IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

8 hours ago, hmm said:

I'm a bit sceptical that the guy busy still knocking out John Wick movies, that have only got more physical as they've gone along, was the limiting factor in the action scenes.

There was a lot of Keanu waving his hands forward to do Force Push and not as much Kung Fu. I think the demands of a lot of fight scenes are different to the gunplay you have on John Wick. Particularly as The Matrix was always speed based - stop trying to hit me and hit me etc.

Keanu is great, but he's not actually immortal and definitely slower than 20 years ago.

22 minutes ago, kensei said:

Keanu is great, but he's not actually immortal and definitely slower than 20 years ago.

If only there was a technique they could use to dramatically slow down the action so that it looked cool regardless of how fast and agile the actors are

1 hour ago, hmm said:

If only there was a technique they could use to dramatically slow down the action so that it looked cool regardless of how fast and agile the actors are

It's the contrast that made bullet time work. Maybe it was the choreography, but it was definitely flat.

Note that fast, but so much better than anything in this.

18 minutes ago, kensei said:

It's the contrast that made bullet time work. Maybe it was the choreography, but it was definitely flat.

Note that fast, but so much better than anything in this.

Wasn't Fishburne about the same age then that Keanu is now? He's able to do it.

58 minutes ago, kensei said:

I was more making a joke/point about there being a lot more wrong with the action than just Keanu's arthritis, the complete absence of the series' USP (besides a dialogue reference) being amongst its many problems.

47 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Wasn't Fishburne about the same age then that Keanu is now? He's able to do it.

Laurence Fishbourne is 60 and Keanu is 57. So not that much difference! 

Even by the Matrix sequels, Fishbourne was in nowhere like the shape Keanu was, though.

Now bingeing on Matrix fight scenes. Even the sequel ones are pretty impressive. While a lot more obviously staged than maybe more modern films, they are all impressively readable and avoid quick cuts. Some of the longer sequences are pretty impressive too - I'd forgot how much I enjoyed the Smith fight with clones in Reloaded.

The scene with

Spoiler

The Merovingian was probably the closest here but it definitely felt more cluttered.

I’ve just been to see this, with expectations set low based on this thread. It was great! I don’t know what you’re all moaning about you miserable bunch. A nice clever story that fit perfectly with the originals. The action wasn’t as good but otherwise it was spot on. Although I also enjoyed rewatching the originals (yes plural) this week in the lead up so I realise I’m out of tune with the general consensus.

Just got back from this. Absolutely loved it, what a fantastic  film. I loved how bonkers it all was and how it felt like such a brilliant continuation of the story after The third film. The two leads are beyond good, just perfect in their roles. I thought the action was great if not a patch on the original (but then, what is?). 

The Matrix trilogy might not be the best trilogy ever made, but it’s the one I revisit the most and I normally see them once a year. The only films I know more intimately are the Star Wars OT. So it almost feels as if this new film was made specifically for me which is an interesting feeling. 

I don’t know what people complaining about the effects are smoking as I thought they were consistently  good throughout the movie. 

The film touched on so many interesting themes and whilst not subtle it got me thinking in ways most blockbusters never do.

A minor masterpiece. It is a little too long and maybe two films would have been better so things could have been fleshed out a bit more. I found it really intriguing that the film suggests that the entire thing might all be in Neo’s head. 

I really admire the way the creator took their original film and reframed it, one of the more interesting reboots of recent years. Could have done with better Kung Fu, aside from one rather awesome move. A film I appreciated rather than felt emotionally invested in. Very glad I wasn’t put off watching it by all the negative reviews.