must exploit the people to get what we need out of them.

You shouldn't call me by my old name. Etc

• On top of that the (what little we had) action didn't really feel like something that was from a Matrix film. It felt messy and noisy, rather than the perfect choreographed over the top stuff from the old. 
  • What happened to the awesome dark cyber goth fashions etc? There didn't seem to be a consistent style with people in this one as previous. 
  • Some of the CGI was shite. 
  • The originals loved their long talking, world building, theory exploring dialogues. They always felt well paced and satisfying. The same idea was here too, but they just felt like they had little point to them.

Solid 3 / 10 from me. I think quality of the films best to worst has matched the releases. 1 > 2 > 3 > 4

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

I didn't think it was terrible like some in here though, and I think it's not judged against any normal sci fi, It's judged against the originals

If it's being judged against the originals, and particularly the third film, then that seems like the very lowest of bars to me, and frankly it's astonishing if they've managed to limbo underneath it.

I'll watch it when I'm back at home after Christmas but I'm glad that I skipped a cinema trip for it. I'll give it a fair crack but skimming through what people didn't like about it, it feels unlikely that I'll be in the positive minority. Like many, I imagine, I assumed from the off that this would inevitably be a disaster but then when that trailer played before Dune and managed to both intrigue and really capture the feel of the original, I was drawn in. Oh well, in the worst case, I already pretend two sequels don't exist, I can always add a third to the list.

Looks like views on this film in here isn't Marmite, it's pineapple on pizza whereas the people who enjoyed it are in the tiny majority.

Spoiler

I loved spotting various crew from the first films playing cameos. One big stand out was Keanu's original stunt double (presently doing well directing John Wick films), Chad Stahelski, as Tiffany's husband. Also the creator of The Matrix bullet time effect, John Gaeta. Plus many more.

I think the sequels will maybe please more folk as now Neo & Trinity now have their super hero looks and powers and we'll see more of the signature action and the exposition of how we got here is now out of the way.

A little gutted for those that didn't enjoy it as it must be horrible being a fan and excited about the new film only for it to not meet expectations.

Edited by Pug
Hiding spoilers

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Me reading this thread's reactions to this film:

nGsxKzR.jpg.d88a35e298705f16f46559612b096feb.jpg

I'm finding it fascinating to see how divisive it is. Letterboxd loves it; r/movies and this place hate it.

Yeah, that's reflected in the reviews as well. Certainly makes it sound way more interesting than your average Hollywood flick. I saw that Patrick Willems loved it, Rab Florence thought it was the best Matrix movie and I found David Ehrlich's Indiewire review particularly fascinating.

Won't be seeing it anytime soon though as we're back in a lockdown in the Netherlands. :(

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

That’s a great review. Matrix is on HBO Max if you can’t make it to the cinema. 

Yeah, but we don't have that over here (yet). :)
I could use a VPN I guess. I do prefer to watch it in the cinema, so I think I'll wait. Hoping this lockdown won't last too long.

Spoiler

The main programs (architect/oracle) and Agents etc didn’t really have much of a personality, they felt systematic by design and in their performance. But for some reason The Analyst has a woman hating personality. Thought that was really odd and weird, felt it was just in there to push a message of some kind. It also came out of nowhere.

Not sure if i missed something there.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, that's reflected in the reviews as well. Certainly makes it sound way more interesting than your average Hollywood flick. I saw that Patrick Willems loved it, Rab Florence thought it was the best Matrix movie and I found David Ehrlich's Indiewire review particularly fascinating.

That review is working hard, but I wish it was the movie it described rather than the actual film, which is rubbish.

I enjoyed it :lol:

The action was worse than the originals, and I felt the last half hour or so sagged like they weren’t really sure where it was going, but I enjoyed the rest of it. It was nice being back in the world and seeing how it had changed and what had happened after Revolutions. I like all three of the originals a lot though, so I wonder if I’ve got more affection for the aspects that this follows up on than most people will have. 

It’s a damn shame that the sound and action aren’t as good as they were before (maybe that stuff is the other sister’s speciality?), but I liked a few of the new characters. It’s not perfect but I had fun watching it. 

7 minutes ago, Festoon said:

That review is working hard, but I wish it was the movie it described rather than the actual film, which is rubbish.

Well, it's the movie he saw.
It's funny how my Twitter feed is basically the opposite of this thread, so I'm pretty curious now.
Saw this one pop-up for example:

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

I saw that Patrick Willems loved it, Rab Florence thought it was the best Matrix movie and I found David Ehrlich's Indiewire review particularly fascinating.

These guys are smoking some seriously good crack. The "best" Matrix movie..come the fuck on. Also David "I go against the grain every time with popular movies so people click on my articles" Enrlich can do one. 

7 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Apparently there was a mid credits scene which I didn’t see, I left as soon as the credits started rolling. 

MCU have a lot to answer for by making this the norm in films.

Spoiler

The Catrix? like, the matrix, but cats. Or something? Dunno. Didn't make it that far.

37 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Well, it's the movie he saw.
It's funny how my Twitter feed is basically the opposite of this thread, so I'm pretty curious now.
Saw this one pop-up for example:

For me it seemed like the point of the film was 

Spoiler

Not everything is binary. 1s & 0s. Things are fluid. People are fluid. Acceptance of people for who they are. Acceptance of peoples autonomy over their own bodies. Trans Rights, Womans Rights, the struggle that some of these minorities see on a daily basis etc.

The issue I had was

Spoiler

It was just so in your face so often. Scenes were written in a way just so lines like "don't call me by that name" or references to rainbows and "awakening being her choice" & multiple others could be put in. There's references to the sheeple just blindly following and wanting this control, not ready for this society change.