Polybius. Jeff Minter's new game

Flub

As I get deeper in, I can't always tell whether certain effects are intended or my headset is going wonky. Either way, it serves as a good drug simulator.

I like the music for 21-25 but I'm already at the point where I'll be damned if I know what's going on half the time. Just shootin' 'n  hopin' for the best.

Everyone currently sucks.

C_kFJRDWAAActqN.jpg

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Have any big sites even covered it or mentioned the launch yet? I haven't seen any.

embarrasingly I did drop a line to Eurogamer asking if they were going to review and Oli Welsh replied saying they would never miss a Minter game and Kristan Donlan was doing one.

So that was nice.

5 minutes ago, Clipper said:

embarrasingly I did drop a line to Eurogamer asking if they were going to review and Oli Welsh replied saying they would never miss a Minter game and Kristan Donlan was doing one.

So that was nice.

I was thinking of doing this earlier, tbh. It deserves bags of attention. I haven't even got the kit to play it yet, but from the videos that have been shared it looks frankly astonishing. I'm going to end up selling vital organs to get if I can't raise some cash in the near future...

I personally don't think it's very good outside of VR. Its scale is all wrong, and it's genuinely too difficult to navigate, and the geometric patterns that look incredible in VR, actually looks a bit rubbish on a TV. IMHO.

I am way way earlier than that but loving it - in one of the earlier levels it seems to replace certain types of enemies with immovable spikes when you shoot them, is that right

if so genius as I had kept my thumb on X up til then :D

5 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I am way way earlier than that but loving it - in one of the earlier levels it seems to replace certain types of enemies with immovable spikes when you shoot them, is that right

if so genius as I had kept my thumb on X up til then :D

That's right yeah. I just shoot them and dodge inbetween!

Second session on this tonight and it has me convinced it's up there with the best of Minter and my favourite since Space Giraffe. Fantastic music, wonderful little audio and visual clues, the brilliant progression system he's had going for a while now (which never feels cheap)...and the thing I wasn't really expecting which is (so far) the variety between levels. In fact in this respect it reminds me of Revenge of the Mutant Camels with the themed levels. And of course 120FPS and super comfortable to play...despite the crazy fireworks exploding in your eyes.

Of course those versions of TxK have never been released, for reasons I don’t need to belabour here. However it is not out of the question that there may yet be some way for that work to see the light of day again. We’ll see.

Do it Jeff!!!

22 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

That's why it's timed? I think it's a good thing that exclusives are happening, if it's helping to bring more developers to making VR content through money hats.

God I really hope you were one of the ones cheering MS on when they moneyhatted Tomb Raider timed exclusivity onto XboxOne to ensure it got made.   ;) 

12 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

God I really hope you were one of the ones cheering MS on when they moneyhatted Tomb Raider timed exclusivity onto XboxOne to ensure it got made.   ;) 

why would you hope that?

Not hoping to stir up some fanboy shit I hope.

That stuff has no place here go back to the Xbox One or PS4 threads to carry on that sort of nonsense.

16 minutes ago, Clipper said:

why would you hope that?

Not hoping to stir up some fanboy shit I hope.

That stuff has no place here go back to the Xbox One or PS4 threads to carry on that sort of nonsense.

Well, I'll break it down for you. I hope he was as happy for MS to moneyhat Tomb Raider into existence as he is for Sony to moneyhat VR games into existence.  

I didn't expect it would confuse anyone.  That's the last timed exclusive I can remember that caused an uproar at the time.  Just wondering about the change of heart on the matter. :)

the idea of llamasoft getting a "moneyhat" is hilarious

they were bunged a few quid that has kept them in curry and animal feed for a few months a far cry from "moneyhats" which are big cash inducements to big devs for AAA games.

4 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Well, I'll break it down for you. I hope he was as happy for MS to moneyhat Tomb Raider into existence as he is for Sony to moneyhat VR games into existence.  

I didn't expect it would confuse anyone.  That's the last timed exclusive I can remember that caused an uproar at the time.  Just wondering about the change of heart on the matter. :)

patronise me all you like just go back to your fanboy corner please (xbox or ps4 thread I dont mind which) and take this shitposting with you :D

"oh I hope you are as happy with X as you are now with Y becuase I prefer X and you prefer Y..."  listen to yourself you are meant to be an adult and you are trying to get people to admit to hypocrisy about videogames based on who is in who's camp... jeeze

17 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

If I really believe that Square-Enix needed the money to finish Tomb Raider, a game with history, pedigree and a fanbase (mostly on the other console), then sure I'm happy Microsoft helped out a multinational publisher and developer.

Have you played Polybius yet? Do you like it? Note that this is the Polybius thread.

3 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Have you played Polybius yet? Do you like it? Note that this is the Polybius thread.

Not yet.  Waiting on more forumite impressions. I'm a little wary of Minter games lately as they all seem to have the Minter style that I guess I don't connect with anymore .  I loved his games from the 90's.