Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I ‘upgraded’ to an Xbox One a few years ago in the believe that all the classic 360 games would eventually come on it. Unfortunately MS were intent on only making the absolute trash available on backwards compatibility while missing many classics.  After a while I realised that the One is definitely a downgrade, the 360/PS3 were far superior consoles than their successors, the Xbox 360 managed to combine exciting indie releases, retro goodness and some excellent current gen games on one machine. It really felt like the only console you ever needed out. 

Current gen is probably the most disappointing generation ever. Thank God for the Switch. 

On 03/07/2020 at 08:56, Dr_Dave said:

The raging fever of the irrational collector takes hold... About twenty quid of games, and a mounting sense of panic about where I'll store them all.

image.thumb.png.c2824af27e8a3de8af4ac7789036c2fb.png

RGH is your friend, unless you like to have stacks of boxes on your shelves.....

6 minutes ago, Pavey said:

RGH is your friend, unless you like to have stacks of boxes on your shelves.....

Judging by the previous post, that's exactly what Dr_Dave likes.

Having a bit of a problem: I'm 99% certain I own the digital version of Forza Horizon. I have it on my XBone, so I must do, right? Looking on the store, I can find the game, but I can't find a way to download it to my "new" 360. What am I missing?

So. Xbox 360 emulation on the PC. Anyone tried it out? How well does it work? Recommended? I have a couple of games I like to play on the 360 and it would be nice and convenient if I could fire them up on the PC. Have 360 hardware and original games. Just not sure what the state of play is like on 360 emulation at the moment.

My PC is a Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB memory and a 980 Ti GPU. On paper it should be enough to replicate the 360 experience. However in practice....

Due to the low price of many X360 games I must admit to having quickly amassed a collection of around 100 games. Most tat, but the system has some incredible obscurities:

Culdcept Saga is one of the best games of the generation.

A-Train AX is weird but cool.

Alaskan Storm is every bit as good as the TV show.

Operation Darkness is like the sick twin of Valkyria Chronicles.

Feel free to recommend me other weird  cool stuff (region locked US exclusives are OK).

Odd choice, but I've been playing through "James Bond 007: Bloodstone", which I picked up for a couple of quid. It's by Bizarre Creations, and the car driving bits really feel like PGR at times. Otherwise, it's a surprisingly good third person/driving game. It's only about six hours long, which is pretty much how I like my narrative shooters, and manages to feel incredibly cinematic in parts - especially the driving.

1 hour ago, Dr_Dave said:

Odd choice, but I've been playing through "James Bond 007: Bloodstone", which I picked up for a couple of quid. It's by Bizarre Creations, and the car driving bits really feel like PGR at times. Otherwise, it's a surprisingly good third person/driving game. It's only about six hours long, which is pretty much how I like my narrative shooters, and manages to feel incredibly cinematic in parts - especially the driving.

this. Id previously described it thusly 

competent 3rd person shooter, with excellent driving bits. over-generous with the checkpoints in some places mind

where the QoS game felt more like a COD title. If COD took the same left turn as Battlefield: hardline.

Is no one going to recommend weird shit for me to collect? Here's a curated list of what I own (physical), removing common titles to focus on the bit unusual. Multiformat stuff I tend to own on PS3.

Please suggest more. :)

---

Spoiler

Ace Combat 6 - X360 exclusive, decent jet combat where you have tons of missiles

A-Train HX - design train stations!

Banjo Kazooi: Nuts & Bolts - I prefer this to the 3D platformers, you get to build vehicles like when you were a kid playing with Lego

Beautiful Katamari - it's basically like all the others, and the misaligned sticks aren't as nice as when playing on PS3, but this is great.

Big Bumper - Burger King!

Blackwater - the murder corporation has its own bit of propaganda in the form of a crosshair shooter; murder women and children for the US government to steal oil

Bloodbowl - orcs playing American rugby!

Bomberman - awful hot trash!

Bullet Witch - janky run and gun from Cavia

Call of Juarez - the original (PC port)

Carrier Command : Gaea Mission (weird sci-fi gubbins)

Civil War : A Nation Divided - relive the confederate dream

Culdcept Saga - BEST GAME ON THE XBOX 360

Darkest of Days - time travelling FPS

Darkstar One - PC port of an Elite clone

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 - hmmmmmmmmm, gambling

Deadliest Catch : Alaskan Storm - catch crabs

Divinity II : The Dragon Knight Saga - fantastic third-person action-RPG

EDF 2017 - it lacks the female character with jetpack, from the PS2 predecessors, but this is fun bug blasting.

Import Tuner Challenge - bit repetitive, localisation of the Tokyo Highway Challenge series

Infinite Undiscovery - more JRPG? How many of these do I need?!

JASF - jetfighter game, not played yet, but there's not many of these around.

Kengo : Legend of the 9 - janky samurai combat

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - not played it

Last Remnant - one of numerous mediocre JRPGs

Magna Carta II - South Korean made JRPG!

Mushi Mushi Pork & Pink Sweets - Cave shmups, region free

Naruto Rise of a Ninja - supposedly this is an adventure type action RPG? It's not a one on one brawler like the others in the series

Naval Assault - command a ship and blow stuff up! Bit janky

Omerta: City of Gangsters - late release tactical RPG set in 1920s gangsta town

Onechanbara - babes, bikinis, zombies, swords

Operation Darkness - excellent but overlooked turn based WWII strategy with DRAGONS

Over G Fighters - jetfighter game, played this for ages, quite janky, and eventually gets super difficult. But it's cheap. AC6 is better though!

