IGNORED

Game of the Q1! 2017

Oz

Game of the 1Q2017  

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In all seriousness, I would love to have played Nier, Horizon, Yakuza, and to a lesser extent Mass Effect and Nioh. I've only played Resident Evil 7 (which was good but has since been overshadowed) and Zelda.

There's not just too many good games out, they're all really bloody long. All those ones I've listed above represent hundreds of hours of gameplay combined, so people are just going to cheerlead the game or two they've actually managed to play. I've only played Zelda for the past 3 weeks and probably for the next 1-2 weeks too and then I'll probably move onto Persona and have to catch up with all these at some vague point in the future.

I don't foresee anything overtaking Zelda if I'm honest. It's just one of those games (and I was very critical of Skyward Sword so don't throw the nostalgia/fanboy card at me please). But I can't really partake in any meaningful discussion about its merits compared to the other games until the end of the year or something, honestly. 

It's not just 2017 Q1, it's also Q4 of 2016.

I know you tend to expect Christmas periods to be chock-full of good games, but I found Christmas 2015 to be quite lacking. I've still got a bunch of excellent games from the end of 2016 sitting unplayed or unfinished. Watch Dogs 2, Forza Horizon 3, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Dishonoured 2, The Division: Survival, Deus EX MK at a stretch, though that's going back a bit now.

It's been an intense 6 months for games  - I don't think I'll be able to get through it all.

8 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

I guess that's why you negged Muz's wonderful post on the last page. :lol:  

But it would still be on underpowered hardware, and it would be longer until it could be archived and played as it should be (torrent lol) on the PC. 

Muz is my close friend and I was talking the piss following a chat we had. I did not think my negs where being monitored and interpreted. But yeh I guess you caught me I meant this to be a shit show anti zelda thread.

3 minutes ago, Oz said:

Muz is my close friend and I was talking the piss following a chat we had. I did not think my negs where being monitored and interpreted.

Fair enough. It's still amusing seeing you pos anything negative about Zelda. Like I said earlier, Zelda being just that good doesn't detract from your favourite. :) 

13 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Fair enough. It's still amusing seeing you pos anything negative about Zelda. Like I said earlier, Zelda being just that good doesn't detract from your favourite. :) 

Bur Zelda is my favourite bro! :lol: Honestly. Well maybe right after horizon come to think of it. I just want all opinions to have a place. And I also don't think it is best game I have ever played. But that's neither here nor there. 

Exactly, @Pob - for me, it's one of the most depressing aspects of the 'gaming community' that in an medium we all proclaim is rich and diverse, there's this binary 'THIS GAME IS BEST I haven't played the others' mentality in what is undoubtedly one of the richest periods in gaming in memory. Christmas was a disappointment, but Q1 has been insane - and that insanity looks to continue with Persona 5 in a couple of weeks. Within that period there are games of many types, all with various qualities and strengths, and it should be something to be overwhelmed by (as I have felt) rather than provoking a mean-spirited picking away at others' preferences. Imagine a similarly rich period in cinema - you'd have (or I'd like to think you'd have) discussion of how great each film was within the context of its genre or, in some cases, defying gender and type, or subverting it, or simply excelling and polishing the strengths of its field. But here, no chance. It's either BEST GAME OF ALL TIME or LOL IT'S RUBBISH. And half the time you're comparing a period drama with an anime with a documentary with an action film.

@Majora - you're right that time is needed to settle on ranking such things. I mean, you've actually got to play all the damn things first, then reflect on them, analyse them, down the line. That's if you want to rank them. Even then, for me, I rarely do the end-of-year-awards thing, and I rarely did with films - and when I did, I'd probably change my mind some years down the line. Because again, it's hard to say documentary x is better than musical y. If this is supposed to be a diverse field and not just a bunch of empty archetypes, then I'll have, like I always do, immense difficulty saying x is better than y. I already find it almost impossible - and more to the point, meaningless - to compare Yakuza to Horizon. I just know they're both great games that do brilliant things with what they're trying to achieve. I dare say when I play Zelda I'll feel the same. But I'm not so sure I'll think it necessarily 'better' or 'worse' than either of those two. Just different and maybe brilliant in different ways. Like lots of the films or books I love.

All I really know is there'll only be a handful of games I truly loved at the end of the year, but this year that handful is likely to be significantly bigger than it was last year. Especially once TLOU2 comes out and a certain online shooter's sequel - again, games that can't be meaningfully judged against whatever it is Zelda does. So yeah, they're all 7/10s for me, until they do come out and I've actually played them, then I might mark them down a bit if I think they genuinely fail to engage. But all this awards stuff is largely nonsense at the best of times, and right now it's a simple invitation to blinkered expressions of allegiance to something you currently love as opposed to something you've never played (or something in a genre you don't much care for anyway). There's little actual criticism, and little appetite for criticism from others.

