Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Well just lost an hour somewhere. Have to say haven't had as much fun for ages playing games.

Spent around 30mins on Forza Horizon 2 which I found on the drive installed - must have had it on Gold sometime as it just fired up. Never seen the 360 version it was developed by Sumo. Not sure what I was going to expect really but it's pretty good just less graphical bling than the One version and you cannot go off road which actually works in it's favour and feels like a different game.

Then PGR4 still additive as ever. Graphics still look great now but it plays so well. 

Noticed got all sorts on there. Forgot how good this console is. It'll probably get more playtime that anything else at the moment.

Also like the old Xbox dash seems fast and less cluttered than I remembered. 

Like the form factor of the E. Although it is odd having a dinky ring of light and no separate quadrants for multiple controllers. Seems to he a bit quieter than the last 360 I had (S version). This one has a different power connector and drops the optical Sp-DIF connector. Nice unit overall impressed with it. Has a nice beefy 500GB drive too which I'll probably never till on this! :)

6 minutes ago, matt0 said:

One of my favourite gaming memories is me and a mate spending a Sunday afternoon playing PGR4 in split screen, Nurburgring, blizzard conditions, Mini Coopers.

Driving games need more diverse weather effects in them IMHO. With all the power of consoles these days you'd think they'd be more adventurous. Think this is why I keep returning to this game it's probably the most diverse arcade racer ever released. Great selection of locations, cars, tracks, music, event types. 

Arcade city racers seem to have died these days. Not sure if we'll ever see the likes of this game again. Be great if we got something like this released today. Even this in HD. And no Forza Horizon isn't the same... It's not as focussed as this and has the annoying festival stuff in. :)

10 hours ago, MattyP said:

Spent around 30mins on Forza Horizon 2 which I found on the drive installed - just have had it on Gold sometime as it just fired up. Never seen the 360 version it was developed by Sumo. Not sure what I was going to expect really but it's pretty good just less graphical bling than the One version and you cannot go off road which actually works in it's favour and feels like a different game.

I actually prefer the 360 version. It feels a bit more focused than the One version and it's a lot easier to work your way through the different races. I think I completed it, back in the day... Tempted to give it another go. 

In other news - I've been playing PGR4 for the last few days. Still not feeling it. There's something about the way the cars handle that just isn't right. Beyond physics and framerates and all that, driving games need that indefinable feeling, an X factor that makes it right to play. What the French would call a certain "I don't know what". If it was food, it'd be "mouth feel". And PGR is just missing it. It actually reminds me of Bizarre's first F1 game (which I did a load of QA on) , it just doesn't have "that thing". And using bikes makes me feel sick.

20 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I actually prefer the 360 version. It feels a bit more focused than the One version and it's a lot easier to work your way through the different races. I think I completed it, back in the day... Tempted to give it another go. 

In other news - I've been playing PGR4 for the last few days. Still not feeling it. There's something about the way the cars handle that just isn't right. Beyond physics and framerates and all that, driving games need that indefinable feeling, an X factor that makes it right to play. What the French would call a certain "I don't know what". If it was food, it'd be "mouth feel". And PGR is just missing it. It actually reminds me of Bizarre's first F1 game (which I did a load of QA on) , it just doesn't have "that thing". And using bikes makes me feel sick.

Agreed it is an acquired taste for sure. Going back it does feel a bit odd compared to other racers but for some odd reason I get on with it :D I've been playing the Bizarre games since MSR on the Dreamcast though so probably used to it. Not sure. Agree on the bikes too. Horrible especially on bonnet cam! 

So here is the setup I got for £50! (Noticed CEX want £110 for this model for some reason)

In pretty good shape. Call Of Duty disk was no good looks like the console was knocked when it has been vertical as it has a nice big circular scratch on it.

Surprised how quiet this version is when things are installed on the hard drive. 

Glad to have one back seems like this one will be the one of the more reliable ones being one of the last made. Can't believe MS kept these in production got 11 years.

