Polybius. Jeff Minter's new game

Flub

Had a quick fifteen minutes blast. It's surprisingly quite relaxing and satifying when you get chains of horns!

Find the controls when you transfer to the high walls ceiling a bit not intuitive though but probably will make sense with more time.

it is silky smooth and utterly engaging with zero discomfort in VR. It will take me a long time to get into the zone with this one (as it did with Space Giraffe) and the scoring is a little impenetrable for now but so enjoyable just zooming along and playing and learnign the visual/audio cues gradually

oSBxbaJcZMmU8.gif

31 minutes ago, Flub said:

How is it close to Space Giraffe? It's literally nothing like it.

in the sense that scoring mechanisms are not spelled out for you, the enemy patterns aren't spelled out you have to learn them. The visual/audio style is gorgeous and complex meaning you have to learn the visual and audio cues to be able to effectively play.

Basically I can see the great unwashed saying "I can't see what is going on" exactly as they did with Space Giraffe. They will of course be wrong :D

EDIT -  I will say that I don't hink it is as visually/aurally complex as Space Giraffe but it is certainly more dense and complex than TxK - and I welcome that :D

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

Hold X for 20 seconds in game and dont take any hits. Then hold square, release X and press options whilst still holding square.  TxK unlocks in VR. The whole game. In full VR. 

I wish.

I negged you because I nearly jumped off my work chair with excitement.

Wanker.

;)

This is far more accessible and instantly gratifying to play than I'd expected when first seeing the footage. It's slickly made, comfortable to play in VR, and the core idea of steering through the gates, dodging shit, and shooting at things that make nice noises is pretty easy to grasp and fun to play without even considering how it affects your score.

Like Rez, it's immediately clear that this is a PSVR essential. Even if you're not really into shooters very much.

Looks and sounds Spectrumtastic in a totally modern way. Not entirely sure how to best go about scoring but I'm 28th on the Pure leaderboard after my first go so I'll take that as a sign that no else does either.

Oddly relaxing to play.

Ordered the OST on the way home from work but my stupid Paypal was using a defunct email address so I didn't get the link. Managed to sort it out with an email to Bandcamp and Junosix kindly sorted it out for me.

This is the Llamasoft Moosician equivalent of Roger Waters personally answering enquiries about Pink Floyd as far as I'm concerned.

Now to buy the game. And the t-shirt. And that thong..

I'm afraid I'm really not feeling this at all. I don't really understand what the game wants me to do. It seems to be an avoid-em-up where the best strategy is to stay still and shoot everything out the way, only moving when something indestructible appears. There's all sorts of commotion going on everywhere which seems to indicate that there's a hell of a lot more too it than that but if I move about I die. Every time.

Try to go for a gate: lose a shield.

Try to shoot that thingy: lose a shield.

Try to go upside down: lose a shield.

Stay stock still and barely move: success!

Which is fine until you get to the level with the slalom flags and it's a difficulty spike of Expert Level 7 proportions.

It looks like an incredible game to play if you're really good at it but it's doing a really bad job of helping me get to that point. I probably need to play it when I'm less tired.

Right, this is good, but fuck me, 0 to vomit within a few minutes for me in VR. Not unusual for me at least. Anyway it's classic Minter, ergo, Tempest. 

(I own a jaguar just to play Tempest 2000 and txk on the vita...help)

I'm making up through the levels now (level 30, 7th on Leaderboard) and liking the progression and slow increase in difficulty. The ski levels are definitely my favourite at this point.

One thing is I think it's a bit of a crap game outside of VR. I tried and I just couldn't play it. It's all about moving between the gaps and it just doesn't feel right and it's impossible to judge. It also looks a bit boring on a telly too.

8 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Hopefully we'll start seeing some stock clearance VR headsets sooner or later to free up shelf space. Then I can play this as nature intended.

sssh, no one tell them that Sony have just increased PSVR production because of demand. It'll make posts like the one above even funnier.

however, there's a new headset+camera bundle on the way, so that might see a repositioning of the original sky, so...

Great development diary. I'm kinda not suprised at the quote below, as I've been thinking today how difficult it must be to get the feeling right in VR (and potentially not the same feeling outside or VR - watching footage of VR game is often, pointless):

"I began to build an editor that functioned inside of VR, allowing you to adjust and animate the parameters that generated the environments and see the results floating all around you as you worked."

5 minutes ago, JPickford said:

All this exclusive stuff is killing VR.   Who can afford multiple VR hats?

That's why it's timed? I think it's a good thing that exclusives are happening, if it's helping to bring more developers to making VR content through money hats.

Just now, MW_Jimmy said:

That's why it's timed? I think it's a good thing that exclusives are happening, if it's helping to bring more developers to making VR content through money hats.

I disagree; the market is small as yet.  Too small to be splintered.   I don't blame devs for taking the deals but I think it's bad for VR while it's trying to get off the ground.

Just now, JPickford said:

I disagree; the market is small as yet.  Too small to be splintered.   I don't blame devs for taking the deals but I think it's bad for VR while it's trying to get off the ground.

But if it's all timed exclusive, then everything will end up everywhere? I'm fine with that. I agree that there shouldn't be true exclusives at this early stage though (unless first party), and that would be detrimental.