But maybe that's just gamers in general - and the medium too, for that matter. Maybe it's just not mature enough for criticism, either taking it or giving it. It all seems so terribly defensive and scared, for something that's supposedly so joyous.

I just file Zelda in the same cabinet as all of the other Zeldas. I've enjoyed each one to an extent but there's just something about them that annoys me. I can't put my finger on what it is, but it's there in every single one. *Shrug*

Now Nier Automata, that's the game of the quarter so far.

They got Billy last night crossing over into Ask the Forum. He managed to convince an overseer that he loved Zelda the most. But then a cleaner heard him humming the intro song from Resident Evil 7 just as he was about to leave Discussion and alerted the sentinels. He tried to convince them it was actually a mangled version of the Hyrule overworld theme, but it was too late, a quick audit revealed a post in the E3 2015 thread where he mentioned framerate concerns. Then they sent him to the Rep Finder General, it was all over at that point.

7 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I just file Zelda in the same cabinet as all of the other Zeldas. I've enjoyed each one to an extent but there's just something about them that annoys me. I can't put my finger on what it is, but it's there in every single one. *Shrug*

Now Nier Automata, that's the game of the quarter so far.

YES M8!!

2 hours ago, Gorf King said:

I think the conclusion we can draw from this thread is that a thread basically asking people which is the best game they're playing at the moment isn't very useful when they're usually not playing the other games on the list and haven't even finished the game they're playing that they like. So yeah, great thread, would do again next month.

Yeah, still doesn't excuse the ignorance of criticising a game you haven't played at all over an issue that most players who have, and who recognise the issue, still conclude it's totally playable and enjoyable and rate it GOAT, or whatever.

To then go on about the importance of PC archiving, when we're talking about a brand new game on brand new hardware, is, well, trolling. 

In short people shouldn't talk shit and not expect any comeback.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, still doesn't excuse the ignorance of criticising a game you haven't played at all over an issue that most players who have, and who recognise the issue, still conclude it's totally playable and enjoyable and rate it GOAT, or whatever.

To then go on about the importance of PC archiving, when we're talking about a brand new game on brand new hardware, is, well, trolling. 

In short people shouldn't talk shit and not expect any comeback.

I don't know why you're quoting my post to make this comment, since it has nothing to do with it. But since you have, let me say this.

That last line is almost exactly what you said about the abuse, advice to commit suicide, and DDOS attacks launched at a certain video game reviewer because he gave a certain game 7/10. He should have expected it given what he'd said about the game.

I mean, my post up there was not aimed at you, or Zelda, or anything in particular other than the semi-toxic, sometimes somewhat blinkered, nature of game 'appreciation' and criticism, and calling into doubt the usefulness of awards given in this context. But since you've made that about Zelda again (other games have been criticised in this and other threads, you know?) and applied the same terminology to a guy criticising some technical aspects of Zelda here - and I think you implied that critic who'd played the game was trolling too - I think you do have to ask yourself why you're making such a big deal of criticisms of this one game, and not all the others on the forum that are currently getting ripped to bits for various reasons.

I mean, you can see what the problem is, I'm sure. The problem is, I'm not sure why you're talking about this guy who said the framerate and res in Zelda is poor when my post is nothing about that at all. And going to lengths to justify any form of 'comeback' against these trolls who criticise Zelda in response to a post that has nothing to do with it.

This is basically the issue with games appreciation and critical comparison in a nutshell. It's more like taking a series of sides in a gang war than it is an appreciation or criticism of art, or even of entertainment. It's like the Untouchables. They put one of your guys in hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue. They were asking for it.

Unless that's not what you mean, and all you're doing is saying 'I am allowed to comment on criticism'. But why even bother saying that? Is anyone saying you can't? And why go out of your way to say it here? Like, there's a problem here, isn't there - what is it you're trying to defend, exactly?

Sterling? Not only would he expect it, he encourages it. But whatever.

As for the rest of your post. All I was doing was pointing out how ridiculous it is to criticise a game you haven't played. I consider that trolling, so there you go. Not you, but generally, and specifically the guy I'm this thread.

Sorry if you feel I dragged you into it.

7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Fucking hell, it sounds that you're actually arguing that someone deserves to be DDoSd for giving away game 7/10. Please tell me I'm misunderstanding and you're not.

Yes I think he should be tortured to death.

Just now, El Spatula said:

So have you played all of the other games on the list then? Or should we limit voting to only those who've played and completed all of them?

Is that to everyone? I've played Nioh, Zelda, and Horizon. They're all excellent and any of them would be GOTY material in any other month, but Zelda is something else.oh, played Halo Wars 2, too.

Just now, El Spatula said:

So have you played all of the other games on the list then? Or should we limit voting to only those who've played and completed all of them?

PSA: Please no one has to play halo wars in order to vote. God i hate I even added a poll to this. Fucking hell. :facepalm:

1 minute ago, El Spatula said:

I've played...7 of them. 3 of which I've put more than 10 hours in, 2 I've put 4-5 hours in, and 2 I've hardly played. I will admit I've not tried Yakuza 0 or Halo Wars 2, but neither really interest me. 

