IGNORED

Game of the Q1! 2017

Oz

Game of the 1Q2017  

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What else is out this year that would end up on the list. Red Dead? There the new Mordor game, Shadow of Mordor was a decent game, but I maintain that only ended up top of so many GotY lists because it was really bad year.

Just now, Harsin said:

What else is out this year that would end up on the list. Red Dead? There the new Mordor game, Shadow of Mordor was a decent game, but I maintain that only ended up top of so many GotY lists because it was really bad year.

Super Mario Odyssey

20 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Nah, Mordor and Alien Isolation are still two of my favorite games this gen. The new one will seriously rock, because, Monolith.

41 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Persona 5, Vampyr, and who knows, maybe Prey. 

1 hour ago, Gorf King said:

I wouldn't touch Yakuza with a bargepole if I were you, Shimmy - it's got an engaging narrative, interesting characters and lots of cutscenes. Guaranteed crap game, say the game scientists of YouTube.

'Stand and bang time' though :lol: - man, this place just gets better and better.

Did you not have a 360?

Stand and bang was a frequent abuse message you would get after a COD session that you were duty bound to reply with a 'your mum' witty retort!

6 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

Zelda is possibly the best game I have ever played in about 35 years of gaming. 

The more I play of Zelda, the more I'm thinking you might be right. I don't think I've ever played in a world which feels so  rich and alive. I've lost countless hours just wandering around just to see what's over the next hill. And the way the game rewards you for experimenting with different solutions for puzzles is unparalleled. 

It's a phenomenal accomplishment. And yes, it may have a few technical issues and some (small) niggles, but they pale in comparison to what Nintendo have made. I think PC Master Race may be right. It may be the best game I've ever played as well. 

It takes time - perhaps a year or more - for me to decide whether a game is amongst my favourite ever, but BOTW definitely has the right stuff to stand alongside San Andreas and MGSV as the best game of the century so far.

10 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

Not sure, I also think it may well be the best game ever. Of course I can't be sure until I completed it and it had some time to digest, but even after 40 hours of play I'm still blown away every time I boot it up.

sure it might be one of the best games of all time but it was not my favourite game that week. :lol: I think people are a bit caught in the moment about Zelda (and that's an understatement). it is excellent sure. and I have the most fun playing out of anything at the moment. but the combat is not brilliant, it runs poorly, it is outdated in terms of graphics, the voice acting is terrible (I actually wish it had none), menus are bad and there is a lot to do in those menus, it fucking rains all the time. the game has an intangible quality and feel to it that makes it special and unique but is this game better than half life 2 when it came out? or Mario 64? or Mario Galaxy? we will find out when we have had time to reflect. is it the best launch game. not sure either as there is super mario world to beat no? there is a bit of hyperbole in saying that this is the BEST game in 35 years and it came out a few weeks ago.

Lots of 'best games ever' have problems. Think back to all the arguments about Halo on the Edge forums. The levels just repeat themselves! The flood are awful! The library is one of the worst levels of all time! WTF is going on with the Warthog controls?? All valid criticisms, but Halo CE is now regarded as one of the best games ever. Truly great games transcend minor issues because quite often the ambition that makes them so transcendent also results in them over-reaching, either technically or by breaking new ground.

the combat isn't great is not a minor issue though is it? this game has problems big and small. and a lot of what makes it great is hard to articulate I find. look I don't wanna be contrarian. or get DDOS attacks and death threats. I love the game. and it is objectively excellent. but come on guys.

8 minutes ago, Pob said:

Lots of 'best games ever' have problems. Think back to all the arguments about Halo on the Edge forums. The levels just repeat themselves! The flood are awful! The library is one of the worst levels of all time! WTF is going on with the Warthog controls?? All valid criticisms, but Halo CE is now regarded as one of the best games ever. Truly great games transcend minor issues because quite often the ambition that makes them so transcendent also results in them over-reaching, either technically or by breaking new ground.

5 minutes ago, Oz said:

the combat isn't great is not a minor issue though is it?

No but it's a matter of opinion. I think it's great, and presumably so do people who place in the pantheon of the best games of all time.

Just now, Oz said:

the combat isn't great is not a minor issue though is it? look I don't wanna be contrarian. I love the game. but come on guys.

I don't get 'the combat isn't great' criticism. Watch the battle below:

It's not like he's alone saying that though. A lot of people are coming to the same conclusion, and that's after a good couple of weeks play. 

I agree that only time will tell, but it's a fairly safe bet that people will still think highly of it in years to come. The question isn't whether it was as good as Half-life 2 at launch, but how it's stands up to it now, and other games. 

Even Mario 64, Ocarina, or whatever. It easily stands upto or surpasses those too. 

Most people don't replay games over and over, so their opinion of it now is likely to be their opinion of it going forward. I mean, why would it change? 

Also, it doesn't look dated. It's a stunning artistic and technical achievement.

Nothing about this game is dated.

Just now, mdn2 said:

I don't get 'the combat isn't great' criticism. Watch the battle below:

sorry I can't watch that .... because I have not gotten there and it looks fucking awesome. :o 

right... let me go and finish this game.... I hope it is the best game of all time...and it is just sitting here in my fanny pack. ^_^

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Most people don't replay games over and over, so their opinion of it now is likely to be their opinion of it going forward. I mean, why would it change? 

I do think you need time to reflect before making such pronouncements. Games that I tend to class as my favourite ever are those that stay with me long after I've stopped playing them. I suspect Zelda BOTW be one of those defining videogame experiences but I can't possibly know that now.

Weirdly, I count Deus Ex as being one of my all-time faves even though I've enjoyed other games a lot more whilst actually playing them. It took me about a year to finally finish Deus Ex. But over all the intervening years I'm constantly thinking back to individual moments of brilliance and the overall feeling it evoked, so that ultimately it has become a defining game for me. It probably helps that its brilliance hasn't really been recaptured, whereas something like Half-Life has been copied so much that it has started to look retrospectively generic, despite being genre-defining and an amazing experience at the time.