rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Do 71

Pixar's Coco

Did a cinema triple-bill yesterday with this the second film. The animation is absolutely stunning, raising Pixar's already pretty vertigo-inducing bar to stratospheric heights. But, 24 hours later, I have only fleeting memories of the film itself.

In no way is it a bad film. Far from it, it's a good - sometimes very good - one, with a very sweet story in a fun setting (although feel Book of Life was overlooked for doing similar and doing it just as well). Yet much like The Good Dinosaur, everything sort of washed over me and didn't reach out and lift me in the same way Inside Out and many others have done in the past. At times it felt formulaic, and lacking the levels of invention that used to be Pixar's hallmark.

• Upvote 2

I found Coco disappointing but charming. I knew when we saw X character that I knew what was going to happen, and it did more or less. However, saying that, the message and heart was strong enough for me to recommend it. I admit I was sobbing up in the last few minutes too. Solid but doesn't beat Moana or Zootoopia for me.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I saw this was out on the high seas. Hopefully it's worth a watch, wasn't a big fan of Moana (the music was good though) and well, Zootopia i thought was pretty good too.

Really enjoyed this - we chose it over Jumanji. A lot of heart, some stunning visuals and a few tears too.

• Upvote 1

Visually, Pixar knocked it out of the park. Made all the cartoons in the trailers prior to the movie look a bit rubbish.

Story was what you’d expect (it was never going to be another Inside Out - what is?!) Ending similarly what you’d expect but worth a couple of tears anyway.

probably not the film for the three year olds in the cinema with us!

Saw this today - one of Pixar's best. The quality of the animation in this felt like a step up again from Pixar's previous brilliance.

As Footie says it might not engage younger kids as much as some other Poxar films. My five year old enjoyed it. Eight year old loved it.

• Upvote 1

Saw this on Friday and thought it was fantastic. Pixar back on top form, and on par with the greats like WALL-E and Up.

• Upvote 2

I haven't had this much dust in my eyes since Toy Story 3. :(

I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure it's quite up there with Pixar's best for me, but it was a solid, gorgeous movie that packed a big emotional punch.

• Upvote 3

Watched this with my girls today, technically it’s stunning, the animation has gone to another level.

I thought it was right up there with Pixar’s Best in terms of heart and story as well.

had a lump in my throat at the end, even if it was predictable, the delivery was full of the feels.

• Upvote 2

The story was a little too predictable, and the characters a little too stereotypical, for me to consider it a classic, but it was a lovely film, truly beautiful, and I did cry at the end. In look and music it really reminded me of Grim Fandango, which also highlighted how much more witty and wonderfully odd that narrative was compared to this.

A good film but not quite adventurous enough to be considered one of Pixar's best.

• Upvote 1

Loved it, especially Dante the dog. :wub:

I was a bit apprehensive when the trailers came out. I was a big fan of The Book of Life a few years ago, and this seemed to have a lot of similarities. I was worried it would just be a rip-off.

Happy to say I was wrong. They do start from a similar premise (a little boy who dreams of becoming a musician against the wishes of his overbearing family, etc) but they're different enough to stand side by side. I love them both.

One minor, odd thing: this is the first Pixar film I can think of that wasn't preceded by a short film. Happy to be corrected if there are others.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

One minor, odd thing: this is the first Pixar film I can think of that wasn't preceded by a short film. Happy to be corrected if there are others.

The US release had Olaf's Frozen Adventure shown before it. But it was cut from the international releases because it's over 20 minutes long: lots of parents complained that their kids were getting restless by the end of Coco.

• Upvote 1

One of Pixar’s finest - and I watched it not knowing it was by them, or even in-house Disney. The plot is easily predicted, but it’s not the heart of this lovely, lovely film. 

• Upvote 2

Watched it last night. Enjoyable film.  one of the middle of the road pixar films but the ending was very touching.

I figured out the twist half way through so a bit predictable but didn't ruin it or anything. 

Im not usually one to watch animated films.

I took my five year old to see this, he adored it. And so did I! Mexico has a very special place in my heart as I lived there for a while. I loved the day of the dead theme.

It is reassuring to see that others found it so moving. I was in floods of tears for about the last ten minutes, I have never cried like that watching a film!

this was brilliant. masterful storytelling.

felt more like a disney film than a pixar one in some respects, and was sometimes better for it. i preferred this to the likes of up and zootopia.

could see how younguns might get a little bored though, especially in the second act - but that wasn't my problem :-D

Fucking marvellous. I loved every minute. The design was spectacular. I always loved the day of the dead, and this blew me away.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was fine but nothing special. Didn't feel like a Pixar film - if not for some nice animation touches then I would have guessed it was from a smaller animation studio.

• Upvote 1

Almost at the end. Unless something really transformative happens in the last ten minutes then it's really overrated. It looks stunning in places but the story is just plain. 

• Upvote 1

Well the story is incredibly predictable. I watched this a couple of weeks ago and was slightly disappointed. It was stunning, it evoked emotions (I even teared up a bit at the end although I do that watching a lot of things), but it just didn't feel as inventive as Zootopia, Inside Out, etc. It's a good film but I had kind of expected it to blow me away.

Just checked my trakt, I gave it a 7/10.

• Upvote 4

Yeah the story doesn't miss a predictable beat. 

It does some lovely things with the folklore but the story is by the numbers. 

Edit-I'd agree with 7/10. 

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

Well the story is incredibly predictable. I watched this a couple of weeks ago and was slightly disappointed. It was stunning, it evoked emotions (I even teared up a bit at the end although I do that watching a lot of things), but it just didn't feel as inventive as Zootopia, Inside Out, etc. It's a good film but I had kind of expected it to blow me away.

Just checked my trakt, I gave it a 7/10.

Zootopia is as by the numbers as it's gets. Small outsider wants to be something that society says they can't be, gets laughed at, does well, gets accepted. 

Zootopia provides a social commentary while being laugh-out-loud funny, and still packing an emotional punch. For me it ticked all the boxes. When I say "inventive" I don't necessarily refer to plot, by the way, but also stuff like comedy (it's hard to come up with jokes that feel fresh) and the whole world they created, even if it's just a metaphor for ours. I'd have to watch it again for a more detailed argument, though, admittedly.

Coco tells an age-old story in a way, which isn't necessarily bad at all, but Zootopia felt more current. That might mean in the long run Coco ages better, who knows! Ultimately what counts for me is that I came away more impressed by one than the other. 

• Upvote 2