IGNORED

Edge #305

Mr Do 71

15 minutes ago, Majora said:

Not that I really care but could this not be because it's before embargo? I know when I've gotten PS4 games early sometimes the share functionality has been blocked until the official release date (Arkham Knight springs to mind). 

It seems to be a thing with some Japanese games. Yakuza 6 does it throughout too. I think Y0 was the same in Japan but they changed it for the western release to only block the final chapter. 

Oh and cheers @Qazimod :)

Having played a few of the games in current Japanese resurgence we seem to be having. I'll say this for Japanese devs, they seem to have remembered that people play game on TVs and still use large easily readable text instead of writing a paragraph in Arial 8 crammed into the corner of the screen.

2 hours ago, angel said:

Neogaf currently in meltdown over that well known sacred cow Ghost Recon Wildlands getting a 4

This post made me laugh.

I love Edge, but 4/10 for Wildlands is a fucking joke imo. It's excellent fun and genuinely filling in a gap for me not filled by Zelda or Horizon, which are phenomenal games.

Erm, I don't think that's what you meant to say.

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

I'm probably the only gamer on here that doesn't get Persona.

Tried it on the Vita "the best game on it everyone proclaimed". I must of spent 3 hours just pressing the X button to continue the dialogue before powering off. 

To be fair you were pretty much at the end of the game right there; we all just enjoyed the opening dialogue sequence.

53 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

See-saw, Margery Daw, sold her bed and lay upon straw.

:rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

The best first quarter in gaming history, and an edge 4 is the top seller. Depressing really.

Guns and cars :omg:

The review of P5 is pretty damn positive. They basically say it's just more of the same with better dungeons than P4. Thematically it's inconsistent, however, which may have led to the lower score, and the fact that Edge tend not to give the best scores to game series that rest on their laurels. They do mention that the entire thing is achingly cool, however, so that's sold me.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is Wildlands a bag of shite then? 

According to the reviews that I've seen and the three forumites that have been posting in the Wildlands thread, it's okay-ish mindless co-op fun if you go in with low expectations. Imagine a standard Ubi sandbox but bigger and emptier, and steer well clear if you're in it for the single-player. Although why anyone would be interested in Wildlands at all with Yakuza 0, Nier, Horizon, Nioh, Zelda, and P5 all out around the same time is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Although why anyone would be interested in Wildlands at all with Yakuza 0, Nier, Horizon, Nioh, Zelda, and P5 all out around the same time is beyond me.

To be fair, none of those scream "4 player open world stealth" to me. I could see that being a big reason for the games success; I think it's basically the only co op game to come out in the last few months so it doesn't actually have to compete with the likes of Horizon etc. 

30 minutes ago, Radish said:

To be fair, none of those scream "4 player open world stealth" to me. I could see that being a big reason for the games success; I think it's basically the only co op game to come out in the last few months so it doesn't actually have to compete with the likes of Horizon etc. 

True, but allow me to point out that Styx: Shards of Darkness has two player co-op. And that's a real stealth game, not the streamlined, watered down auto-stealth that Ubisoft is famous for :)

I overheard my local GAME people going mad about Wildlands, whereas I didn't even remotely consider giving it a purchase. I was thinking about this and trying to work out why. I think firstly, I don't see the Ubi name as a banner of quality. To me it signifies glitchy games, patches, recycling of assets, fake trailers, fake multiplayer voice overs on trailers, running franchises into the ground, that ghost recon kinect demo, The Division being utterly broken client side so the anti cheat systems were doomed from the start, and just generally years and years of crummy games and politics.

Then I thought to myself, these young tykes working behind the counter don't see any of that, they swallow the hype, they don't have my years of baggage, they only see what they want to see, and believe all the nonsense from the e3 presentations. They gobble up the dodgy pre rendered trailers, they don't notice the fake multiplayer chatter, they want to buy into every next new thing, and their minds gloss over things like the broken Ass Creed Unity, the hideous microtransactions, the fact that Far Cry Primal used the same map as 4 and was meant to be a DLC spinoff but ended up packaged as a full pricer.

I am an old man, my views are irrelevant to them. They just want something loud and dumb to play for 3 weeks and trade in. That's the last thing i want, I'm looking for something new, special, and that I'll keep forever. It's at this point I realise I'm not the target audience for almost all new releases. I'm not saying they're bad people, it's nice for them to be all enthused, but I personally was about as likely to buy Wildlands as I am to head down to the local skate park and hang out with the kids there. Presumably this is old age, but that's fine.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

True, but allow me to point out that Styx: Shards of Darkness has two player co-op. And that's a real stealth game, not the streamlined, watered down auto-stealth that Ubisoft is famous for :)

WHAT?! :o

*runs off to call mate while simultaneously buying the game*

Ghost Recon might of fair better if it didn't just recycle the same South American locations (or lookalikes) again that have been done to death in countless other titles, mostly by Ubisoft

I got the impression from the beta that it was certainly competent enough technically, it just lacked a certain something. For me it played exactly the same as Far Cry, when in reality it should of been something like Rainbow Six. An open world can be a curse

On 3/26/2017 at 09:58, angel said:

Presumably this is old age, but that's fine.

I'm in my 40's and think Wildlands is great :) They should put that endorsement on the game of the year cover.

But it's not Japanese and it is also best played with friends, so it has limited appeal to forum folk, but one magazine giving a game a below par score does not automatically make that game shit, which seems to be the assumption that's been leaped to in this thread.

1 hour ago, SimonC said:

I'm in my 40's and think Wildlands is great :) They should put that endorsement on the game of the year cover.

But it's not Japanese and it is also best played with friends, so it has limited appeal to forum folk, but one magazine giving a game a below par score does not automatically make that game shit, which seems to be the assumption that's been leaped to in this thread.

It's more that it's another one of those. Ubisoft Sandbox Generator #34347. All those other releases aren't just of a very high quality, they're also a breath of fresh air in terms of originality and pushing our beloved hobby forward. That's why folk like us, people who love games, like to lobby for and support those games over stuff like Wildlands. It hasn't got anything to do with them being Japanese. 

Wildlands is below average in many areas,  AI, gunplay, it doesn't do anything new or better than what's come before it. Sure it could be fun in co-op, but anything can be pretty much. Plenty of people enjoy mediocre films too.