IGNORED

The Matrix 4: Resurrections - Reeves, Moss and Lana Wachowski Returning! Dec 22nd 2021

Goose

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I can't quite believe that we're getting a new one. The Matrix was a bit like what I assume The Avengers must be for the current generation. Huge event films which typified the culture of the time. Yeah, it's going to be pretty surreal stepping into the cinema hall to see a new Matrix film!

2 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Honestly, I can't quite believe that we're getting a new one. The Matrix was a bit like what I assume The Avengers must be for the current generation. Huge event films which typified the culture of the time. Yeah, it's going to be pretty surreal stepping into the cinema hall to see a new Matrix film!

True, except The Avengers series didn't end in massive disappointment. This is a chance for them to hopefully fix things.

So I'm confused by what is meant by a reboot here. Is this a re-telling of the Matrix or is it an actual sequel? And if it is an actual reboot then isnt it really weird to use the same actors? I dunno how you top Matrix 1, its an amazing film, so I hope they aren't going to be re-doing that.

If the Wachowskis are writing/directing its easy to be excited - but then remember they were responsible for the sequels, which whilst they had incredible action completely botched the story. Matrix 1 had the most straightforward story, and the pacing was spot on. I felt like there were some good ideas in the sequels but the pacing was way off and the story was too convoluted and "bad Smith takes over everything" was a silly premise.

Also I hope they can restrain themselves with the CGI - Matrix 3 was just a huge CGI fest and it suffered for it. Although they use CGI a lot in the other movies the whole machine war stuff was way too much, it broke the more grounded feel that you got when they were "in" the Matrix.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

So I'm confused by what is meant by a reboot here. Is this a re-telling of the Matrix or is it an actual sequel?

When the thread was started, Warner were shopping around for someone to revive the franchise (which everyone assumed meant a plot reboot because that's the only way Hollywood has revived anything in the past 20 years) but it's confirmed to be a direct sequel, and it's got a Wachowski attached.

I think it’s likely to feature a new iteration of the Matrix which is revealed to have been created by the events of the previous trilogy. One where all the people are sentient programmes. Our heroes are dirty underground people who break in to the Matrix rather than out of it.

There’s already a lengthy, apparently post-trilogy plot in the MMORPG that involved a civil war between people who wanted back in to the Matrix, people who wanted *everyone* out of the Matrix, friendly Agents, rogue agents, sentient programs and some other nonsense that... probably won’t be canon any more.

Probably.

• 2 months later...
On 20/02/2020 at 15:33, Mr Combo Breaker said:

maybe it'll turn out all the Real World stuff from the 2 sequals was actually still inside the Matrix. Like that episode of Rick And Morty with David Cross

*what a twist.jpeg*

I remember after 2/waiting for 3 that was a fan theory so popular that many just took it as a given. The real twist was, of course, that there was no twist. Something Mass Effect 3 ran with.

9 hours ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

I remember after 2/waiting for 3 that was a fan theory so popular that many just took it as a given. The real twist was, of course, that there was no twist. Something Mass Effect 3 ran with.

Maybe the real twist was the friends we made along the way.