IGNORED

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - Add your tag to the list in the OP

Padaxes

@Alan Stock I'm not actually sure hiding/camping is the best strategy; in fact I'd say it's the opposite.  People get too bogged down in amassing loot from houses while doing their utmost to avoid being seen or making any noise at all - but you get the best results by grabbing as many guns & armour as you can initially and then playing aggressively to kill other players.  In mid-to-end game the best loot is off other people's corpses and you don't get those unless you're out there killin', because nobody's going to be coming into your bathroom base from the 2nd or 3rd circle onwards.

Constantly moving from cover to cover is also much more effective than hiding in one spot for 20 minutes, and most of the time standing on the side of a small hill with a tree behind you is much better cover and provides much better visibility of threats than trapping yourself in a house.

Ignoring his 80s sci-fi B movie character shtick, I found it a real eye-opener to watch how Dr Disrespect actually plays the game:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157408148

(30 minute video of him getting a 12-kill win - it's entertaining and educational, I promise!)

edit - high five @macosx

I think most of our chicken dinners come when we manage to tread a fine line between looting, camping in buildings and moving quickly out in the open to get to our next destination while also having lots of luck with circle placement.

I like to camp in toilets with a shotgun pointed at the door as much as the next guy, but I know full well I'm not going to win anything like that.

26 minutes ago, spork said:

I like to camp in toilets with a shotgun pointed at the door as much as the next guy, but I know full well I'm not going to win anything like that.

Unless the circle closes in on your bathroom. Unlikely I know, but strange things happen in this game.

I do agree with @PK though, although I'm not good enough to play aggressively. I collect all the loot, die first and then the rest of the squad uses me as a loot pinata and go on to get the dinner. I'm comfortable with my role in the group.

The new patch has made it so you can get one of two different crates, and tells you whats in each.  I got one, but the type with nothing in I wanted, so just made a cool £1.07 selling it unopened on the market place. :D

I find the length of the average round makes it difficult to play aggressively with confidence, because you end up juggling two urges - one to advance on people, take shots, keeping moving, etc, and the other to hunker down and protect the gear that it's taken you 25-30 minutes to amass.  There's been so many times when I've been killed by someone who managed to get into a good position because I didn't take a shot at them when I had the chance because I wanted to protect my precious level 3 armour and Kar98

I'm really looking forward to first person mode now, does anyone know what time the patch goes live?  And are we playing squads when it does @Scruff & @spork?  The Trash group seems to have annoyed each other so much that we've split into three different Discords :lol:

Just now, PK said:

I find the length of the average round makes it difficult to play aggressively with confidence, because you end up juggling two urges - one to advance on people, take shots, keeping moving, etc, and the other to hunker down and protect the gear that it's taken you 25-30 minutes to amass.  There's been so many times when I've been killed by someone who managed to get into a good position because I didn't take a shot at them when I had the chance because I wanted to protect my precious level 3 armour and Kar98

I'm really looking forward to first person mode now, does anyone know what time the patch goes live?  And are we playing squads when it does @Scruff & @spork?  The Trash group seems to have annoyed each other so much that we've split into three different Discords :lol:

Patch should be live now but you can only first person in solo or duo atm :(

It is, but wow, first person is something else. Hands are still shaking! :D

Protip: don't use iron sights on the scar if you're playing FPP. You can't see shit. You also can't look directly behind you unless you stop and turn around so the potential for stalking is moistening. Driving is going to be a nightmare in anything other than the jeep though. You can't see what's in front of you and you lurch all over the place. I dread to think what a bike at full speed will do.

On 17/07/2017 at 13:46, Strategos said:

Ouch!  It's early access and is improving in terms of optimisation but it still needs a bit of grunt.

Check out the pc building thread 

I'd think the Soda Popinski ? (scroll down in first post for recommended builds - i don't like radion cards myself though). At home I run it successfully on an old i5 and a GTX 970.

Edit: At work I have a pentium 3.2ghz with a GTX 1060 and it's playable at min settings, just about....

That's weird, I have a 1060 GTX 6GB and I run this fine on Ultra - although I do have my processor overclocked to 4ghz. Perhaps it's more processor based rather than GFX card?

Just now, Isaac said:

That's weird, I have a 1060 GTX 6GB and I run this fine on Ultra - although I do have my processor overclocked to 4ghz. Perhaps it's more processor based rather than GFX card?

Yeah my processor is dogshit, it's def that.

17 minutes ago, PK said:

I think it's fairly processor-heavy, my 1070 gets bottlenecked at about 85% by my 4ghz i7 3770

Stupid question but how do you determine that the 1070 is bottlenecked by the CPU at a certain percentage? I'm running a 1070 and a i5 6600K at about 4.2ghz and all seems fine at 1440p ultra - similar-ish specs to you?

