IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

8 hours ago, hmm said:

I'm a bit sceptical that the guy busy still knocking out John Wick movies, that have only got more physical as they've gone along, was the limiting factor in the action scenes.

There was a lot of Keanu waving his hands forward to do Force Push and not as much Kung Fu. I think the demands of a lot of fight scenes are different to the gunplay you have on John Wick. Particularly as The Matrix was always speed based - stop trying to hit me and hit me etc.

Keanu is great, but he's not actually immortal and definitely slower than 20 years ago.

22 minutes ago, kensei said:

Keanu is great, but he's not actually immortal and definitely slower than 20 years ago.

If only there was a technique they could use to dramatically slow down the action so that it looked cool regardless of how fast and agile the actors are

1 hour ago, hmm said:

If only there was a technique they could use to dramatically slow down the action so that it looked cool regardless of how fast and agile the actors are

It's the contrast that made bullet time work. Maybe it was the choreography, but it was definitely flat.

Note that fast, but so much better than anything in this.

18 minutes ago, kensei said:

It's the contrast that made bullet time work. Maybe it was the choreography, but it was definitely flat.

Note that fast, but so much better than anything in this.

Wasn't Fishburne about the same age then that Keanu is now? He's able to do it.

58 minutes ago, kensei said:

I was more making a joke/point about there being a lot more wrong with the action than just Keanu's arthritis, the complete absence of the series' USP (besides a dialogue reference) being amongst its many problems.

47 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Wasn't Fishburne about the same age then that Keanu is now? He's able to do it.

Laurence Fishbourne is 60 and Keanu is 57. So not that much difference! 

Even by the Matrix sequels, Fishbourne was in nowhere like the shape Keanu was, though.

Now bingeing on Matrix fight scenes. Even the sequel ones are pretty impressive. While a lot more obviously staged than maybe more modern films, they are all impressively readable and avoid quick cuts. Some of the longer sequences are pretty impressive too - I'd forgot how much I enjoyed the Smith fight with clones in Reloaded.

The scene with

Spoiler

The Merovingian was probably the closest here but it definitely felt more cluttered.

Just got back from this. Absolutely loved it, what a fantastic  film. I loved how bonkers it all was and how it felt like such a brilliant continuation of the story after The third film. The two leads are beyond good, just perfect in their roles. I thought the action was great if not a patch on the original (but then, what is?). 

The Matrix trilogy might not be the best trilogy ever made, but it’s the one I revisit the most and I normally see them once a year. The only films I know more intimately are the Star Wars OT. So it almost feels as if this new film was made specifically for me which is an interesting feeling. 

I don’t know what people complaining about the effects are smoking as I thought they were consistently  good throughout the movie. 

The film touched on so many interesting themes and whilst not subtle it got me thinking in ways most blockbusters never do.

A minor masterpiece. It is a little too long and maybe two films would have been better so things could have been fleshed out a bit more. I found it really intriguing that the film suggests that the entire thing might all be in Neo’s head. 

I really admire the way the creator took their original film and reframed it, one of the more interesting reboots of recent years. Could have done with better Kung Fu, aside from one rather awesome move. A film I appreciated rather than felt emotionally invested in. Very glad I wasn’t put off watching it by all the negative reviews.

• 1 month later...

Resurrections has the same problem as Reloaded and Revolutions… it’s a sequel to The Matrix, which is one of the greatest movies that will ever be made and because of that there is no way for it to replicate that feeling that The Matrix gives you on the first viewing or indeed the 40th.

I found myself pleasantly surprised with it given all the apparent dislike for it and I’m not sure what else it could have done. Story was it’s a very clever progression that like it predecessors suffers from the clunky exposition scenes, but overall was much more contained than Revolutions regular nonsense. It’s one real failing for me though is that it does nothing new with the action. Where each movie in the previous trilogy had something truly special in the action stakes this was actually quite uninspired and for a Matrix movie that’s just no right. Instead it’s the few more dramatic character moments that deliver the goods with Trinity in particular having the best of them.

So yeah, it’s nowhere near as good as The Matrix, not as good as Reloaded and definitely better than Revolutions. Maybe if they do another one they will remember that The Matrix was the movie that redefined so many things about action movies and bring a little bit of that spark to that side of things.

On 10/03/2022 at 15:21, MardiganX said:

Maybe if they do another one

I can't believe that'll ever happen. I think even a reboot is off the table now, it would be impossible to watch it and not be thinking of Resurrections the whole time, whispering in your ear about how stupid and lazy and shit having another Matrix movie is.

I bought this on iTunes today and just finished watching it.

Largely felt pretty disjointed and a bit weird as I too have been on a journey of growing up all these years since I was 19 when the first film came out.

The HDR was nice, the fights were awkwardly staged in strange environments.