Still my favourite console after all these years best controller MS have made so far IMHO too. Although the one I got with this isn't perfect the right bumper sticks a bit so guessing the switch is a bit worn. May try and source a new MS one. Hopefully I can still find them.

PXL_20210216_150858097-01.png

8 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I presume XBL Gold is still required for online play? It would be great to have some online PGR races etc, had great fun back in the day. 

I expect so.... I have GamePass Ultimate so Gold is bundled in with that. Still have lots of times in there set by people on my friends list back in the day in 2007... jeez.... many still active on my friends list now! Feeling old... :) 

On 15/02/2021 at 18:42, MattyP said:

Race Pro (Atari). Looks OK think I played it briefly back in the day 

I wonder if they ever fixed the bugs in this, the PC games they were based on were THE sims of 2007 or so (minus a daft inability in a WTCC game to, you know, race the WTCC) but the 360 game was riddled on release, most notably with the AI just driving you into walls on the way out of the pits on some tracks.

Then they released paid DLC before they fixed it.

It's actually a descendant of the modern Raceroom sim.

On 15/02/2021 at 21:05, MattyP said:

Spent around 30mins on Forza Horizon 2 which I found on the drive installed - just have had it on Gold sometime as it just fired up. Never seen the 360 version it was developed by Sumo. Not sure what I was going to expect really but it's pretty good just less graphical bling than the One version and you cannot go off road which actually works in it's favour and feels like a different game.

Yeah I really want to try this one but it goes for a huge premium on disk sadly.

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I wonder if they ever fixed the bugs in this, the PC games they were based on were THE sims of 2007 or so (minus a daft inability in a WTCC game to, you know, race the WTCC) but the 360 game was riddled on release, most notably with the AI just driving you into walls on the way out of the pits on some tracks.

Then they released paid DLC before they fixed it.

It's actually a descendant of the modern Raceroom sim.

Yeah I really want to try this one but it goes for a huge premium on disk sadly.

Not tried Race Pro yet. I think I did have it back on release as it was a proper sim game on a console... but also remember it had some of the bugs you mention hence not having it long and just going back to MS's Forza games on console.

Not sure where I got Forza Horizon 2 from on the Xbox 360 - never bought it as I had a Xbox One back when it was originally release (it was the reason I bought my Xbox One!). All I can think of it was offered as part of Xbox Gold at some point and by grabbing it gave me it on both the 360 and the One. 

Is there a list anywhere of Japan exclusive X360 games?

Stuff like Otomedius Gorgeous, Zegapain XOR / NOT, The Conveni, Tengai Makyou, etc.

I've trawled the web and all I can find is people listing region free JPN exclusives. What I want is any JPN exclusive, even region locked.

4 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

I saw about a hundred copies of that game in a bargain bin in a Walmart in Toronto.

I'm guessing that's Otomedius Excellent, the sequel to Otomedius G. The first, as far as I'm aware, was region locked and exclusive to Japan.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/otomedius/

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/otomedius-excellent/

I already have both, but I just gave that as an example since it's well known. I'm trying to find an accurate list of them all. Best I've found so far is trawling the list on Wikipedia, and filtering it by release date, and then painstakingly going through and checking only for titles that are listed as "unreleased" in the US and Europe.

@Sketch

From checking that Wikipedia list and fucking about with it in Excel, I count 72 games. If you want the Excel file, let me know.

Spoiler

11eyes CrossOver

Absolute: Blazing Infinity

Akatsuki no Amaneka to Aoi Kyojin

Apocalypse: Desire Next

AquaZone: Life Simulator

Chaos;Head Love Chu Chu!

Chaos;Head Noah

Clannad

Code 18

Cross Channel: In Memory of All People

Cross Edge Dash

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force

DeathSmiles II

Diario: Rebirth Moon Legend

Disorder 6

Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu Black Label

DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou

Dream Club

Dream Club Zero

Dunamis 15

Entaku no Seito: Students of Round

Eschatos

Every Party

Ga-Sen Love Plus Pengo!

