GAME returns

Sonic.Mirrorz

:ph34r::)

yeah... an "indie"

;):lol:

I'm sorry, I really don't unersatnd what you are getting at here.

In my store, we had about 3 direct competitors.

We only broke early if they had done before us.

In some cases (mainly Nintendo titles) we were not allowed to sell early in any circumstances, and lost custom as a result.

why don't game just add the stipulation that the game returned under the 10 day policy MUST be in mint condition, otherwise you can stick it up your arse?

Though re-selling even mint returns 'as-new' is also illegal, as far as I understand.

:ph34r:  :)

yeah... an "indie"

;)  :lol:

In some cases (mainly Nintendo titles) we were not allowed to sell early in any circumstances, and lost custom as a result.

I consider myself neutral in this arguement as i rarely go to game and when i do its because they have the best offer. But i have to say that GAME/EB have to be the most low down dirty and unprofessional company i have ever seen.

I remember when computer exchange first opened in brum (it just to be awesome), EB were losing enough bussiness to them, do you know what they did? They conducted a smear campaign. They ahd lackies in black suits and ties (no joke... sinister bouncer types) standing outside the CEX store telling customers this and that about CEX, i told them to fuck off and get some good offers instead of "hey kids tarde in 6 PSX games and only pay 19.99 for tomb raider 2" type scams.

Im always ready to believe the worst of GAME/EB. Shittest company on the high street. FFS you dont see HMV workers picketing virgin.

oh and they blatently lie about stock when you want to price match. fuckers.

When they collect your details, they are breaking the DPA because it now applies to paper based records too.

They must not collect more data than necessary, and they must be able to explain why they need the data when asked.

(When Uxorious asked - they had no idea why it was being collected or how it was to be used.)

Personal data must be kept secure, up-to-date and not longer than actually necessary.

Leaving a book of details on a shop counter for anyone to see... breaks this rule too.

So just don't give them your address.... and if they were circulating photos of offenders... oh my.... there is a data protection nightmare!! Especially as the offender technically hasn't done anything wrong!

These are extreme, exagerated examples IMO.

In any company there will be dodgy branches, just as there are also excellent branches.

Please let us know of where any of these excellent branches are, since I've shpped in (I estimate) 15 different game stores and every one of them has been diabolical.

Tim ™

:ph34r:  :)

yeah... an "indie"

;)  :lol:

What he is getting at is that while this may have been the policy when you worked at Game, it isn't the policy now. See the GTA Double Pack debacle.

I've only been gone for 6 months, and to be honest I don't give a shit.

ANd quite frankly I'm amazed soembody who hates GAME so much has bothered trying 15 different branches.

I'm also amazed you have had bad service in every single one.

What is the GTA double pack debacle?

I've never had any problems when shopping in Game in Cambridge. Service has always been quick and courteous and staff are always lurking round asking if they can help. I've never knowingly received a second-hand game in place of new. I've certainly never enountered any rudeness like you can sometimes get in other types of shops.

I tend not to buy in Game because of their prices but they're far, far better than places like Dixons.

They must not collect more data than necessary, and they must be able to explain why they need the data when asked.

(When Uxorious asked - they had no idea why it was being collected or how it was to be used.)

Personal data must be kept secure, up-to-date and not longer than actually necessary.

Leaving a book of details on a shop counter for anyone to see... breaks this rule too.

Ah, well, see, if they're leaving the book in plain view, not knowing why they're doing it, not disposing of the books after a certain time period and not attempting to stop customers looking at previous customers data, then they are breaking it.

I'm sorry, I was just going by the straight 'it's breaking the act' thing. I work in a non-games store which takes details down for the purpose of filling in of TV licensing forms/warranty purposes, securely disposes of the details after one year and all that stuff... and still gets the occasional customer turn up and moan at us threatening to take us to trading standards or whatever. We're right, Game is wrong. ;)

Data must only be used for the purpose that it was collected for. If they collect your name to make sure they don't get given a broken copy by a customer and then use it to hand around details to deny people returns, then they are breaking that act.

I've only been gone for 6 months, and to be honest I don't give a shit.

ANd quite frankly I'm amazed soembody who hates GAME so much has bothered trying 15 different branches.

I'm also amazed you have had bad service in every single one.

What is the GTA double pack debacle?

The GTA Double Pack debacle - Game started selling it on December 23rd. Nobody else did; virtually no indies had even received their stock by then. It was a company-wide decision to release it, not on a store-by-store basis considering local competition.

This is all based on articles and letters in MVC from all sides.

I don't hate Game. I find them unworthy of their dominance in the marketplace, but they do occasionally have good offers in. Unfortunately, when their good offers include new games, I've frequently had pre-owned goods given to me. Saves on a GBA cart? Yep. Saves on a Memory Card 59? Yep. Broken button on a DC controller? Yep.

Not in a single branch have I ever been served with anything but disdain.

I would really like to know where the "excellent" branches are.

Obviously it's just personal experience isn't it?

I must have been in and bought from 10 different stores, and I've never had shoddy goods or service.

Have you been too nay in the midlands?

Apart from slightly distracted service in the Arndale Centre in Manchester, they've been fine.

The GTA Double Pack debacle - Game started selling it on December 23rd. Nobody else did; virtually no indies had even received their stock by then. It was a company-wide decision to release it, not on a store-by-store basis considering local competition.

