rllmuk
Lorfarius

Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

I've.been on my old 360 a fair bit recently. I've had all the new consoles but eventually got rid of them as the games mostly weren't appealing anymore and I've discovered I have a fair back catalogue of Xbox Gold games on this. Also mostly XBLA content I'd bought over the years.

So just finished up on The Cave which I bought ages ago but never got around to playing for some reason! Enjoyed that. Now playing some of the old shooters on there - Space Giraffe, Geometry Wars 2, Radiant Silvergun etc. Also playing some or my favourite racers again PGR4, Sega Rally and Forza Motorsport 3 (had the best tracks IMHO). Noticed I've also got Crackdown on there. So will be revisiting that too. Put Crackdown 3 on the PC but never got into it for some reason. They they made the game too "complicated". Loved the simplistic pick up and play nature of the original.

Really enjoying it. Much more than I did the new consoles. Maybe I'm getting old :D Just want games to be fun and not feel like work.... Less is more for me..... 

• Upvote 4

One thing I’ll say is the UI is so, so slow. Aggravatingly so. 

also, it shit itself mid licence transfer meaning I can’t retry for 4 months!

• Empathy 2

11 hours ago, MattyP said:

I've.been on my old 360 a fair bit recently. I've had all the new consoles but eventually got rid of them as the games mostly weren't appealing anymore and I've discovered I have a fair back catalogue of Xbox Gold games on this. Also mostly XBLA content I'd bought over the years.

So just finished up on The Cave which I bought ages ago but never got around to playing for some reason! Enjoyed that. Now playing some of the old shooters on there - Space Giraffe, Geometry Wars 2, Radiant Silvergun etc. Also playing some or my favourite racers again PGR4, Sega Rally and Forza Motorsport 3 (had the best tracks IMHO). Noticed I've also got Crackdown on there. So will be revisiting that too. Put Crackdown 3 on the PC but never got into it for some reason. They they made the game too "complicated". Loved the simplistic pick up and play nature of the original.

Really enjoying it. Much more than I did the new consoles. Maybe I'm getting old :D Just want games to be fun and not feel like work.... Less is more for me..... 

Likewise; i'm determined to get through my massive backlog on 360/PS3 before i even attempt to tackle all the One/PS4 games i haven't got round to yet. So much good quality and variety on the 360.

Looking at what i 'have' to play to get the pile down, cements for me i wont be getting the next wave of consoles for a good while yet (which is rare for me, aways buckle).

Currently playing Assassins Creed and am enjoying it immensely.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Droo said:

One thing I’ll say is the UI is so, so slow. Aggravatingly so. 

also, it shit itself mid licence transfer meaning I can’t retry for 4 months!

I actually preferred the UI before they added all the avatar stuff. The first UI on release (with the blades) was quite swift IIRC. Still prefer the last 360 interface to the one on the Xbox One though. Never found that intuitive at all. 

360 is still my favourite console in terms of the games on it and MS's commitment to getting content on there. I mean they green lit Radiant Silvergun! 

• Upvote 1

Depending on what i am playing, i flit between online and an RGH. The Aurora dash on the RGH is incredibly swift, and straight to the point. This is what it boots to:

RGH.thumb.jpg.479317e0ed0f98f546d4c5873820c72d.jpg

I wish there was the option on the 360 to cut out all the waffle, and just show you your games.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pavey said:

Depending on what i am playing, i flit between online and an RGH. The Aurora dash on the RGH is incredibly swift, and straight to the point. This is what it boots to:

I wish there was the option on the 360 to cut out all the waffle, and just show you your games.

same could be said for the Xbox one too. 

Before it died, my 360 took aaages to start up but I really miss it. Probably my favourite console. The Xbox One front end is all kinds of wtf.

• Upvote 1

Is there a chronological list of Xbox 360 games by release anywhere?

On 21/04/2020 at 08:27, Pavey said:

Is that a hacked 360 running off a hdd? That ui looks slick. Asuras wrath was a bat shit great game 

It is; it boots straight to that dash and has a 1TB internal drive (no discs required). Digital future, from back in 2010 (the dash to have was originally called Freestyle Dash but Aurora has superseded it).

Probably the best modern console after the Dreamcast and if you discount the nostalgia the 360 was the best. The lineup is spectacular even today.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Pavey said:

It is; it boots straight to that dash and has a 1TB internal drive (no discs required). Digital future, from back in 2010 (the dash to have was originally called Freestyle Dash but Aurora has superseded it).

Where would one obtain such a device and what price? 

