rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rsdio

The Rllmuk Shmup/STG Club stage 1: Cho Ren Sha 68k (freeware) - all welcome!

Gah, I played CRS a bit years ago but I don't think I ever got much further than the third stage.

Autofire/turbo-fire is banned though, right? ;) 

53 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Gah, I played CRS a bit years ago but I don't think I ever got much further than the third stage.

I haven't got beyond that so far either, though hopefully the lag fix will improve matters!

53 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Autofire/turbo-fire is banned though, right? ;) 

Nah, it's fine - save yourself the RSI! Clippa's profile has it on one of the triggers. I'd have it set up myself but I'm having issues with JoyToKey for some reason.

had a go on this earlier and really enjoyed it (often i don't like non bullet hell shmups), i've heard of it but not sure i've ever played it before. best run ended at the 3rd level boss, kept trying to get all 3 power ups but didn't manage it once, it's pretty tricky.

had a look for some info on the game, not read it all yet, and the only interesting thing i found so far is that picking up a powerup apparently makes you temporarily invincible:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3189

http://shmuplations.com/chorensha68k/

http://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/10/cho-ren-sha-68k-pcsharp-x68000.html

33 minutes ago, spatular said:

had a go on this earlier and really enjoyed it (often i don't like non bullet hell shmups), i've heard of it but not sure i've ever played it before. best run ended at the 3rd level boss, kept trying to get all 3 power ups but didn't manage it once, it's pretty tricky.

It really is, isn't it. I've been getting it maybe once every seven or eight times. It's clearly the key to the whole thing as regularly chucking both a bomb and shield at you is as good as two extra lives every time, provided you're not already fully stocked. It seems to generally be considered a relatively easy shooter but I'm guessing that's probably completely dependent on nailing that technique as it feels pretty tough when you're fucking up and just getting the one power-up.

I did reach a couple of little goals though, score over a million and get the two bosses at the end of the first level to simultaneously blow each other up. Getting rid of one that way isn't too hard, though I've ended up killing myself in the process a few times.

• Upvote 1

Ha, I was curious to see how you were doing after you said you got to stage 5 in the other thread. Great work! No need for proof or anything, we can take people's word for it ;). I think there's actually an invulnerability mode built into it somewhere too but obviously you're only cheating yourself etc. etc.

I was getting the power-ups a little more regularly last night so that's some sort of progress. It's good for building up those tiny micro movements and I'm looking at the game in general as a trainer for actually using bombs, since I'm shit for hoarding them in general and they're plentiful here.

• Upvote 1

ace score clippa!

best i've managed so far, first time to stage 4:

i got the triple powerup once too! i think i'm going to ignore this now, it probably is the key to scoring but i'm getting powerups i don't want and dying when going for it so would rather just concentrate on surviving for now.

edit - bit lucky but got to 2-2 :D fingers hurt, need to sort autofire.

cheers dude. ive been playing some more and can't get anywhere near that now, as expected really.

On 3/24/2017 at 14:11, Rsdio said:

Nah, it's fine - save yourself the RSI! Clippa's profile has it on one of the triggers. I'd have it set up myself but I'm having issues with JoyToKey for some reason.

i think i'm having the same problem, i think it's the saturn pad, i guess as the game accepts the input, it doesn't look for the keyboard input any more so joytokey doesn't help. don't suppose anyone knows a workaround for this?

Yeah, exactly the same for me. I searched and found suggestions buried in the Shmups forums that JoyToKey doesn't work with the game but I guess that can't be universal if Clippa's got it going OK.

No specific time limit really, I think it's probably best to keep it loose so no-one's put off joining in :). I haven't been able to have a go in a couple of days either. When everyone gets sick of it we can try something else.

Not sure how many people have given it a go who wouldn't normally post in the shmups thread but I guess it's a niche for a reason!

Sorry, not sure what you mean? I imagine you could play the X68000 version on there.

It should be easier actually, since the PC version apparently runs five frames faster.

Wow, only just saw this thread. Will jump in as soon as I've figured out why it's running really choppily on my PC. Is it some Windows 10 issue? It's been fine on every shitheap I've had over the last fifteen years...

Edit: after a fresh download it's only marginally stuttery. Hopefully I'll be able to post a score tonight. :)