IGNORED

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - Add your tag to the list in the OP

Padaxes

They both have their place (I own both) but yes, Fortnite is Fisher Price My First Battle Royale compared to PUBG.

I'm still incredibly dubious about PUBG on consoles if they're going to continue with their idea of having cross play. I just don't see how they can do it.

35 minutes ago, snowbind said:

Ok, shall we not mention that Bluehole worked very closely with Epic to help build Pubg and that the Fortnite addition is basically a rushed out hack job designed to capitalise on the momentum Pubg built, using the insider knowledge they had?

I'm not agreeing to that. Fortnite is bad. 

I can see why that’s created some controversy but PUBG wasn’t the first even if the creator did a mod, to think no one would copy the concept is mad - even GTA has a variation of it.

Its a wired elitist attitude esp calling it an insider rush job when the building is so intergral to the game.

Well Fortnite seems fucking awesome so PUBG must be incredible. It’s fun and pretty tense, though it seems that until you’re down to the last few people the building is a fucking stupid thing to do as it just alerts people to your location. Killing someone then camping their pile of shiny loot and killing the people who try to get it seems very effective. I played for about two hours and after being in the first ten to die on my first few goes I just finished third. Felt really exiting.

1 hour ago, ronin said:

It seems to be popular among the Ps4 crowd, though. Wonder why :rolleyes:

Because its its available to play on the console? Is this another sad Xbox conspiracy theory? That people are pretending to enjoy playing something because they love a certain corporation so much?

1 hour ago, snowbind said:

It is terrible though. Being able to build completely undermines one of the core mechanics of pubg.

Which is?

45 minutes ago, snowbind said:

Ok, shall we not mention that Bluehole worked very closely with Epic to help build Pubg and that the Fortnite addition is basically a rushed out hack job designed to capitalise on the momentum Pubg built, using the insider knowledge they had?

I'm not agreeing to that. Fortnite is bad. 

Isn’t PUBG just a rip off of H1Z1 King of the Hill which is apparently just a rip off of a Day Z battle royale mod which is just the concept of the hunger games applied to a game which was just a rip off of battle royale the manga anyway? What exactly do you think they needed to get inside knowledge to see when it’s at least the third game of this exact type already?

5 minutes ago, Scruff said:

They both have their place (I own both) but yes, Fortnite is Fisher Price My First Battle Royale compared to PUBG.

How so? What’s it missing other than realistic graphics? What extra joy will I get out of PUBG? Because Fortnite seems good enough that I might buy the PC version if it’s so much better :) 

What kind of specs does it require? 

8 minutes ago, Broker said:

How so? What’s it missing other than realistic graphics? What extra joy will I get out of PUBG? Because Fortnite seems good enough that I might buy the PC version if it’s so much better :) 

What kind of specs does it require? 

Joy isn't the sort of emotion I attribute to PUBG usually! ;)

It's nothing really to do with the graphics, although they do increase the realism aspect. PUBG has generally a much more varied map, vehicles and the weapon differences are heightened. 

The fact you can't build encampments or smash down a wall to get to someone in a house means you have to be more extreme in your playstyle (either aggressive or passive) in PUBG too.

To use a pretty shit analogy Fortnite is Ridge Racer and PUBG is Gran Turismo. Both great games but very different considering they're both racers.

*edit - spec wise it's a bit of a shit and not well optimised at all on PC. You have to brute force it a bit while Fortnite is silky.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I can see why that’s created some controversy but PUBG wasn’t the first even if the creator did a mod, to think no one would copy the concept is mad - even GTA has a variation of it.

Its a wired elitist attitude esp calling it an insider rush job when the building is so intergral to the game.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Well Fortnite seems fucking awesome so PUBG must be incredible. It’s fun and pretty tense, though it seems that until you’re down to the last few people the building is a fucking stupid thing to do as it just alerts people to your location. Killing someone then camping their pile of shiny loot and killing the people who try to get it seems very effective. I played for about two hours and after being in the first ten to die on my first few goes I just finished third. Felt really exiting.

Isn’t PUBG just a rip off of H1Z1 King of the Hill which is apparently just a rip off of a Day Z battle royale mod which is just the concept of the hunger games applied to a game which was just a rip off of battle royale the manga anyway? What exactly do you think they needed to get inside knowledge to see when it’s at least the third game of this exact type already?