Ebay or Realmodscene are probably your best bet  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xxbox+360+rgh.TRS0&_nkw=xbox+360+rgh&_sacat=0

https://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/forum/21-sell/

RMS is mainly US based, but there are some UK sellers on there from time to time.

Less than £100 now i would expect. I can help you set it up when you get it, give me a shout.

14 hours ago, alex3d said:

Probably the best modern console after the Dreamcast and if you discount the nostalgia the 360 was the best. The lineup is spectacular even today.

It's up there for sure. My one still sits next to my Xbox One X with a 1tb external hard drive attached. Hundreds of games on there thanks to all the games with gold, and my own extensive collection. It's crazy the amount of arcade conversions it got during it's life. A machine to please people who wanted the new and the old. 

• Upvote 1

ffs the front end on a 360 is so janky now, especially if you've got tons of content on the hard drive/external drive. Spent ages tonight trying to get my son's profile to sign in and it just sits on the add security screen forever (sorted this eventually) and I can't play my downloaded copy of Forza Horizon as it tells me the disc is unreadable and that I should clean it with a cloth.

I'm on a new (to me) console and apparently a licence transfer should sort the FH issue. I shouldn't have to do that though. Jank everywhere. Art for games not loading, sloooooow everywhere whatever I try to do. Ugh. 

• Empathy 1

I had exactly that issue with Forza Horizon. It seems to be a problem with that particular game, rather than the 360. I ended up buying a physical version.

• Upvote 1

Don’t be making me get it out!

there’s no more room on the tv stand...

image.thumb.jpg.68a7586528a53b9d5f489f7e5387ba52.jpg

[edit]
dat brick though

image.thumb.jpg.a850bc5c59e224b456c65e34b8f278cb.jpg

On 20/06/2020 at 23:46, Camel said:

ffs the front end on a 360 is so janky now, especially if you've got tons of content on the hard drive/external drive. Spent ages tonight trying to get my son's profile to sign in and it just sits on the add security screen forever (sorted this eventually) and I can't play my downloaded copy of Forza Horizon as it tells me the disc is unreadable and that I should clean it with a cloth.

I'm on a new (to me) console and apparently a licence transfer should sort the FH issue. I shouldn't have to do that though. Jank everywhere. Art for games not loading, sloooooow everywhere whatever I try to do. Ugh. 

Unless someone does a really good easy hack for them it doesn't bode well for the 360's retro value in the long term. 

Clearing the system cache has improved things a little in terms of speed, but the UI is still pretty horrible. Once I'm in a game though it's all wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Been playing Pac-Man Museum with my daughter, which, as a package, is horrible; tiny windows to play in with no display options etc. But she's having a whale of a time playing Pac-Land and the various flavours of Pac-Man. I've been playing a little Geometry Wars 3 and my son has been hammering Rock Band 3. 

I'll do the licence transfer soon and see if that sorts out Forza Horizon.

Such a great console (apart from the UI, licence issues natch). 

3 hours ago, SeanR said:

Don’t be making me get it out!

there’s no more room on the tv stand...

image.thumb.jpg.68a7586528a53b9d5f489f7e5387ba52.jpg

[edit]
dat brick though

image.thumb.jpg.a850bc5c59e224b456c65e34b8f278cb.jpg

You’ll be safe. It’ll red ring the moment you power it on. (Or have a hdd failed like mine).

but still Outrun Online Arcade...

32 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

You’ll be safe. It’ll red ring the moment you power it on. (Or have a hdd failed like mine).

but still Outrun Online Arcade...

Been playing a bit of that too. The Xbox versions are BC too so I'm going to be jumping on those as well at some point. Time permitting*

@SeanR all your retro posts are about things you have in boxes. Do you play any of them?

* it probably won't happen :(

@Camelthe posts about things in boxes are to remind me to get those things out of boxes.

to wit, just recently I've been playing on:

Saturn, Wii (w/gamecube, and mastersystem emu), PCengine, Dreamcast, PS3 (w/PS1 emu), PS4, Xbox One X, PS2, OG Xbox (w/MVS, NES, SNES, N64, MS, MD, PCE, MAME, and FBA emu), Switch,  and SNK MVS (150/161-in1 carts only).

still boxed:

Nes, MD, SNES, PlayStation, Neo Geo CD, Jaguar, 360, N64, and Neo Geo AES

Out but no way to play:

Atari ST (lack of games), Amiga (lack of PSU, games, and mouse)

I also have 32X games, but no 32X...

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Outrun Online Arcade

Is that generally considered the best Outrun, then? I think it's on my "own but never played" list

I have played it as it turns out. Not normally my kind of thing, but I gave it a five minute blast yesterday and it's a lot of fun. Nearly made it to the end of the easiest route on my first go.