IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Not often you watch a film and think 'I avoided watching the trailers for months for that??' I missed out on on all the possible forced excitement, although watching the trailer now they show a lot and I'm not sure I would be excited. Also shows that excitement can quickly fade away when you watch a hyped film and it's so often lazily shot it reaches a low level that you start to lose faith in the film. When Morpheus introduced himself i did think this should be far better than it is being. 

The Matrix really is a masterpiece of efficient direction. About removing unnecessary shots so you're just left with scenes that basically become iconic.

I'm not into over analysing a film afterwards really, extrapolating what is barely there, enjoying the thoughts the film provokes rather than enjoying the execution of the direction. And this film didn't provoke any thoughts about its themes, just on what a Matrix film that isn't this could be, maybe boring stuff like the beginning of the war or Zion being formed or Morpheus' journey. Or there being another human city Morpheus didn't know about. Something. Not a meta film that often has the tone of an SNL sketch, it just ruins my engagement of it.

When the news came out there would be another Matrix I thought 'well, I like the world' and when the John Wick director was attached I thought 'well I like his action' and 'The Wachowskis have fallen so much I'd have more faith in someone else directing it tbh'.

The biggest weakness of The Matrix films for me is the insertion of a love story that no one cares about. The four films probably waste in total 30 minutes of them staring into eachothers eyes. I don't think they have much chemistry beyond looking alike. 

The film revisiting scenes from the original is straight out of the soul violating wretchedness of Terminator Genisys, the absolute worst form of homage. I loved those scenes in the original because they were executed perfectly, to force you into enduring poor imitations is genuinely painful. This film isn't painful, but I didn't like the endless clips of the originals either, it's not a good idea to show films I'd much rather be watching. It doesn't matter if there's commentary attached to doing it, you're still saying: 'I have no new ideas'. 

I think sequels obsessing about characters is a bad idea because in the original it's just: everything is happening to them, it feels real. Then in the sequels it's like everything revolves around them, and the realness of the world building starts to fall away. We were even told there had been many other 'The Ones' before Neo, he wasn't special and I liked that it spun his love for Trinity and choosing to save her made him different because it made their love have a point.

People become so sentimentaly attached to characters it seems, as though watching Carrie Ann Moss and Keanu Reeves reprise their roles here and having scenes together fills peoples hearts or something. Or like seeing the same in The Hobbit trilogy. For me...no. I don't care. And I love Lord Of The Rings and was invested in those characters. 

The Terminator series can't get out of making each one a chase film, and The Matrix it seems can't get out of thinking it's delivering some profound deep love story for the ages. When

Hide contents

Trinity inexplicably hovers in the air holding on to Neo's hand, you're supposed to find it a moving image I guess? Whilst also thinking 'er, how?' A couple holding hands leaping off a rooftop as though it means anything, this film should not have focused on their forced love. 

I agree with a lot of this, but I do think Keanu and Carrie have chemistry. Nothing is done with it though. Hot mess is exactly what I typed in to letterboxd as I left the cinema :)

On 28/12/2021 at 01:28, Indy @ S.E. said:

Regarding the ending:

Hide contents

What becomes of Agent Smith? He helps Neo out by taking out the Analyst but then gets possessed by one of the swarm? Or does he instigate the swarm?

Spoiler

He’s still an “Agent” program so he can jump in to and out or bodies. So he jumps out of the barista to elsewhere, because he’s confident that now he won’t reset in to his “Neo’s boss” role.

Meanwhile I dust off my spec script for “The New Agent Smith Adventures” which is basically Quantum Leap but with Agent Smith.

My thoughts immediately after watching it:

I felt the same way when I came out of the cinema after Escape from L.A. Just sort of bemused.

I spent most of the time trying to spot the cast of Sens8.

Also I liked that they included the bike chase from Metal Gear Solid 4. I understand they are big Kojima fans.

We’ve given up on this total wreck just over half-way through. Even the kid got bored and wanted something else on. Thanks to the film constantly reminding us that the original is infinitely better we ended up watching that for the 67th time.

Thank Christ for our lockdown. €38, plus whatever else on drinks and popcorn saved.

15 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

When the news came out there would be another Matrix I thought 'well, I like the world' and when the John Wick director was attached I thought 'well I like his action' and 'The Wachowskis have fallen so much I'd have more faith in someone else directing it tbh'.

The biggest weakness of The Matrix films for me is the insertion of a love story that no one cares about. The four films probably waste in total 30 minutes of them staring into eachothers eyes. I don't think they have much chemistry beyond looking alike. 

This probably would have been genuinely amazing with much of the existing plot but directed (and choreographed) by Stahelski, allowed to take his physical action sensibilities and add a more fantastical twist. Perhaps the Wachowski(s) still had enough credit from making WB a couple of billion originally to keep the reins on this one but, particularly in hindsight, most of their output after the original Matrix suggests that they maybe weren't the safest hands.

