Jump to content

Retro gaming magazine scan archives


Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...

Just out of interest has anyone ever found scans of the early 90s game guide magazines Console XS, Super XS, SEGA XS (Early issues only).

 

Console XS only got 4 issues then got split, Super XS lasted for six issue and SEGA XS had a pretty good run, but slimed down fair quickly. The early issue were thick meaty things backs with guides, screenshots and mapped whole games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/08/2020 at 16:43, Riven said:

Just out of interest has anyone ever found scans of the early 90s game guide magazines Console XS, Super XS, SEGA XS (Early issues only).

 

Console XS only got 4 issues then got split, Super XS lasted for six issue and SEGA XS had a pretty good run, but slimed down fair quickly. The early issue were thick meaty things backs with guides, screenshots and mapped whole games.

 

I've never seen them online but I really liked Console XS when it was new – you just didn't get such in-depth guides and maps anywhere else back then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/08/2020 at 16:17, Rex Grossman said:

 

I've never seen them online but I really liked Console XS when it was new – you just didn't get such in-depth guides and maps anywhere else back then.

 

I still have the few issue I got, but I have all bar one of the Super XS issue (There were only 6) and one Console XS and One Sega XS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All

 

Was listening to the Maximum Power Up podcast with Martyn Carroll

https://www.maximumpowerup.com/episode-102-martyn-carroll-interview/

 

He mentioned that his replacement at RG (Darren who I believe is on here as @strider :)) used to do the Retro Section at GamesTM around the same time Martyn was editing RG.

 

That made me remember I never ever saw the Reto Sections of GamesTM, or really read mag at all.

Also recalled there was a DVD eMag of  first 50 issues of GamesTM.

So 1. Would that include Retro Sections? 2. Where would I grab it from - No luck on eBay....

 

Be interesting to read even if no Reto section in 1-5 as it's all reto now

 

Thanks, Andy

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HOW said:

That made me remember I never ever saw the Reto Sections of GamesTM, or really read mag at all.

 

Are you interested in paper copies? The Retro section was reprinted in 'bookazine' form each year. There's several copies on ebay at the mo.

 

The most recent issue (Vol 10) can still be bought from the publisher.

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-magazines/6938434/retro-volume-10.thtml

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2020 at 16:43, Riven said:

Just out of interest has anyone ever found scans of the early 90s game guide magazines Console XS, Super XS, SEGA XS (Early issues only).

 

Console XS only got 4 issues then got split, Super XS lasted for six issue and SEGA XS had a pretty good run, but slimed down fair quickly. The early issue were thick meaty things backs with guides, screenshots and mapped whole games.

Sega XS issues are on the Internet Archive if you are still looking for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would there be any interest for all/any of these in here?

I doubt I’ll probably read them again, but I’ve managed to keep hold of them all these years, so it seems a shame to just chuck them in the recycling. 
I’ve got an ancient printer/scanner combo thing here, if I can figure out how to connect that up and maybe if there’s software I’d need on my laptop I could possibly have a go at going through them myself. Or are iPhone snaps acceptable?


290E8514-ED56-434C-A30E-FA702AB7ACB6.thumb.jpeg.c4ad3e9b2df48ff3c86f25a2acd752ab.jpeg

 

7EE166DF-F1E9-4EE8-8424-E53C149443C7.thumb.jpeg.6ed23f9c7b06e92b1161a97da4e6dd3d.jpeg
 

418F6C5B-9970-438F-B434-71341A238009.thumb.jpeg.092c44c3e7b5ce8f99f202ca5d6c09b2.jpeg

 

B39F83A9-9994-47F7-BA8B-2672764F5E4A.thumb.jpeg.d319ff160ff1a0a042ded79e434f180c.jpeg

 

70A509AC-D58C-4FCD-BD0B-37BC941691F4.thumb.jpeg.a581d0831e944c25f32b2b395ec18a3d.jpeg

 

471E10B5-51C8-41F9-B273-7B802907224B.thumb.jpeg.22f2ae4839003b6983158a9d0cc7fd65.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 16:11, Bulldogauto said:

Sega XS issues are on the Internet Archive if you are still looking for them.

 

Thanks for the heads up, I will be taking a look many thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy to scan any that aren't scanned there, I don't have any of them already.

 

You'd want to use an actual scanner if you do it, which I have.  I've tried the iphone thing and it never really works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 13/01/2021 at 17:28, Meatball said:

Would there be any interest for all/any of these in here?

I doubt I’ll probably read them again, but I’ve managed to keep hold of them all these years, so it seems a shame to just chuck them in the recycling. 
I’ve got an ancient printer/scanner combo thing here, if I can figure out how to connect that up and maybe if there’s software I’d need on my laptop I could possibly have a go at going through them myself. Or are iPhone snaps acceptable?

 

The people at Sonic/Sega Retro have pretty comprehensive copies of most UK Sega magazines. But they are missing certain issues of Sega Zone and Mega Drive Advanced Gaming:

 

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/things-to-mirror.39197/page-7#post-973294

 

Quote

Over the course of the year we've been able to plug most of the gaps in our "Sega UK magazines" library. The UK had the most publications by far, so this was a massive task, and when Sega Retro started in 2010, the only full sets that existed were low quality scans of Mean Machines Sega and Sega (Master) Force (Mega). Now we have almost everything:

 

 

Done:

 

Dreamcast Magazine

Dreamcast Strategies

Dreamcast Tips

Mean Machines Sega

Mega

Mega Action

MegaTech

Mr. Dreamcast

Official Dreamcast Magazine

S: The Sega Magazine

Saturn Power

Sega Force

Sega Force Mega

Sega Magazine

Sega Master Force

Sega Power

Sega Saturn Magazine

Sega XS

Total Saturn

 

One issue missing:

 

DC-Tips

DC-UK

Mega Power

Saturn+

Sega Pro

Sega Zone

 

More issues missing:

 

Dreamcast Monthly

Dreamcast Solutions

Mega Machines

Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming

 

 

 

On 13/01/2021 at 17:28, Meatball said:

 

70A509AC-D58C-4FCD-BD0B-37BC941691F4.thumb.jpeg.a581d0831e944c25f32b2b395ec18a3d.jpeg

 

471E10B5-51C8-41F9-B273-7B802907224B.thumb.jpeg.22f2ae4839003b6983158a9d0cc7fd65.jpeg

 

 

They have the two issues in your photos above, but if you have any of these other issues, they'd be interested:

 

SMD Advanced Gaming is missing issues 6, 12-16, 18-20, and 22 onwards (if there were any more after that): https://retrocdn.net/Category:Sega_Mega_Drive_Advanced_Gaming_scans

 

Sega Zone is just missing issue 22: https://retrocdn.net/Category:Sega_Zone_(UK)_scans

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted the below in wanted, then realised should probably ask here too: 

 

On 27/01/2021 at 18:32, ianinthefuture said:

How do, I'm having a powerful attack of nostalgia and am looking to get the full set of Play magazines from the time I worked on it.

 

I've sorted most of them thanks to Archive.org, but there's a few I just can't find outside of £6-15 apiece on eBay, and honestly my yearning/nostalgia isn't that strong.

 

..

Issues I'm missing:

209
204
199
189
186
185
184
183

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.