Hitman: Sniper Challenge

Janline

Machi-ing Maker 4

Mahjong * Dream C Club

Maji-Ten: Maji de Tenshi o Tsukutte Mita

Meikyuu Cross Blood: Reloaded

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition

Moe Moe 2-Ji Daisenryaku Ultra Deluxe

Momotarou Dentetsu 16 Gold

Monster Hunter Frontier G1

Monster Hunter Frontier G2

Monster Hunter Frontier G3

Monster Hunter Frontier G5

Monster Hunter Frontier G6

Monster Hunter Frontier G7

Monster Hunter Frontier G8

Monster Hunter Frontier G9

Monster Hunter Frontier G10

Monster Hunter Frontier GG

Monster Hunter Frontier Z

Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets: Ibara Sore Kara

Mushihimesama

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse

Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen

Phantom Breaker: Extra

Pia Carrot e Youkoso!! 4: Natsu no Koikatsu

Robotics;Notes

Root Double: Before Crime * After Days

Sakura Flamingo Archives

Senko no Ronde: Duo

Sengoku Hime 2: Senran no Yo, Gunyuu Arashi no Gotoku

Sharin no Kuni: The Girl Among the Sunflowers

Shiei no Sona-Nyl Refrain: What a Beautiful Memories

Shikigami no Shiro III

Shooting Love, 10 Shuunen XIIzeal & Deltazeal

Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram

Super Star Karaoke

Tayutama: Kiss on my Deity

Tetris: The Grand Master Ace

Idolmaster, The

Idolmaster 2, The

Idolmaster Live For You!, The

Truck Racer

Tsurugi no Machi no Ihoujin: Shiro no Oukyuu

Tsuushin Taisen Mahjong: Touryuumon

Virtua Striker

Winning Post World 2010

No, that's perfect. Wow! Thank you very much for going to the trouble, kind sir. :hat:

However, and this is not a criticism of you, rather Wikipedia - they have an extra column for Australia, which is filled with terrible nonsense. it claims Otomedius G was released in Australia on Nov 22, 2013. When it clearly was not. So I don't know which cheeky blighter was up to shenanigans and adding wrong entries. :lol:

EDIT: Jesus, I took a proper look, and that whole page seems to have been vandalised. There's hundreds of entries all saying they came out in Australia on 22 November 2013. What is this madness?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_Xbox_360_games_(M–Z)

EDIT2:

Wait... It seems it might be related to the XBO release and back compatibility. Which sort of muddies the data if you're only interested in retail releases for the original hardware.

Well with Australia removed, there's 120, if that helps at all!

Spoiler

11eyes CrossOver

Absolute: Blazing Infinity

Akatsuki no Amaneka to Aoi Kyojin

Apocalypse: Desire Next

AquaZone: Life Simulator

Chaos;Head Love Chu Chu!

Chaos;Head Noah

Clannad

Code 18

Conveni 200X, The

Crash Time IV: The Syndicate

Cross Channel: In Memory of All People

Cross Edge Dash

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force

DeathSmiles II

Diario: Rebirth Moon Legend

Disorder 6

DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label Extra

Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu Black Label

Do-Don-Pachi Dai-Fukkatsu[note 14]

DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou

Dream Club

Dream Club Zero

Dunamis 15

Eschatos

Espgaluda II

Ever17

Every Party

Gal Gun

Ga-Sen Love Plus Pengo!

Ginga Force

Idolmaster 2, The

Idolmaster Live For You!, The

Idolmaster, The

Instant Brain

Janline

Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi EXTRA

Love Football

Machi-ing Maker 4

Mahjong * Dream C Club

Maji-Ten: Maji de Tenshi o Tsukutte Mita

Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!