I did like it though it felt like a 3rd arm to the originals.

it was pretty good to hear Brass Against in the end credits but then you go and relive the live studio recordings of those songs on YouTube and find out what she did on stage a few months back lol

Watched it at the weekend and posted in the last film you watched thread. I'd have scored it higher if the action direction and editing were any good - just not a decent enough team put together for this to happen it seems - as bad as a Paul Greengrass film

There is a documentary on the Blu-Ray disc that explains a few things about the look, action and filming direction they took on it. Basically they didn't want it as locked down as the previous films, so a lot of it was just done on the fly. All well and good, but it certainly looks that way - the end product of not locking it down makes it have confusing action sequences and editing together to make a sequence work - so not even this good - however ridiculous this looks....

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't manage to catch this at this at the cinema, which is just as well, as on the action side it's just not worth it. Desperately disappointing given original films.

Really enjoyed it though. What surprised me most was how similar the tone was to The Matrix Awakens.   When it started getting silly and meta and was on-board.  I can see why someone would bounce off it at that point.

I had a night to myself the other night so I watched the blu-ray and all the extras. I already enjoyed it the first time at the cinema but I liked it even more this time round (the usual thing of not being surprised by everything so more able to take it all in properly). And the little documentaries did a really good job of explaining exactly why it looks so different to the originals, and why the action sequences feel so different. With the originals they were determined to use flat lighting wherever possible for scenes in the matrix, even outdoors, to give it an artificial look. They gave the example of the classic rooftop bullet-time dodge where the camera swoops around Neo, and moves up to look down so the sun is never in shot. Whereas this time they wanted to use natural sunlight as much as possible, partly because Lana has learned to love shooting in natural light, but also because this is a more advanced version of the matrix so naturally it has more realistic lighting effects right?

With the action, it does seem a bit flat and often confusing compared to the originals, but the difference now is that it's all shot in real time, in long takes, often on location and with as little CGI as possible. So the bike chase through the city with all the exploding cars was done for "real" (the bike was on a rig with the cameras but it was really travelling around the streets with things exploding). Similarly the jump off the building at the end was also real - obviously they were harnessed up the wazoo but Keanu and Carrie really did jump off the roof of a massive skyscraper, all so that it looked real in the natural dawn sunlight. But since the originals, we've got so used to hyper-choreographed action shot on green screens and then composited into CGI scenery that this looser, more naturalistic approach now looks a bit underwhelming. But it's a deliberate directorial choice. (You don't have to agree it's a good one, obviously).

5 hours ago, Darren said:

With the action, it does seem a bit flat and often confusing compared to the originals, but the difference now is that it's all shot in real time, in long takes, often on location and with as little CGI as possible. So the bike chase through the city with all the exploding cars was done for "real" (the bike was on a rig with the cameras but it was really travelling around the streets with things exploding). Similarly the jump off the building at the end was also real - obviously they were harnessed up the wazoo but Keanu and Carrie really did jump off the roof of a massive skyscraper, all so that it looked real in the natural dawn sunlight. But since the originals, we've got so used to hyper-choreographed action shot on green screens and then composited into CGI scenery that this looser, more naturalistic approach now looks a bit underwhelming. But it's a deliberate directorial choice

The lighting, length of takes and locations aren't what's wrong for me. The way some scenes/shots are staged robs them of excitement.

There's a bit right near the start with Bugs and Morpheus in a corridor.  They're doing flippy stunts and the agent after them are worse shots than Stormtroopers.  That happens more than once.

When the crew are outside the coffeeshop before getting into vehicles, it's like they're just hanging around waiting for a taxi. The swarm doesn't feel like a threat at all.

There's a point in cafe were a bullet's a threat  to a frozen character and then it just disappears.  Probably went to the same place as the second helicopter.

Stuff like that.  

Appreciate than Lana doesnt 'shoot the storyboard' these days.  It's not a given it ends up with this wobbliness though.

I'd blame it on covid, but then Jupiter Ascending and Sense 8 had issues with action as well.

But I liked the film!

I thought this was great. Loved how on the nose the first part is, or probably, all of it is; the trans references and the analogy to Trump's America. All held together by the Matrix glue and a love story. Sure, it's far from perfect, but it tries when perhaps other films don't. I certainly preferred it some of the other sequels released at the same time, Far From Home and Afterlife.

Watched this last night. Honestly don't know if I liked it or hated it. I'm sure there's a decent film in there somewhere but the execution is a bit of a car crash. I liked some of the ideas and themes but then there was a lot of nonsense and just meh-ness. The action on the whole was just poor and forgettable, I've not seen the original trilogy for ages but I can still remember the action and set pieces (Lobby shoot out, dodging bullets, the highway fight, Neo vs The Smith Army etc), I watched this film last night and can barely remember any of the action. And what I do remember is for the wrong reasons (the effects there looked bad, what was the point in that flip?, how did they not get shot there? What's going on? Why is this shot so badly? Where's the helicopter gone? Who are these homeless people?) 

They’re shot almost from a bystander POV at times. It would’ve been interesting for them to lean in to that and do a more explicitly documentary style in the earlier scenes and gradually ramp up in to some Bill Pope action as Neo comes out of his funk. It does go a little bit that way but not deliberately.