So I think one of the golden rules of PC gaming is "If it all seems fine, then don't start looking at the stats"! 

That said - monitor your GPU load with something like GPU-Z or similar, and if you're getting framerate issues but the GPU isn't at 100% utilisation, then your CPU is bottlenecking it.

It's good to hear that other non-camping strats are also good 'uns. I was going off what that Eurogamer guide said (which stated that many of the top rankers use these tactics) and some of the videos/streams I've watched.

I think the first person mode is a great addition and will become the accepted norm. It adds immersion to what's already a very immersive experience.

I liken the experience of playing these types of games to the rush you get playing paintball. It takes you to a state of tension and vulnerability that gives you some small sense of how terrifying, tense and exciting military combat must be in real life. Even when nothing is really happening you are on edge and have to be vigilant as anyone could appear at any time and you only have one life. The stakes are high and every decision matters.

I've always loved these kind of games and I'm not surprised this has proved such a big hit. If you follow the inception of this genre it started with Operation Flashpoint which at the time was groundbreaking - these huge open environments dotted with enemy patrols, vehicles and outposts with foes that could kill you in a few shots, and long missions where dying meant starting over from the beginning. Then that became Arma (basically the same thing) and then Day-Z built on the multiplayer, and proved the concept of the open world with realistic environment and combat. Combined with permadeath and unpredictable player behaviour that was perfect as a multiplayer experience. And lo and behold, Playerunknown sees this and applies the Battle Royale concept to Day Z for his first mod, and out of that idea came Battlegrounds as we know it today. It's using the same core concept as Operation Flashpint but refined it, and merged it with the Battle Royale idea, it's just a great combo. I would love to see more ideas thrown into the Battle Royale formula whilst keeping these realistic elements. Looking forward to seeing how the zombie mode turns out. It could well turn into a better Day Z, or might spawn other mods in the same vein as Day Z but with better gameplay. Good stuff.

Seriously laggy experience ATM. I don't know if they've done something with this (admittedly big) patch, or if it's just the usual Russian suspects; I would think it is. 

I thought I was a bad shot but 1st person has exposed this truth to be a lie. I'm actually far far worse than a bad shot :(

I usually play with Anti-aliasing at High or Ultra and Textures at Medium or High because I have eyes, but I thought I'd try Low and Very Low settings across the board to see what performance was like.

Looks like total arse (and YouTube massacres how... spiky everything looks), but it feels so different when you rarely drop under 100fps.

Of course, in this test game I looted for about 10 minutes then got shot dead from an unknown position as I approached some houses at the edge of the 3rd or 4th circle without having seen a single other player, so not everything changes.

16 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

I usually play with Anti-aliasing at High or Ultra and Textures at Medium or High because I have eyes, but I thought I'd try Low and Very Low settings across the board to see what performance was like.

Looks like total arse (and YouTube massacres how... spiky everything looks), but it feels so different when you rarely drop under 100fps.

Of course, in this test game I looted for about 10 minutes then got shot dead from an unknown position as I approached some houses at the edge of the 3rd or 4th circle without having seen a single other player, so not everything changes.

I play with everything on Very Low except textures (Medium) and View Distance (Ultra) and I honestly think it looks sharper than when everything's on High or Ultra.  I don't know whether it's something they're doing with post-processing or anti-aliasing but it looks really blurry on higher settings. Having it nipping along at 130fps is pretty handy too!

Yeah the depth of field stuff he's talking about there doesn't help, but I mean even the edges of trees you're stood right in front of, or grass right next to you - it's bizarrely blurry.  I'll take a screenshot/video of what I'm talking about tonight.

1 hour ago, PK said:

Yeah the depth of field stuff he's talking about there doesn't help, but I mean even the edges of trees you're stood right in front of, or grass right next to you - it's bizarrely blurry.  I'll take a screenshot/video of what I'm talking about tonight.

I don't have the game, but in cases like this you'll often get far better/prettier results by turning off the in-game aa and post-processing, and applying aa through the Nvidia control panel instead

Wonder when first person's coming to other regions.

There's a guy in here and I can cover both exits and wait until he's facing away from me to take him out (which I actually managed to do for once) without ever having to reveal my position once. While I was waiting, another guy ran along outside the wall to the left and I was able to take him out too.

It feels good when you're the one with the advantage in the encounter, but it has the whiff of bullshit about it.

5989264e0e4f4_PlayerUnknownsBattlegrounds08_07.2017-21_54_00_03.thumb.png.a06d5175c0a09de2ddd72d091cff6a1d.png