Ok, this is why I think that the Fortnite version as a concept is bad and is shameful on Epic for putting to market. Bluehole and Epic are partners. Bluehole licenced the Unreal Engine and worked closely with Epic to make changes to accommodate the game mode. Brendan Greene the head designer of Pubg created the DayZ:Battle Royale mod, himself. He is arguably the genus of this entire genre. Yes it is true that the game isn't original in design, but it is authentic and that is very key. That's where my issue lies. Epic wholesale lifted what they had learnt from Pubg and crowbarred it into their relatively lacklustre game. It's not authentic, it wasn't part of the Fortnite roadmap. It's an opportunistic move to make Fortnite relevant.

The worst part is the precedent this sets. Epic is a massive company that have produced average games of late. They do serve the community massively by continuing to produce Engines and support to teams looking to implement them, but from now on it looks like if you come up with an awesome idea and they can get away with it, they'll steal it. And that is fucking bullshit. 

32 minutes ago, snowbind said:

Ok, this is why I think that Fortnite as a concept is bad and is shameful on Epic for putting to market. Bluehole and Epic are partners. Bluehole licenced the Unreal Engine and worked closely with Epic to make changes to accommodate the game mode. Brendan Greene the head designer of Pubg created the DayZ:Battle Royale mod, himself. He is arguably the genus of this entire genre. Yes it is true that the game isn't original in design, but it is authentic and that is very key. That's where my issue lies. Epic wholesale lifted what they had learnt from Pubg and crowbarred it into their relatively lacklustre game. It's not authentic, it wasn't part of the Fortnite roadmap. It's an opportunistic move to make Fortnite relevant.

The worst part is the precedent this sets. Epic is a massive company that have produced average games of late. They do serve the community massively by continuing to produce Engines and support to teams looking to implement them, but from now on it looks like if you come up with an awesome idea and they can get away with it, they'll steal it. And that is fucking bullshit. 

you don't have to play it

1 hour ago, snowbind said:

Ok, this is why I think that the Fortnite version as a concept is bad and is shameful on Epic for putting to market. Bluehole and Epic are partners. Bluehole licenced the Unreal Engine and worked closely with Epic to make changes to accommodate the game mode. Brendan Greene the head designer of Pubg created the DayZ:Battle Royale mod, himself. He is arguably the genus of this entire genre. Yes it is true that the game isn't original in design, but it is authentic and that is very key. That's where my issue lies. Epic wholesale lifted what they had learnt from Pubg and crowbarred it into their relatively lacklustre game. It's not authentic, it wasn't part of the Fortnite roadmap. It's an opportunistic move to make Fortnite relevant.

It's still a great wee game though, regardless of the story behind its development. Will I ever play it again once PUBG is on Xbox? I doubt it, but I've had more than my fair share of enjoyment from it :)

3 hours ago, Scruff said:

Joy isn't the sort of emotion I attribute to PUBG usually! ;)

It's nothing really to do with the graphics, although they do increase the realism aspect. PUBG has generally a much more varied map, vehicles and the weapon differences are heightened. 

The fact you can't build encampments or smash down a wall to get to someone in a house means you have to be more extreme in your playstyle (either aggressive or passive) in PUBG too.

To use a pretty shit analogy Fortnite is Ridge Racer and PUBG is Gran Turismo. Both great games but very different considering they're both racers.

*edit - spec wise it's a bit of a shit and not well optimised at all on PC. You have to brute force it a bit while Fortnite is silky.

God I’d pick Ridge over GT any day. Does the PC version support controllers? I’ve got an i7 6700k, GTX 970 and 8GB DDR4 RAM, do you think it would run?

2 hours ago, snowbind said:

Sony did the same to Nintendo...

PUBG being Xbox exclusive is equally odious.

I have been as close to getting a PC again as I have in years for PUBG but I just cba to be part of the toxic community and having read the relevant forums it seems as bad as ever esp with cheating etc :(

Hopefully Blizzard will get in on the action soon ;) 

57 minutes ago, Broker said:

God I’d pick Ridge over GT any day. Does the PC version support controllers? I’ve got an i7 6700k, GTX 970 and 8GB DDR4 RAM, do you think it would run?

It does, but you'd be at a massive disadvantage due to how precise you can be (a good sniper can 1 shot you with the most powerful care package rifle in the game, from a very, very long way away). It's partly why I can't see how they can cross platform play if it is their intention.

