rllmuk
Lorfarius

Xbox 360 Appreciation Thread

I bought it about 20 minutes before they took it off the store. Really glad I did. It is superb. Pure arcade goodness. 

Should set the 360 up again to play that and some of the other great arcade racers: Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Daytona USA, SEGA Rally. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Project Gotham Racing 4...

I thought I still had a copy of that but I'm damned if I can find the the bloody thing :( Played that to death back in 2008/2009, although never really got anywhere. 

OutRun Online Arcade is nice, but it's missing the other modes from the other releases. And I always found the online part really buggy, but it seems it was fine for everybody else in the entire world. For me, at the first fork, the game would just bug out and overlay both routes on top of each other. I haven't played it online for years though so I'm sure it's fine now although like I say it only seemed to do that for me anyway :/

I have OutRun Online Arcade downloaded for the PS3, and whilst it is absolutely beautiful, it doesn't seem to have any rumble, something which really adds to the game and feels missing. Wish I'd bought it on 360. 

My Xbox original games seem to struggle on my 360. The first game plays, but has framerate problems, and the second game (Coast to Coast) has horrific loading times, so much so there's obviously a problem there. I end up plugging in my Xbox Original when I want to play them. If anything, the rumble is actually too powerful. 

Anyway, my 360 has had a new lease of life during lockdown. I've finally beaten Zuma after twelve years of trying (terrible game, i know) and I've just beaten my mates Pacifism score in Geometry Wars 2. Again, only took me twelve years. It was around 250 million, if you're curious. For me, that mode is the perfect game. 

Gave Child of Eden another go and was left with the same feelings as first time around - the game's music just isn't as catchy as Rez, and suffers for it. 

Been playing Forza 4 and its just a lovely game, really like dipping in and out of that. The handling feels lovely, and when the assists are off (including the rewind) it really pushes me to concentrate.  Just got hold of Forza Horizon 2, so looking forward to giving that a go. I know its different from the Xbone game but I won't know any better so its all good. 

1 hour ago, Broken Thumbs said:

I have OutRun Online Arcade downloaded for the PS3, and whilst it is absolutely beautiful, it doesn't seem to have any rumble, something which really adds to the game and feels missing. Wish I'd bought it on 360. 

make sure you’re using a DualShock3, and not a SixAxis pad? 

Yup, checked and it’s a DualShock. Worth checking though. 

Looking online, one comment suggested the rumble is so light that you can’t feel it. Anyway, never mind, I’m still glad I have it.

I have two knackered 360s - one the HDMI port doesn't work and doesn't want to read disks, the other just sounds like a jet taking off whenever it's on. What's best to do with them? Ebay as "spares / repairs"? Fix them? Novelty doorstops?

42 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I have two knackered 360s - one the HDMI port doesn't work and doesn't want to read disks, the other just sounds like a jet taking off whenever it's on. What's best to do with them? Ebay as "spares / repairs"? Fix them? Novelty doorstops?

when you say the 360s - one HDMI port doesn't work 

is that a 360s with a knackered HDMI port, like, the "S"mall one? What about the other AV port? Does the older AV cable work in that?

image.png.c271bcb923adba649cbd1bd169f068d1.png

the jet engine you might probably be able x-clamp it to calm the fan the fuck down.

Yeah, the AV port works fine. Though it also seems to have stopped reading disks.

How do I X clamp a 360? What is an X clamp?

1 minute ago, ScouserInExile said:

Yeah, the AV port works fine. Though it also seems to have stopped reading disks.

How do I X clamp a 360? What is an X clamp?

It’s improving/repairing the cooling for the Cpu/gpu so it doesn’t overheat, causing the fan to kick off. Or just try vacuuming the fan.

Just now, SeanR said:

Or just try vacuuming the fan

I've done that. I absolutely butchered it a while back getting it opened and cleaned out all the dust and crap. Still really loud.

I got bored and started looking at Xbox 360 heat sinks and I feel like I’ve stumbled upon my own personal conspiracy theory. My grassy knoll:

921708F5-4A6A-4C18-B6B5-92E7232BBA05.jpeg.6b5a2d7e93045bc19cb746982b3dd476.jpeg

Surely the duct and the GPU heat sink where, at one point, meant to extend upwards to fill that obvious rectangular space? It’s a space occupied by the optical drive in real life but it’s designed as if, at the last minute, they had to carve all that material out to make the drive fit. It’s not even an aerodynamic shape.

I've recently set up my 360 (an 'E' I bought a few years ago, just in case) and started digging through a bunch of games I've been buying on ebay. Man, this really was the greatest console ever, wasn't it? It nailed everything so well - like leaderboards, achievements, demos for every game. In fact, lots of what it seemed to get right almost feels as though it's been forgotten since. The control pad feels great, the updates take seconds, everything just feels so good...