Meikyuu Cross Blood: Reloaded

Memories Off 6: Next Relation

Memories Off 6: T-wave

Memories Off: Yubikiri no Kioku

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition

Mobile Ops: The One Year War

Moe Moe 2-Ji Daisenryaku Ultra Deluxe

Momotarou Dentetsu 16 Gold

Monster Hunter Frontier

Monster Hunter Frontier G1

Monster Hunter Frontier G10

Monster Hunter Frontier G2

Monster Hunter Frontier G3

Monster Hunter Frontier G5

Monster Hunter Frontier G6

Monster Hunter Frontier G7

Monster Hunter Frontier G8

Monster Hunter Frontier G9

Monster Hunter Frontier GG

Monster Hunter Frontier Z

Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets: Ibara Sore Kara

Mushihimesama

Mushihime-sama Futari

MuvLuv

MuvLuv Alternative

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse

No Fate! Only the Power of Will

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise

Nobunaga no Yabou: Tendou

Nurarihyon no Mago: Hyakki Ryouran Taisen

Otomedius G

Phantom Breaker

Phantom Breaker: Extra

Phantom: Phantom of Inferno

Pia Carrot e Youkoso!! 4: Natsu no Koikatsu

Pro Yakyū Spirits 3

Radirgy Noa Massive

Rambo: The Video Game

Record of Agarest War: Re-appearance

Robotics;Notes

Root Double: Before Crime * After Days

Rugby Challenge 2

Rugby League Live 3

Sakura Flamingo Archives

Sengoku Hime 2: Senran no Yo, Gunyuu Arashi no Gotoku

Senko no Ronde: Duo

Sharin no Kuni: The Girl Among the Sunflowers

Shiei no Sona-Nyl Refrain: What a Beautiful Memories

Shikigami no Shiro III

Shin Sangokumusou 4 Special

Shooting Love, 10 Shuunen XIIzeal & Deltazeal

Shooting Love, 200X[note 31]

Steins;Gate

Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling

Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram

Strike Witches: Shirogane no Tsubasa

Super Robot Wars XO

Super Star Karaoke

Tayutama: Kiss on my Deity

Tengai Makyou Ziria: Haruka naru Jipang

Tetris: The Grand Master Ace

Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life CS Edition

Tsurugi no Machi no Ihoujin: Shiro no Oukyuu

Tsuushin Taisen Mahjong: Touryuumon

Virtua Striker

W.L.O. Sekai Renai Kikō

Warriors: Legends of Troy

Winning Post World 2010

WRC 2: FIA World Rally Championship

WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship

WRC 4: FIA World Rally Championship

WRC: FIA World Rally Championship

Wrestle Kingdom[note 48]

Zegapain NOT

Zegapain XOR

Zoids Infinity EX Neo

20 hours ago, MattyP said:

I expect so.... I have GamePass Ultimate so Gold is bundled in with that. Still have lots of times in there set by people on my friends list back in the day in 2007... jeez.... many still active on my friends list now! Feeling old... :) 

When I booted up PGR4 a couple of months back it was interesting to see who on my friends list was still active as I'd not used the 360 in literally years bar the odd update. Mainly people from here. And I got a great feeling of beating friend's times on the leaderboard, although I then remembered said friends hadn't probably touched the game in a good decade. Still, I'll take any minor victories. 

That list is a good starting point, but it's definitely not 100% accurate. Rugby Challenge 2 for instance definitely got a PAL release. Not that I think many people will be rabidly chasing that game down however :P I've also got a PAL version of Rambo sat here.

On 17/02/2021 at 18:11, ilpostino said:

@Sketch

From checking that Wikipedia list and fucking about with it in Excel, I count 72 games. If you want the Excel file, let me know.

Hide contents

If you can play Japanese titles, can get by with the text and like first person dungeon crawlers, I recommend this. I finished the PS Vita remake(Aoki Tsubasa no Chevalier) and it's my favourite crawler so far. However, most people will know it by its upcoming western Switch/Steam name - Saviors of Sapphire Wings.

Edit: I also have Meikyuu Cross Blood Reloaded, but that's just the last title in the Operation Abyss/Babel series and is a bit poo.

On 18/02/2021 at 08:58, ScouserInExile said:

Realised I'd somehow lost my copy recently. Ended up paying £16 for a replacement. Worth it. 

Yeah it's £20 vs £8 for Xbox One at CEX for instance.  Not that bad but compared to virtually every other xbox 360 game at the moment.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

That list also seems to contain games that were only released on Xbox Live. Virtua Striker being one.