I disagree about the unwelcome love story aspect though. I think Trinity's whispered message to Neo in the original is a pretty wonderful moment - about as good an incarnation of the 'power of love' as any - and probably about the only positive thing I remember about the third film is their determination to see it through to the end together, their momentary glimpse of the blue sky above, hand in hand.

The Matrix was immaculate science fiction - a pocket universe so tightly constructed that you couldn't perceive its boundaries, but with themes and ideas that resonated deep and wide. Resurrections makes sense only as a confluence of outside forces. The creative choices that succeed make inspired use of the movie's conflicted context as a creative and commercial object; those that fail, disrupt and distract can only be fully comprehended through those same ill-starred origins. This makes for a film with tremendous power if not as art then as artefact. I say this not to excuse the result or to suggest the flaws are intentional but to explain its fascination for a follower of the franchise and to anticipate the better-informed film studies thinkpieces which are sure to come in the next half-decade.

Apropos of which, here is a list of the questions which popped in to my head over the past day or so, many of which will probably never be answered given Wachowski's famous reluctance to explain her movies or share deleted material.

Spoiler

Were those M4.0 packets actually the WB packets for the movie's development?

How much of the "WB wants us to make the Matrix 4" speech is autobiographical?

What else originally happened in the IO scene?

Did they use the UE5 models for Neo and Trinity at the end? UE5 gets an acknowledgement in the credits.

Did Neo make a Matrix instance on 2005 game technology?

Why is it 60 years later and not 20? Did Neo loop those years multiple times or was it a late start using his 40 year rotting corpse?

Why did they go up to the top of a building to escape a helicopter? That’s where the helicopter lives.

15 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Hide contents

What else originally happened in the IO scene?

Spoiler

The whole IO section is deeply fascinating to me. Given the writers' (and I'm including Mitchell here) previous exploration of anti-fascism, communist revolution and decolonisation, I love that Niobe straight up tells Neo that he has no place there, and also that it wasn't possible to build IO out of the remains of Zion.

Spoiler

It's also the sequence that's most conspicuously affected by whatever budget or time limitations they had. There seem to only be a few hundred square feet of sets across the whole production, but at the Matrix sequences are patched together by location shooting whereas IO gets basically just a CGI backdrop.

Oh, which reminds me, I'm pretty sure that one of the Runners from Animatrix: Matriculated shows up in the farm scene.

Covid impact stuff is usually things like lack of extras and whatnot and scenes outdoor scenes feeling thin, this is more shitty/flat lighting, cheap looking sets/green screen backdrops and really limp fight choreography edited within an inch of its life.

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Covid impact stuff is usually things like lack of extras and whatnot and scenes outdoor scenes feeling thin

That does remind me of the Io scenes.

I mean it's hardly important but could provide context. I agree about the slightly less than prestige feel to proceedings on the fourth entry in this Hollywood franchise but things iike poor lighting wouldn't bother me if the story was compelling.

12 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

01000001 00100000 01101100 01101111 01100001 01100100 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01101111 01101100 01100100 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01110100 00101110 00100000

Spoilers!

This film has the most badly choreographed action scenes I've ever seen. Dear lord, every one was completely flat, weightless and devoid of any tension or escalation. The hand to hand stuff was bad with most fights ending with a hadouken, but the gun stuff was far worse. Scenes where people just spray an mp5 around one handed without even aiming at anyone in particular, exasperated by constant slow shots of them doing so. 

Also 

Spoiler

Why did the second chopper, the one that shot the rocket at Neo, then just disappear from the rooftop battle?

Sloppy, sloppy stuff.

43 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I can't watch any video with those big eye poster images. The enrage me.

thats a pretty good video but they got the swarm mode wrong.

Instead of agents, they have lots of bots mixed in with the real people. Swarm mode activates the bots into attackers not take over real people and waste batteries.

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With a combination of those thumbnails, and occasionally trying to read an article where they take forever to get anywhere near a point, they can go do one.

I specifically mean that guy. He's funny. I don't follow other Screen Rant stuff, and he also has his own channel.

5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

This film has the most badly choreographed action scenes I've ever seen. Dear lord, every one was completely flat, weightless and devoid of any tension or escalation. The hand to hand stuff was bad with most fights ending with a hadouken, but the gun stuff was far worse. Scenes where people just spray an mp5 around one handed without even aiming at anyone in particular, exasperated by constant slow shots of them doing so. 

Also 

Hide contents

Why did the second chopper, the one that shot the rocket at Neo, then just disappear from the rooftop battle?

Sloppy, sloppy stuff.

Spoiler

It’s right there when Trinity says “bye” to it when they leap, isn’t it?