Not only that, the games still look great. I think, if I was still playing 360 games, I wouldn't feel too hard done by. I've been hitting "Space Marine" pretty hard, and really enjoying it. Looks amazing, feels chunky. Outrun 2 Live still plays wonderfully... I think I might just fill up my house with 360 games. And, given they mostly seem to be 4 or 5 quid each, that doesn't seem an unreasonable aim!

• Upvote 1

Another Spiritual Successor to the Dreamcast...

It really is something else. Such an amazing library of games.

Right, I’m getting mine out the garage

I’ve been going through my download history including rando-videos from more than a decade ago for all sorts of different things. Mainly e3 And halo related. 

not to mention the fact I must have downloaded every single demo made available. 

It’s a shame you can’t downgrade the UI though. 

Does it still only let you have so many game updates downloaded at once or did they actually do something about that?

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

And SeanR was never seen again. 

it literally started raining between the back door and the garage door.

and now the wife says no more consoles brought into the house until the room is cleared, and the current lot have gone upstairs.

image.thumb.jpg.5b660fcb9894eaa64e4b3f22b5509ab1.jpg

im working on it. it’s a question of where to put it all. For example:

the Saturn is out of sight in this photo

the mvs, Master System, Megadrive, nes, SNES and pc engine can all go, if I use the og Xbox for emulation.

Won’t need to get the AES out either.

The Xbox can go if I use the Wii For emulation and the 360 for bc games

but then what about the jaguar? I haven’t got that emulated on anything!

abigger st as nd? T we o st ad Nd?

• Upvote 3

my furlough has been extended for another month... :eyebrows:

The raging fever of the irrational collector takes hold... About twenty quid of games, and a mounting sense of panic about where I'll store them all.

image.thumb.png.c2824af27e8a3de8af4ac7789036c2fb.png

25 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

The raging fever of the irrational collector takes hold... About twenty quid of games, and a mounting sense of panic about when I'll play them all.

image.thumb.png.c2824af27e8a3de8af4ac7789036c2fb.png

FTFY.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

FTFY.

Oh, that's easy... "never". But I'll look at them, and that's what counts ;)

23 hours ago, SeanR said:

it literally started raining between the back door and the garage door.

and now the wife says no more consoles brought into the house until the room is cleared, and the current lot have gone upstairs.

image.thumb.jpg.5b660fcb9894eaa64e4b3f22b5509ab1.jpg

im working on it. it’s a question of where to put it all. For example:

the Saturn is out of sight in this photo

the mvs, Master System, Megadrive, nes, SNES and pc engine can all go, if I use the og Xbox for emulation.

Won’t need to get the AES out either.

The Xbox can go if I use the Wii For emulation and the 360 for bc games

but then what about the jaguar? I haven’t got that emulated on anything!

abigger st as nd? T we o st ad Nd?

Thats a fair stack of consoles but I'll see you and raise you my living room machines:

NES

SNES 

N64

Wii

Megadrive

PS2

xbox 360

HTPC with mame and a couple of other emu's.

In the front room:

Jamma arcade cabinet

Fruit machine

Spectrum 2+

Atari ST

Amiga 1200

Gaming PC

Other stuff in storage:

Amiga 600

PSP

Xbox

Duplicates of several of the above lot (you know, for redundancy purposes).

I think thats the lot but you just know in 5 minutes I'll remember another.

The prosecution rests m'lud, a clear case of gaming addiction. Take him down.

On 24/06/2020 at 16:09, ScouserInExile said:

Is that generally considered the best Outrun, then? I think it's on my "own but never played" list

As @Camel mentioned it doesn’t have everything from 2006 but there’s still enough to enjoy.

Outrun 2006 on PC is probably the “best” version to play today, and I think it’s on the Internet Archive too...

7 hours ago, new666uk said:

Thats a fair stack of consoles but I'll see you and raise you my living room machines:

NES

SNES 

N64

Wii

Megadrive

PS2

xbox 360

HTPC with mame and a couple of other emu's.

In the front room:

Jamma arcade cabinet

Fruit machine

Spectrum 2+

Atari ST

Amiga 1200

Gaming PC

Other stuff in storage:

Amiga 600

PSP

Xbox

Duplicates of several of the above lot (you know, for redundancy purposes).

I think thats the lot but you just know in 5 minutes I'll remember another.

The prosecution rests m'lud, a clear case of gaming addiction. Take him down.

the hallway

F120C530-F245-4DEF-B7CF-34B38159E93E.thumb.jpeg.1f36cf62464b43e8fd0f5c2dbdfedaea.jpeg

• Upvote 2