Polybius. Jeff Minter's new game

Flub

39 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Not yet.  Waiting on more forumite impressions. I'm a little wary of Minter games lately as they all seem to have the Minter style that I guess I don't connect with anymore .  I loved his games from the 90's. 

which of his games from the 90s did you like

which games from his more recent games didn't you like

I'm up to about level 15-16 at the moment (The upside down one where you have to maintain a deflector). Just under 20 million. Loving it. The Minter "Fuck you mate" starts shining through at level 13 :)

Is this really no good outside of VR?

I need to play this, more than Rez and while I had some lust for a VR headset esp after some time on one I got past that with them not being available and now I don't think I can justify buying one anymore :(

Yeah I agree with pretty much everything you just said.

Also I think the audio is a bit quiet, it was brought up earlier today (by Strider I think) and I thought it was his cans being too heavyweight for the VR amp, but I experience the same on both my AKG but also my Sennheiser earbuds. I want it to be LOUDER.

Fortunately I've got a headphone amp, just need to dig into the cable hell for the proper connection shite.

I simply love it, in the classic way that sees Jeff never compromising his style or approach to development.

As Uncle Nasty said above this is the game that I always wanted to play when i was a kid, jumping inside the arcade machine and being surrounded by the graphics and sounds from that era. Even though it holds that feel it's utterly modern in its approach and easily stands alongside its contemporaries like Thumper and dare I say Rez.

7 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

Also I think the audio is a bit quiet, it was brought up earlier today (by Strider I think) and I thought it was his cans being too heavyweight for the VR amp, but I experience the same on both my AKG but also my Sennheiser earbuds. I want it to be LOUDER.

Yes it is a bit quiet, I'm playing on a 2.1 setup and have to raise the volume a good few notches above other games. Have to say I smiled a lot at the ZX Spectrum loading sound in one of the early levels seeing as we're talking about audio.

7 minutes ago, hat said:

I simply love it, in the classic way that sees Jeff never compromising his style or approach to development.

I did worry after Space Giraffe that Jeff was paying too much attention to the wider community regarding accessibility, but Polybius is fucking nails once it gets going. It's confident and uncompromising but with a sensible learning curve. I just love the sensation of being completely overwhelmed and transported to somewhere otherworldly and figuring out what the hell is going on, and once the levels get into double digits you'll pretty much be laughing and swearing constantly in equal measure.

I think the audio is a bit hit and miss. I love the background music, but some of the sound effects sound flat and harsh, no doubt due to their 8 bit heritage. It also lacks low-end, some subbass would have been amazing. Personally I would have gone for a slightly mellower/warmer edge around the sounds and try to make it a bit more spatial and coherent.

That said, when it all comes together it's just amazing, I had some genuine Hillary moments already

hillary-gif-seizure.gif

11 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It's confident and uncompromising but with a sensible learning curve. I just love the sensation of being completely overwhelmed and transported to somewhere otherworldly and figuring out what the hell is going on, and once the levels get into double digits you'll pretty much be laughing and swearing constantly in equal measure.

I find it pretty tough and visually overwhelming (and I'm only at level 3 but loaded up on the THC beforehand), but it's no punishment to play the same sections over and over.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Is this really no good outside of VR?

I need to play this, more than Rez and while I had some lust for a VR headset esp after some time on one I got past that with them not being available and now I don't think I can justify buying one anymore :(

I just tried it without VR. It loses a lot of what I like about it in translation and is also quite a bit harder to judge things.

If anything the experience made me appreciate it all the more in VR. The lighting (which comes at the cost of the epilepsy warning) is something that should be experienced from inside a headset.

Well, I meant more the whole beat integration, synaesthesia and running evolution theme and underground techno producers soundtrack and all that. This is a lightsynth blaster, the feverish imagination of an 80s videogame designer on acid. It's fucking insane, in a good way. I adore it. And yeah, the music is really, really good.

Aaand finished!

I finished on 97 million which should put me at No. 1 on the leader-board but it seems a little slow to update so I'll settle for No. 2. I think the last two levels are probably the best overall, but the journey to get there is fantastic. It definitely feels like one of Minters easier games and it's actually going to be quite nice to try and start from the beginning and start to score attack in a little more - and the pure mode (play all 50 levels in one go) feels like it might actually be do-able. I can see myself playing a lot of it in VR, just because its so damn comfortable - it's almost shocking, still, how relaxing the game is to play.

Also, when you finish you should hang around on the end screen for a while because it's pretty nice.

And then I had a nice bug when I switched VR off:

I don't have a PSVR but playing it in 3D on the projector is intense enough! It's like an 1980s Usborne Book of Computers prediction of what computer games in the future were going to be like.

I've only played in quick bursts so not that far yet. The second 'Uncle Clive' themed level (the one that starts upside down) is wonderful. -- When a level clicks and you're just soaring along... it reminds me of the best 'flying' bits of Super Mario Galaxy in that respect.

I think it's a real shame that Minter doesn't get recognition from the UK games industry establishment, awards, etc. in the same way your Peter Molyneuxs and David Brabens do. Llamasoft are the longest continuously running games studio in Europe (I think?) at this point and their output in the past decade has been incredibly prolific with no drop in standards. Yet you still get dickholes going "hurr hurr it's just Tempest/Robotron/Defender again" every time.

This is the best Minter game I've played. 

Both aesthetically in VR and mechanically as a game. The risk/reward of the gates makes a lot more sense to me than some of his other mechanics and it's like I'm living in a 80s UK version of Tron.

Finished it. I think it's in my top 10 games of all time. The final level is just a beautiful gift from Jeff - a virtual pat on the back.

Is is there a extra skill level after you finish the game? I couldn't find one, but classic mode starts with the word 'standard' in the top left corner, almost like you can reply the levels on turbo or pure mode...

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? - early on when you get to a level with what looks like golf pins - I cannot seem to go past them or knock them down most of the time and lose all my shields after about 1 minute.