Polybius. Jeff Minter's new game

Flub

6 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? - early on when you get to a level with what looks like golf pins - I cannot seem to go past them or knock them down most of the time and lose all my shields after about 1 minute.

What you're doing wrong is thinking of them as golf pins. Ask yourself, what would Horace do?

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Anyone able to answer the above question about level 43? I too am getting utterly mashed in seconds on that level

If only I wasn't so shit at the game and managing about level 10 before my brain explodes. 

Such a beautiful, beautiful brain. Ruined by my old brain and reactions of drying tarmac :(

I still play it everynight before bed in VR though just cos. IT'S SO FUCKING BRILLIANT!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely adore this game. It's about the only VR game / experience that I'd decide to fire up when in the mood for relaxation. This no doubt seems a little strange seeing as the whole thing is such an assault on the senses, but when you get into the zone, the hours just fly by. It's about the only thing I've played in VR that I can tolerate for such sustained periods of time. I get quite sicky feeling while playing most things, but that's just not the case with the mighty 'Lybius! Guessing its the 120fps smoothness, combined with the constant straight-ahead viewpoint.

One thing, though, I wish there was a soundtrack randomizer / shuffle option. With the tunes shifting every 5 levels in standard mode, it means you only really get to hear the same 10 or so tracks from a possible 33 on the soundtrack. Listening to the OST on Bandcamp, I'm coming across a few gorgeous gems that I haven't encountered in-game yet despite racking up hours of play. Admittedly, I've only really briefly dabbled (and subsequently bombed - I'm not very good) in Pure and YOLO modes, so that's maybe where some of these tunes are hiding.

But, yeah, really hoping we see TxK make its way onto PSVR. Never managed to play it, and would be happy to hold off until I can play it for the first time in VR.

I'm very much the same! It's my go-to VR game and I'm quite happy just playing from level one and seeing how far I get.

I'd recommend playing the other modes because the soundtrack is different (or its perhaps set in a different order - still unsure on the details!)

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed there is a trophy in Polybius that nobody has managed to get. The same thing was true of TxK - in that case, it was due to extreme difficulty plus later revealed to be an actual bug. Minter basically refused to patch it, saying it wasn't financially viable or something.

Much as I loved the game, at that point I decided to approach future Llamasoft releases with caution. So I'm curious about Polybius. The trophy doesn't seem like it would be so hard (go five levels without losing a shield) so I'm inclined to think it's another bug that will never be fixed. Has anyone attempted it?

8 hours ago, S0L said:

This gets my seal of approval!

I'll buy Jeff a pint if he is at Play Blackpool this weekend!

Do you know if he is there this weekend? He needs to bring TxK VR! 

You there S0L? - showing anything?

• 3 weeks later...

Bought tonight, played classic and YOLO modes, love it but I have many questions! All presumably relate to the first 9 levels as I dont have the trophy for getting to level 10, but I didnt have much idea what level I was on at any given point.

There was one that had all these stalagtites sticking out of the ground, they appeared to be indestructible and any attempt to navigate through them towards the gates just hammered all my shields down to 0. Am I correct to just avoid them altogether?

Sometimes my ship had a wireframe ball around it. Is this invincibility? How did I get it?

The last level I got to had giant flag poles, alternating red and blue. If I dodged them, I would lose a shield. If I flew directly into them I would be OK, except then I would inexplicably lose a shield doing that too. Which is it?

Thanks for any tips you guys can give me.

Just now, Darwock said:

Bought tonight, played classic and YOLO modes, love it but I have many questions! All presumably relate to the first 9 levels as I dont have the trophy for getting to level 10, but I didnt have much idea what level I was on at any given point.

There was one that had all these stalagtites sticking out of the ground, they appeared to be indestructible and any attempt to navigate through them towards the gates just hammered all my shields down to 0. Am I correct to just avoid them altogether?

Sometimes my ship had a wireframe ball around it. Is this invincibility? How did I get it?

The last level I got to had giant flag poles, alternating red and blue. If I dodged them, I would lose a shield. If I flew directly into them I would be OK, except then I would inexplicably lose a shield doing that too. Which is it?

Thanks for any tips you guys can give me.

This game is pure Jeff Minter, in that it looks insane and impenetrable when you first see it, but you come to learn that everything has a reason, a sound cue, or a purpose.  When you know all these things, you end up in the zone, reacting to everything at once through instinct.

The invincible stalactites form when you shoot something else, so try to avoid shooting those things.

When you shoot multiple enemies in a row your multiplier increases.  Manoeuvring through the gates increases this also.  You end up with a deflector shield, and if you keep topping this up before it is allowed to run down you get the protective ball.

The flag poles - ever played Waverace? Think of a ski slope.

So I just need to alternate sides? It doesn't matter if I go left or right on the first one as long as the next is the other side?

You know, I have no history of epilepsy or seizures in my family but the heavy warnings at the beginning and then the strobing colours as you boost through the end of the levels did make me a little nervous - I wondered if maybe I should close my eyes to escape the visual assault at some points!

I'm really surprised Sony allowed it to go ahead in this form actually. I remember back in the days of Wipeout HD reading about how the original Zone mode design had to be toned down significantly because it didn't meet safety criteria for epilepsy.