Pocket Bike Racer - Kurger Bing!

Project Sylpheed - fantastic 3rd person space sim. Fucking glorious combat!

Raven Squad - weird one, reminds me a bit of that Spectrum game where you'd request ammo crates be dropped en route through the level

Rise of the Argonauts - Battle of Olympus in 3D

Risen - PC port of janky German computer RPG

Rumble Roses XX - bikini wrestling. Nuff said

Sneak King - Wimpy Burger!

Star Ocean : The Last Hope - more JRPG stuff (not played)

Tales of Vesperia - drive your Vespa scooter around town like a madman

Tenchu Z - Very low production values compared to the PS2 titles

The Outfit - early release, sort of RTS action. Interestingly, has difficulty functioning on HDTVs unless you manually set the X360 CRT TV settings to 60Hz (it's a whole saga of poor UI optimisation - Google it)

Too Human - the game was recalled. A trainwreck from the makers of Eternal Darkness!

Two Worlds - janky as hell computer RPG that riffs on Elder Scrolls

Two Worlds II - sequel to cool janky RPG

Vampire Rain - difficult and broken, from the people who made arcade Shinobi and Sonic!

Wartech : Senko no Ronde - Japanese robot combat brawler in the SKY!

Zoids Assault - obscure and painfully difficult tactics game

Command and conquer games are good, I think Kane’s wrath might be harder to find?

enslaved : one of those games that’s a bit generic but ends in a good way and would have done well to have a sequel where it all could have been fleshed out. 

remember me : stylish, short, decent story. 

Not weird but:

You need the other Cave shmups. And Ginga Force and Eschatos. 

Eternal Sonata is one of only three RPGs I've ever finished. 

Vorpal is a really nice XBLIG shmup.

Omega Five is a nice XBLA shmup by Natsume no less.

Battle Fantasia is a decent fighter.

Vanquish is excellent but I'm sure you know that. 

Tecmo Classic Arcade is an Xbox game but is 360 compatible and has Bomb Jack on it.

Edit: EDF 2017

I've already got Enslaved on PS3. I have Remember Me but I assumed it was quite a well know title. I disabled achievements so have no idea what I've got - I wouldn't buy a game just for the score.

6 hours ago, Camel said:

Not weird but:

You need the other Cave shmups. And Ginga Force and Eschatos. 

Eternal Sonata is one of only three RPGs I've ever finished. 

Vorpal is a really nice XBLIG shmup.

Omega Five is a nice XBLA shmup by Natsume no less.

Battle Fantasia is a decent fighter.

Vanquish is excellent but I'm sure you know that. 

Tecmo Classic Arcade is an Xbox game but is 360 compatible and has Bomb Jack on it.

Edit: EDF 2017

I didn't like the demo of Eternal Sonata much. Does it get better? / Got Vorpal - it is nice! / Vanquish is one of my favourites on PS3.

I forgot to add to my list, since they arrived recently, I have EDF 2017, Beautiful Katamari, Over-G Fighters, and JASF. Will edit to fix.

Well, I really liked ES, but I'm a rank amateur when it comes to JRPGs so probably worth asking around. 

The XBLA version of Triggerheart Exelica is really nice but turn off auto-swing. Every Extend Extra is pretty weird and pretty good.

Others:

Asura's Wrath  - I couldn't really get into this but others swear by it

Catherine - Weird block puzzle/social sim affair from Atlus

Tornado Outbreak - Katamari-esque but not great
Pure - Not weird, but excellent arcade fun racer

XBLA:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (HD version of the DC game)

Hydro Thunder - Excellent update of the old aqua racer
Space Giraffe - Jeff Minter, looks like Tempest, doesn't play like Tempest

Never liked under defeat. Every helicopter based shmup has weird controls that never sit right with me. One of my fav 360 games was lollipop chainsaw that never got a digital release, neither did third strike or dark stalkers collection or most of Capcom’s Xbox live arcade collection got backwards compatibility.  Or bubble bobble neo... damn so many classics I had on that which never got made backwards compatible.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Every time I see Under Defeat i immediately think Border Down

why!?!

Both Arcade / DC shooters, made by the same developer, released in the same-ish timeframe as eachother..?

I don't personally regard Under Defeat as being in same league as Border Down or Zero Gunner II though, myself.

1 hour ago, spanky debrest said:

Both Arcade / DC shooters, made by the same developer, released in the same-ish timeframe as eachother..?

I don't personally regard Under Defeat as being in same league as Border Down or Zero Gunner II though, myself.

ok, that makes sense

• 3 weeks later...

Spent a very long time today (longer than I'd readily admit to!) trying to sign into Xbox Live after I powered up the 360 in what has been a few years now. 

Then I recalled that your Microsoft password on the 360 console cannot be greater than 16 characters. Fucksakes

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Spent a very long time today (longer than I'd readily admit to!) trying to sign into Xbox Live after I powered up the 360 in what has been a few years now. 

Then I recalled that your Microsoft password on the 360 console cannot be greater than 16 characters. Fucksakes

It’s even worse if you have 2fa turned on as it’ll just fail to login but won’t tell you why and then you have to use google to hunt down how you make a Special 2fa password just for the Xbox 360 because it can’t do 2fa.