rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mansizerooster

Full Throttle Remastered

This is now available for pre-order on the PSN Store.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/full-throttle-remastered/cid=EP2154-CUSA06701_00-FULLTHROTTLEPREO

When I saw it I insta-bought it, assuming that it was cross-buy. It's currently listed as PS4 only - do you think having already bought the PS4-only version, they'll allow me to download the Vita version when it gets uploaded to the store?

• Upvote 2

Yes!

And yes:

Pre-order now to receive: 
Full Throttle Remastered on PS4™
Full Throttle Remastered on Vita
A Full Throttle theme

• Upvote 1

What a banging game this is. The intro theme tune is excellent.

Also - first time I ever heard Mark Hammill's voice-acting. You can't help but hear bits of The Joker when Ripburger speaks.

Are Sony paying for these remakes? Don't get me wrong, DoTT remaster was excellent, but I'm struggling to see why they need to be exclusive.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Are Sony paying for these remakes? Don't get me wrong, DoTT remaster was excellent, but I'm struggling to see why they need to be exclusive.

Exclusive games sell consoles! Even the niche markets need some attention. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Exclusive games sell consoles! Even the niche markets need some attention. 

Can of worms, but it's a lost sale from me. 

3 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Can of worms, but it's a lost sale from me. 

I think that's only on consoles. It's coming to PC at the same time which is where you really want to play it.

• Upvote 2

Of course PC is the homeland of these games, that goes without question.

I have, however, thoroughly enjoyed playing Grim and Tentacle on my Vita, and fully intend to blast through this on my Vita also.

Yep, console exclusive to ps4/vita, but not an issue if you've a pc. For, you know, proper mouse control.

(I'd kill for a Switch version, mind) 

2 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

What a banging game this is. The intro theme tune is excellent.

Also - first time I ever heard Mark Hammill's voice-acting. You can't help but hear bits of The Joker when Ripburger speaks.

I can still clearly remember the opening music for this despite not playing it for over 20 years! So, so good. I rarely revisit games, but I think I have to with this. Such an amazing game.

Ah man, the memories. This was my first ever point n click, must been about 14 / 15 years old.  Scenes. 

Fuck, what a one to start with! I think my first was Lure of the Temptress way back when - not Revolution's finest hour, but it had me enthralled and pulled me into the genre. Then Future Wars, which was ridiculously hard, but ridiculously beautiful (below is probably the most iconic backdrop in the game, from the opening - this is from 1989! 1989! And with a whole 16-colour palette to work with. Eric Chahi was a god of visual design), and Operation Stealth, which was just ridiculously hard.

58d18778ee021_FutureWars.gif.1267bb36bf8e63aeee1e9f79553e4d12.gif

But yeah, I had the fun of starting with interesting but flawed games in the genre, and gradually working up to the greats; I can't imagine what it would have been like starting with something of Full Throttle's quality - so few of the adventures I enjoyed in the early '90s just wouldn't have been able to live up to the expectations it would have set!

• Upvote 5

Monkey Island 2 for me. 

I still had an Atari ST at the time, and reading old Gary Whitta's review of it in ACE magazine was a bit of an eye opener. It looked like a cartoon!!! And whilst I'd dabbled with games like Space Quest before, they were quirky as hell.

It took a fair old while before I did end up buying a full blown PC, but MI2 was the first game I bought for it.

And it really was as good as I dreamed it would be!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wiper said:

Then Future Wars, which was ridiculously hard, but ridiculously beautiful (below is probably the most iconic backdrop in the game, from the opening - this is from 1989! 1989! And with a whole 16-colour palette to work with. Eric Chahi was a god of visual design), and Operation Stealth, which was just ridiculously hard.

58d18778ee021_FutureWars.gif.1267bb36bf8e63aeee1e9f79553e4d12.gif

Holy shit, that screenshot brings back memories. 16 bit artists were just phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

I loved all those Delphine games and although I've posted it in here numerous times, the fact Operation Stealth used Workbench text to speech made it amazing and futuristic and also unintentionally hilarious at times.

My favourite genre of game ever, can't wait for Thimbleweed Park on the 30th, woop!

Looking forward to playing this game but with many games I want to play at the moment and Double Fine games usually end up on PS+ so I'll wait for that.

My abiding memory of Full Throttle was my housemate and I at uni in 1998 staying up til the early hours to complete this. Apart from the beginning bit where they steal his jacket yet he appears with it on, the game is solid. Love the bit near the end where,

Spoiler

if you fail it fades out and goes "hang on, let's try that again" until you do it.

Tried playing the DotT remake with my girlfriend but it was a bit too oldschool for her, this may be a bit more acceptable.

It was a fantastic game...but it felt far too short. That and its by far the easiest Lucasarts adventure. I usually had to rifle through guides to solve these things, but this one I did all by myself.

so something was definitely up with that.

but what was there was great.

On 21/03/2017 at 15:46, Lorfarius said:

I think that's only on consoles. It's coming to PC at the same time which is where you really want to play it.

Nah, these remakes are ideal for consoles. The PC has the originals and it seems like the classic way to play point 'n' click adventures. But having played the Monkey Island remakes and DOTT on 360 and PS4, they're ideal sofa games, with their slow pace and the way they reward patient, investigative gameplay. It was great in the day doing that huddled over a 386 but now.

Still got Grim Fandango to make a start on, sometime soon. Great to see Full Throttle as its a bit of a forgotten classic that doesn't seem to get the same love as Monkey Island/DOTT etc. Would love updated versions of Sam and Max - but the ultimate for me would be a fully remade Fate of Atlantis I think. 

I find it odd that Full Throttle seems neglected, I wonder if that's a British thing (the American biker setting might not have been the easiest sell here) - it was the best selling Lucasarts adventure ever made on release (the first to clear 1 million copies, I believe), so if anything it should be the best known of their games.

Incidentally, it's also the reason that Grim Fandango happened: it was such a huge success that Lucasarts gave Tim Schafer free reign for his next project. It is, in turn, the reason Grim Fandango was seen as such a big sales disappointment despite itself outselling the pre-Full Throttle adventures: they'd expected continuing growth to match their higher investment, and they absolutely didn't get it.

• Upvote 2

I wonder if Grim Fandango made those figures in the end in a similar way to how Labyrinth did awfully at the box office but has done so well in the two decades since that Disney would love to create a similar cult classic now.

I've had to contact Sony because my pre-order for this hasn't registered with PSN and it's asking that I pay again.

The PSN back-end really is a fucking mess. They really should rewrite it from the ground up, it'd save them so much pain going forward.