It's also missing Onechambara Z Kagura. (I know it's multiplatform, and the PC version got a Western release, including the bizarro feeldo DLC - but for the X360 it was Japan exclusive.)

I realise ilpostino was sacrificing his time for free, to help out a forum member as an altruistic kindness, simply contributing to the overall positivity of everyone in this topic, and we should be grateful that anyone chose to do legwork and not simply link to someone else's legwork, but clearly we need to send him away and make him do it again until he gets it right. Don't force us to use the hose.

On 21/02/2021 at 10:05, Dudley said:

Yeah it's £20 vs £8 for Xbox One at CEX for instance.  Not that bad but compared to virtually every other xbox 360 game at the moment.

Been playing FH2 on the 360 last night. Like the more focussed race approach. Not sure how much different it is go the Xbox One version however it's been a long while since I played that. Think weather effects and a lot more online stuff in it like drivatars. Also the races had more cars think it was 12 Vs 8 from memory. 

Enjoying going back to the 360 again. After using the pad for a while I do think the Series X pad feels better and is a good refinement on the 360 pad. 

Speaking of pads managed to source another MS pad for a  fiver which is less worn then the one I got with the console but the LED quadrant for controller 1 is out. Never seen these fail before! However the bumper switches are much more responsive on this one. These seem very difficult to source new these days. Guess the console went out of production six year ago this year so makes sense. Lots of second hand ones seem to have been abused though. The bumper switches seem to be the bits that wear along of course with the analogue stick tops.

9 minutes ago, MattyP said:

playing FH2 on the 360 last night. Like the more focussed race approach. Not sure how much different it is go the Xbox One version however it's been a long while since I played that. Think weather effects and a lot more online stuff in it like drivatars. Also the races had more cars think it was 12 Vs 8 from memory. 

Quite. 

There's a bit of the map missing (the docks area). 

There's less off road areas. 

No dlc in the 360 version. 

The competition structure is different. For the better, I think. 

Aa I said higher up the thread, I like the 360 version more than the Bone version. 

Finally got around to firing Sega Rally up tonight. Forgotten how good this game is. Definitely feels like the original Sega Rally evolved. Love the variety of courses and the mud flying around everywhere. 

Think this was a bit overlooked on release but plays really well. This was another game I bought on release back in the day too.

Love how quickly these games get patched :) Probably around 5 secs max and a quick reboot of the game. Fantastic stuff. Makes a change from the GBs of patching that goes on these days with new games.

Anyone know of or recommend any decent game mods?

Now that I've a RGH system, I just install my disc based games and add mods via USB.

I've already got a few cheat trainers I plan to install, but I don't know much about mods or what's available. The only one I could think of is I know there's a few Oblivion mods, which I'm going to look at.

Any others?

Sadly I'm a bit disappointed with the homebrew stuff. The only N64 emulator for the X360 is apparently a port of an N64 emulator on the Wii, bit the guy never finished it before leaving the scene, so there's no saving at all - not even in-game SRAM saving. Which means it's useless and the N64 emulator on the original Xbox is actually better. :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if there's any hope in trying to fix an xbox360 slim with the E82 error? Graphics started glitching a few days before it eventually gave up. :( Would I be better off just trying to find a replacement? I'd just picked up pgr4 too and was looking forward to giving it a try.

14 hours ago, jamesy said:

Does anyone know if there's any hope in trying to fix an xbox360 slim with the E82 error? Graphics started glitching a few days before it eventually gave up. :( Would I be better off just trying to find a replacement? I'd just picked up pgr4 too and was looking forward to giving it a try.

It depends on the exact cause, I know a couple of people who had this and basically the gpu had come away from the main board due to heat and it just required being soldered back on. Worse case scenario the GPU could be done for in which case I wouldn't say it's worth it to be honest (I think you can pick them up for under £50 these day's can't you?)

Thanks for the advice. Yea soldering a gpu to the motherboard isn’t something I’d be able to tackle. Looks like a replacement is in order in that case. Should be able to pick one up for under £50 like you say.