IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

I understand all this, but it's still a terrible film.

It could have made these points, but been good. The nostalgia point, for example, was made in Watchmen by Alan Moore, but, y'know, subtly. And as part of a good narrative.

Fair enough. Maybe years of mediocre, hollow action movies has adjusted my frame of reference so Resurrections feels like something exciting and different, and repeat viewings will leave me disappointed.

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

I understand all this, but it's still a terrible film.

It could have made these points, but been good. The nostalgia point, for example, was made in Watchmen by Alan Moore, but, y'know, subtly. And as part of a good narrative.

Yes, exactly this. The problem isn’t the ideas, it’s the execution is so poor.

9 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Fair enough. Maybe years of mediocre, hollow action movies has adjusted my frame of reference so Resurrections feels like something exciting and different, and repeat viewings will leave me disappointed.

If you compare this movie to really awful ones it’s not quite so bad in comparison is a really ringing endorsement.

Completely agree on these points. It's not enough to say - within and without the movie - that it's being cleverly meta, or that it's reframing the originals in terms of identity, or making a statement about the saturation of disposable pop culture. All of this is fine, and I'm on board with it, but addressing these issues doesn't grant a free pass. The film is not good. I really wanted to like it, and found myself willing it to suddenly turn a corner, to drop the other shoe and reveal itself, but that moment never came.

Watched it last night with the missus who is a huge Keanu and (original) Matrix fan.

She despised it and said it was the worst of the 4.

I thought the first act or so was interesting but also embarrassing with how on the nose it was. The rest was just tedious action.

The best bits were Doogie Howser and noticing how much Keanu must be a Just For Men man.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

If you compare this movie to really awful ones it’s not quite so bad in comparison is a really ringing endorsement.

I mean, standards in action movies have dropped so much that after watching, say, Black Widow the other day, this seems like The Godfather Pt. 2.

Read a lot of reviews and commentary on this now, especially on Letterboxd and reddit. Basically everyone that loves it seems to do so because they see it as a ‘fuck you’ to the studios, or Lana getting her way, or the ‘super clever’ message about the vacuousness of hollywood, etc. But I haven’t seen anyone who loves it really talk about the construction of any aspect of the film at all. More that it’s just an audacious masterpiece in terms of its message. Do you get it, the game he was making was called BINARY. Guys, guys?

The problem is, as we’ve said, it’s just a mediocre movie and that has to be the most important thing to consider first.

As we’ve said, it’s more of a shame because I think the casting is generally great, Keanu and Carrie are good, NPH is good and I’m a big Groff fan. But it was just all kinda wasted :(

45 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I've even seen people try and argue that the action scenes are deliberately bad.

I've seen that suggested too. The absence of Yuen Woo-ping and his team (except Tiger Chen and possibly some of the others?) must surely also have contributed. (Though that's no excuse as they're not the only people in the world who can choreograph/action direct a good fight scene.)

But I think that the decreased reliance on storyboards also sounds like a big reason the action scenes were so much messier than before:

https://ew.com/movies/jonathan-groff-the-matrix-resurrections/

"Lana's style of filmmaking has changed with mirroring her transition," Groff says. (Lana came out as a trans woman and completed her transition after 2008's Speed Racer. Lilly also came out as trans in March 2016.) "She was explaining to us how, in her earlier work, she would storyboard things like they were comic books almost, and create exact frames of what she wanted as her way of literally controlling her narrative, because there was so much out of control inside of her. Then when she embraced her identity, this articulated itself in her work and opened her up to the idea of capturing the things that can't be controlled."

34 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I've seen that suggested too. The absence of Yuen Woo-ping and his team (except Tiger Chen and possibly some of the others?) must surely also have contributed. (Though that's no excuse as they're not the only people in the world who can choreograph/action direct a good fight scene.)

But I think that the decreased reliance on storyboards also sounds like a big reason the action scenes were so much messier than before:

Indeed, the director of John Wick has a pretty big cameo- maybe he could’ve given some tips? 😂

I thought this was ok. Nowhere near as bad as some in this thread have made it out to be. The original film was a classic and it's been downhill ever since. The sequels and 'reboot' are significantly flawed but they are at least watchable to some extent. This new film had a bloated runtime. It could have been made a bit leaner and would have been better for it. Nonetheless it's certainly far from perfect but 2 & 3 were no different. 

To me it felt like it was very cheap. I know it wasn't of course but it did feel cheap. The sets looked like sets for example. Some of the CG was nice while other bits were pretty bad.

The music was also bad, not because it was badly made but because it simply wasn;t the kind of music that the first three had and that drive that it gave the film.

It fely lackluster, like verything was half arsed. I thought it could have been a victim of covif but seeing as they had a ton of extras I don't think it was this.

The irony is that the actual story isn't too bad, certainly a bit better than the sequels were. But it all feels slapped together,

It felt like the episode of a TV show and not a big blockbuster.

It just felt so limp. I've read that perhaps Lana didn't really want to make it, hinted at in the WB meta reference too, probably. If that's the case you can certainly feel any lack of passion for the whole thing in the final product.

I know parts 2 and 3 get a bit of stick, I quite like them tbh, but at least they had a ton of passion put on screen. This just feels like a vein of meh runs through all aspects of the production.

Should have let it lie.

14 minutes ago, Harsin said:

If you want a sequel that the original director never wanted to make, but the studio gave them carte blanche, and they used this rare opportunity to subvert the entire concept of unneeded retread sequels, satirises capitalism and media consumer culture and gave a giant middle finger to the studio and also made something that's also an incredibly entertaining film in its own right; then you could do a lot worse than watch the one in my avatar.

EXACTLY! AND it's funny and good into the bargain.

The backlash backlash has started on Twitter. The "it's good actually, you MCU-lovers just don't get it because you're sheeple".

As if one art student in every first year class doesn't do the "here's a blank page - that what I think of the commerical art world" trick.

19 hours ago, Nick R said:

Or she just couldn't be arsed and wanted the easy pay day?