Can I vote?

10 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

What's that got to do with anything?

Stanley said it was "ridiculous" to heavily criticize a game you hadn't played - he said nothing about voting (for games you either had or hadn't played). I can look at that list and say which game I think is best from those I've played. I can't look at that list and tell you, with any degree of authority or honesty, what's wrong with those I haven't.

22 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Sterling? Not only would he expect it, he encourages it. But whatever.

As for the rest of your post. All I was doing was pointing out how ridiculous it is to criticise a game you haven't played. I consider that trolling, so there you go. Not you, but generally, and specifically the guy I'm this thread.

:bye:

Hi, my name is Isaac, not "guy".

It's trolling to criticise something you haven't played? Really? Even when that criticism is based on performance concerns? 

Performance is something that can easily be measured by video, but that's beside the point. 

I'm not even saying its terrible, I'm saying that for me, i couldn't get past the performance issues. 

It's really interesting seeing the cognitive dissonance going on in the gaming industry (and in nerd culture in general) whereby some people feel the need to defend something they like, rather than have a considered debate about it.

Gorf nailed it when he said it was like gang warfare.

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I can't look at that list and tell you, with any degree of authority or honesty, what's wrong with those I haven't.

Of course you can. You can share what's wrong with them in your eyes. Why haven't you played them? What's putting you off? Is there anything you don't like about the look of the game?

All valid points of discussion.

We are people with long working hours looking at things that at best take upwards of 20+ hours to complete, i think by necessity we have to discount some things from our sphere of influence, and it's interesting finding out why.

7 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Of course you can. You can share what's wrong with them in your eyes. Why haven't you played them? What's putting you off? Is there anything you don't like about the look of the game?

All valid points of discussion.

Points of discussion maybe, but, as I said, there is no authority to commenting like that. For example - say I think a game looks shit, I post "This looks shit", but somebody who has played it comes in and says "actually, it's really good". I can't say, no you're wrong mate - I have no basis to form a reasoned, well-informed opinion. I'm just guessing.

I can say something doesn't look like it's my cup of tea, I can say I've not liked previous games in the series etc - but I can't just proclaim it's terrible and there is no way i'd ever like it as I have no idea if that's actually true or not.

Just now, rgraves said:

I can say something doesn't look like it's my cup of tea, I can say I've not liked previous games in the series etc - but I can't just proclaim it's terrible and there is no way i'd ever like it as I have no idea if that's true or not.

Agreed, but I don't see anybody doing that.

All I see is @Stanley attempting to thought police other people's opinions, and using spurious reasoning to justify the tendency for some video game fans to grab their pitchforks in defense of their favourite games. 

17 minutes ago, rgraves said:

What's that got to do with anything?

Stanley said it was "ridiculous" to heavily criticize a game you hadn't played - he said nothing about voting (for games you either had or hadn't played). I can look at that list and say which game I think is best from those I've played. I can't look at that list and tell you, with any degree of authority or honesty, what's wrong with those I haven't.

To be fair for some posters what they'll vote for is a foregone conclusion ;)

Well, this thread is a good demonstration of why you need some arsehole to be upfront with unreasonable criticism in the actual poll results: it gets the infighting out of the way. 

24 minutes ago, Isaac said:

:bye:

Hi, my name is Isaac, not "guy".

It's trolling to criticise something you haven't played? Really? Even when that criticism is based on performance concerns? 

Performance is something that can easily be measured by video, but that's beside the point. 

I'm not even saying its terrible, I'm saying that for me, i couldn't get past the performance issues. 

It's really interesting seeing the cognitive dissonance going on in the gaming industry (and in nerd culture in general) whereby some people feel the need to defend something they like, rather than have a considered debate about it.

Gorf nailed it when he said it was like gang warfare.

Gang Warfare? Hahaha. You're free to raise your concerns, as long as recognise that that's all they are at this point. Until you have played it you can't reasonably criticise such issues.

All I can offer you is this. PC Master Race who, as you'll deduce from his name, has a PC which laughs in the face of dual Titan X's, loves Zelda. He has even suggested it's the best game he's ever played. When you're playing Zelda at 60fps in 4K he'll be playing it in 8K at 120fps. He's not blind to the frame rate issues in Zelda, but he hasn't let it tarnish his overall opinion. 

Anyway, carry on.

I'm also a frame rate whore who loves Zelda. I love how Nintendo target 60fps with everything else they do.

Skyrim is unplayable at anything less than 60fps, because I play it in first-person. I've gone to great lengths to optimise it on my laptop. Zelda looks like a Ghibli film at 30fps. It's perfectly fine.

20fps is understandable given the amount of effects going on. It'd be better if it didn't dip at times, but it's not a big deal. The GPU in my computer shits the bed/BSOD if I try throwing the same amount of stuff at it on Skyrim, and that's at 720p.