Your PC will run it with a mixture of med-low, same as mine. You don't actually get any extra performance with high settings as the texture quality is appalling on a lot of stuff regardless of setting and the game gets weirdly muddy when on higher settings.

Don't let that put you off. It's an amazing game with a very deep learning curve and ridiculous potential. There is no reason both games can't thrive but if you like Fortnite BR and have £20 I can't recommend trying PUBG enough; especially if you hook up with some other MUKers and play in 1st person :wub: 

7 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Sony did the same to Nintendo...

PUBG being Xbox exclusive is equally odious.

I have been as close to getting a PC again as I have in years for PUBG but I just cba to be part of the toxic community and having read the relevant forums it seems as bad as ever esp with cheating etc :(

Hopefully Blizzard will get in on the action soon ;) 

It's not as bad as the Sonos owners clique.

Play with mates and it'll be the best thing you've ever played.

11 hours ago, snowbind said:

Literally nothing you just said is about Fortnite as a game. Which is very good indeed and different enough from PUBG that they can coexist. The fort building end game is glorious.

Daybreak AND Bluehole licenced the Battle Royale mode from Brendan Green. Epic didn’t, they just ripped off a customer in secret, and a customer who is already paying them a fee in every copy sold of PUBG. Instead of empowering creators with their engine, they just took the idea and shoehorned a mode into their game. Plus no doubt they will be working on the engine to add features to Fortnite, which takes us back to the problem Dennis Dyack had with Epic.

1 hour ago, macosx said:

Daybreak AND Bluehole licenced the Battle Royale mode from Brendan Green. Epic didn’t, they just ripped off a customer in secret, and a customer who is already paying them a fee in every copy sold of PUBG. Instead of empowering creators with their engine, they just took the idea and shoehorned a mode into their game. Plus no doubt they will be working on the engine to add features to Fortnite, which takes us back to the problem Dennis Dyack had with Epic.

Horrendously shitty business practice that has produced a great game

If you all cared so much about your principles and how developers were treated like shit due to bad business practices you'd never play a game ever again. Bet plenty of you moaning have played plenty of Activision/Konami/EA games.

The little I've played of Fortnite has been very enjoyable. Two games that are similar can coexist you know, same way as you can enjoy both Tomb Raider and Uncharted or Need for P

Speed and GT. Some right elitist BS in here.

I think it’s fair enough to feel that Epic have been a bit sleazy here. But if you feel that strongly about taking a moral stance then frankly you shouldn’t be playing PUBG . Read up on Bluehole's rather sordid history, start with googling the words 'Bluehole' and 'Lineage 3'.

As for PlayerUnknown himself, here’s what he has to say in the matter.

Look, I don’t claim ownership. So, it’s a last-man standing deathmatch. That’s been around since people could pick up clubs and hit each other. I would never claim ownership over that. The ever decreasing circle – I couldn’t program squares like it is in the Battle Royale movie. The code for doing squares that shrink, I just couldn’t do it because I wasn’t a very good coder, right? So I moved it an ever decreasing circle that sort of moved around inside itself, because that’s how I could do it. I don’t even claim ownership on that. These are old ideas. I love to see what the genre has created. It’s various versions on something that I guess I popularised, you know? The idea itself is not mine.”

"Other companies will of course enter the marketplace, but I would just hope they put their own spin on the game-mode and not just make a carbon copy!"

Now I suppose it comes down to how much you define Fortnite as a carbon copy (and it is very close). But then the poster who is getting most upset about this in the thread has said the base building aspect changes a core mechanic of the game.

31 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Horrendously shitty business practice that has produced a great game

To be clear here I’m not knocking anyone enjoying it or the fun you can have with it just saying that the lack of cost to entry has definitely made a shitty move more tolerable and successful than it probably deserves to be

10 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Literally nothing you just said is about Fortnite as a game. Which is very good indeed and different enough from PUBG that they can coexist. The fort building end game is glorious.

I know, I even start my first sentence establishing that.

4 hours ago, macosx said:

The problem where he stole their code, refused to pay for the engine he used and then tried to sue them because he’s a cunt?

Ok yeah, I see the difference! After a few hours of practice I just came third in a game of this on PC. I’m literally shaking, feels like beating a boss on Dark Souls. The sound design, vehicles and lack of destructible environments does indeed ratchet the tension up to unbearable levels, absolutely amazing. Can’t see myself playing Fortnite BR again after that.

I1w8kgN.png