Actually this is not true Game in Ireland did not start selling it until after the new year, and this was in direct repsonse to a competitor breaking the street date.

I must have been in and bought from 10 different stores, and I've never had shoddy goods or service.

Apart from slightly distracted service in the Arndale Centre in Manchester, they've been fine.

Err.. Attractive female customer is always going to be treated nicely.

Especially by the sort of geeks who work in game stores. They are probably terrified of you.

And before anyone gets offended I worked in a computer game store when I was 16 too.

Especially by the sort of geeks who work in game stores. They are probably terrified of you.

And before anyone gets offended I worked in a computer game store when I was 16 too.

The terrified ones ran away and didn't serve me.

The same when I was behind the counter.

The customers would stare at the counter blushing furiously, or refuse to be served by me at all, because I was a girl so obviously have no clue about games.

When they spoke to a male member of staff, most of the time they had to ask me anyway!

Grrrrr!

When they collect your details, they are breaking the DPA because it now applies to paper based records too.

So just don't give them your address.... and if they were circulating photos of offenders... oh my.... there is a data protection nightmare!! Especially as the offender technically hasn't done anything wrong!

Is that a recent change?

I was always under the impression that the DPA specifically applied only to information stored on computers.

The terrified ones ran away and didn't serve me.

The same when I was behind the counter.

The customers would stare at the counter blushing furiously, or refuse to be served by me at all, because I was a girl so obviously have no clue about games.

When they spoke to a male member of staff, most of the time they had to ask me anyway!

Grrrrr!

You should have worn a gurdle and a cap ;)

I've never had any problems when shopping in Game in Cambridge. Service has always been quick and courteous and staff are always lurking round asking if they can help. I've never knowingly received a second-hand game in place of new. I've certainly never enountered any rudeness like you can sometimes get in other types of shops.

I tend not to buy in Game because of their prices but they're far, far better than places like Dixons.

I have bought from Game in Cambridge aswell and i cant say ive had any

problems. When i buy a new game i have always received sealed copies. You know they are sealed because they are all in a glass cabinet behind the counter.

Game only sell early when an local indie is doing the same.

Rubbish, and you know it.

Hey, remember that game that GAME and Gamestation got delivery of just before Christmas day? It was called GTA: Double Pack for Xbox.

Guess who was first to break the release date nationwide? That's right, GAME. And it has been done before.

Relating to a later post: the GAME at the bottom of the Bullring is useless. I asked if they had Ring of Red (heard it was less than a fiver) in, he said: "No, we don't." I asked if he was absolutely certain, and if I was to search now if there would be one, he said "definitely won't be one there".

I asked if they had Mad Maestro too. He said no.

I look on the shelves, 10 seconds later, I picked out two copies of Ring of Red and one Mad Maestro, the useless cock. And he was generally just uninviting and stubborn.

GAME in my town is full of pricks. They've come into our store (Gamestation), and a couple of them have dragged customers back to their store with the allure of "better offers", which is bollocks.

GAME are a shit company, through and through, like has been said, the special offers are the only half decent things.

Rubbish, and you know it.

Hey, remember that game that GAME and Gamestation got delivery of just before Christmas day? It was called GTA: Double Pack for Xbox.

Guess who was first to break the release date nationwide? That's right, GAME. And it has been done before.

Relating to a later post: the GAME at the bottom of the Bullring is useless. I asked if they had Ring of Red (heard it was less than a fiver) in, he said: "No, we don't." I asked if he was absolutely certain, and if I was to search now if there would be one, he said "definitely won't be one there".

I asked if they had Mad Maestro too. He said no.

I look on the shelves, 10 seconds later, I picked out two copies of Ring of Red and one Mad Maestro, the useless cock. And he was generally just uninviting and stubborn.

GAME in my town is full of pricks. They've come into our store (Gamestation), and a couple of them have dragged customers back to their store with the allure of "better offers", which is bollocks.

GAME are a shit company, through and through, like has been said, the special offers are the only half decent things.

Excuse me, but it's not.

Not in the store I worked in for over 2 years.

I wasn't there at Christmas, so I can't comment.

One in Derby, one in Burton-on-Trent?

May I add that the one in Burton-on-Trent seems to have recently had a new manager, and has improved remarkably. Oh, and the Derby branch of GAME is pretty bad... even worse than the old Gamestation staff there. Gamestation now have friendly staff, and GAME now.. well.. don't.

Actually, they still aren't great. My main problem is they seem to take at least 5 minutes to serve a customer a single game. If this was any other shop, the employees would have got fired by now, and this causes huge queues which is a pain.

I'm not a particular fan of GAME and, in my opinion, they symbolise what is wrong with the games industry along with Sony and EA: huge-ass companies, that were good at one point they now have become multinational companies where their trying to make maximum profit through abusing their power/influence and their huge bank balances.

Not that the Blockbuster-owned Gamestation would much better in GAMEs position...

You're perfectly okay to not fill it in if you don't want to, as far as I know.

But you're wrong to say it's against the Data Protection Act.

You're wrong, the data protection act has to ensure privacy of data - at game, I can honest say it's not very private. I was reading other peoples details - and that the details are appropriate and relevant. If they can't tell you why they need the info, then they are in clear contravension of the Data Protection Act.

Yay, I knew GNVQ IT would come in useful.